“To be avoided unless refurbished...”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Strasbourg, France
“To be avoided unless refurbished...”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Damn I didn't expect that!

I had a really pleasant check-in by a swiss gentleman so I didn't expect to check-in in a hotel that is stocked in the 80's!

Fair enough I didn't pay a 5* deluxe rate but even if the room was large it was the most depressing room I've been too! It's so dated. The color scheme is passed and the equipment more than basic for this level. I don't need fancy room but I stayed in more attractive room in 2* hotel.

I went to their bar that was refurbished lately and when the decor is good service takes ages! It even seems that they don't want to serve you sometimes but when they do it's ok... No I would say average for what you pay...

Otherwise I had breakfast and it was a good moment but because I felt in a Danny Boyle movie...

All together if you can stay away as the Ibis close by looked better than this one!

Room Tip: I assume only the sea view room worth a penny there...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read that on this occassion we failed to meet your expectations of us here at the hotel. I can confirm that we are about to start a refurbishment programme of the bedrooms here and hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Damian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The hotel badly needs a revamp. The door key did not work and could not be fixed during our stay so we had to be let in my hotal staff every time we returned to the room. The handle between the bedroom and bathroom was broken and generally the room was in a run down state.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this for my boyfriends birthday, was quite dubious after seeing some of the reviews on here but must say I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I booked a standard double with breakfast included. The room was lovely, although I can see where some people could chose to be picky but felt it was unnecessary when you take into account the whole atmosphere of the place. We had dinner in the evening in the restaurant, although pricey the food was fantastic and service excellent. The breakfast was a buffet with everything you could of wanted and more!

Thank you hilton brighton for a lovely birthday experience, would definitely come again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed you stay whilst celebrating your boyfriends birthday, and hope to see you again next year.

Regards
Howard
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have just returned from a weekend break in Brighton at the Hilton Metrolpole. Despit the rain Brighton never failed to entertain us with plenty of bars and shopping. Unfortunatly the Hotel was not quite of the standard I was hoping for. After paying the £18 per night car park fee, there is no direct access in to the hotel from the car park, leaving you dragging your suitcases around the streets. Once in the hotel, the reception staff were very polite and helpful. The room itself (615) a seaview delux plus, could only be described as average. It had plenty of room, and was nice and clean, but just lacked any sense of style or luxery, and apart from the veiw, could easily be compared to a travel lodge.

1 Thank Jason G
Eastbourne
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed there few times in the past recent years but this time would be the last. There is no free car park, you have to pay for the WiFi (most , even cheap ones do offer free WiFi) . We stayed there this week end which was pretty windy outside and the room was cold due to draft coming through the window despite thick curtains. I looked for a spare blanket but unfortunately there was not any! The heating system did not work , button for temperature was broken so no chance to get warm!, There was no matt in the bathroom (very slippery tiled floor!!) people were slamming their doors, to make sure it closed properly, that's explain the very loud noise in the corridor, not very nice when it happens in the middle of the night. We stayed in few different Hilton but never had such a bad experience . The ladies changing room was not very clean either, lots of hair on the floor, no shampoo, no body wash (was empty).
The good points are:
Nice staff at the front desk, the swimming pool. impressive building, very comfortable beds, that would be all.
The hotel would need re -decorating, its a little bit tired.

Room Tip: Nice wet facilities, sauna, steam room , jacuzzi, and pool.
1 Thank Sup71
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Friendliness and professionalism of staff exceptional. Always made to feel welcome and looked after. Good recreational facilities, bar food on the expensive side, however good value restaurant menu. Location perfect however sea view rooms can be noisy during stormy weather!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and hope if we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel the weather will be better for you.

Kind Regards

Damian
Reading
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here when I was in Brighton for an event. I was travelling alone and booked a single room on a hotel booking site. I've stayed in Hilton's before and generally find them to be very good, though they are a more expensive chain option.

The hotel is really impressive from the outside and the communal areas are lovely. The dining room where you have breakfast is beautiful the reception area is great, and there are wide sweeping stair cases and hallways. The rooms themselves are possibly a little tired. I don't know if larger rooms were a little better but my room, while clean, and servicable was a bit worn at the edges. The bath was also really small and I couldn't properly lie back in it. The hotel was also quite hot and there was no way of altering the temperature of the room.

That said, I had a really good night's sleep and breakfast was great, so I can't complain about the hotel. I think it just needs a bit of a spruce up and the price is a little higher and I am not sure what you get that wouldn't get in a chain like a premier inn.

One point about my room is that I had a kettle and tea and coffee, but no cup only a glass. I presume this was an oversight though!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo