“Dangerous stay at the Hilton”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Dangerous stay at the Hilton”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I am currently staying at the Hilton for a conference. On checking in yesterday, I was told that I was allocated a smoking room. Being a non smoker and pregnant, I had insist on an alternative room. I was told that the only other room available was an adapted room 156, I accepted the room.

The room looked very tired and dirty. Last night, as I turned the lights out and put my head down on the pillow, I heard a bang. As I turned the lights on, I saw that the wooden headboard had broken and fallen off the bed, just missing my head. I ended up having to pack my room in the middle of the night as the night staff moved me to another room.

I travel a lot and I stay in various hotels, this has got the worst hotel experience ever.

I am so disappointed, but glad that I only have one more night to go.

• Stayed March 2014
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 3 April 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies in regards to the headboard, my Chief Engineer has now inspected the room and taken appropriate action.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to speak with our Guest Relations Manager in regards to the incident during your stay, which your concerns were resolved before checking out.

Howard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I got a good impression from the hotel, but then again I think I got what I paid for. For the same price as a basic room at the grand I got a deluxe king with sea view - and whilst the room had started to show a few signs of wear and tear - it was very clean and everything worked as it should. Yes the hotel has the hilton name but actually I don't think it really carries hilton prices.

I agree with someone else's comments about the 'spa'. the gym was really well equipped and clean, and the actual pool looked clean, but to advertise a spa experience is seriously misleading.

The reception staff were very efficient and friendly, as were the waiting on staff. We didn't use the bar in the evening but breakfast was good with a lot of choice.

Location is great, and yes I would stay again, however I would have to pay that bit extra to guarantee a decent room, which I think is a shame.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you say the hotel does have a very good location and is in easy reach of all the local attraction Brighton is famous for.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

As part of a large corporate function I was extremely impressed with the attitude of the bar staff, in particular Katie. She maintained an excellent level of service throughout the wee small hours as many people took advantage of the corporate function and flowing drinks. Helping to ensure our event was made memorable, Katie was the perfect host, balancing the tough act of being professional and personable while making excellent drinks.

Thanks for helping to make our conference experience so pleasurable.

CJR

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CJR1965

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable. Your feedback has been shared with both the relevant members of my team and with Katie.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My friend and I stayed here Saturday having booked a spa break. I'll start with the positives, great location, reception staff friendly, the main hotel areas including our room were clean and tidy, the pool was a lovely temperature, breakfast was good and the room was a good size.
The negatives, I really don't think this hotel should advertise 'spa breaks' and should instead state they have a beauty salon, pool, steam room, sauna and gym.
We arrived at 12.30 as our treatments were booked for 1.30. The queue to check in was large. The luggage person suggested he take our bags as check in is at 3pm and you are unable to take your bags down to the spa with you. The issue with this is we had swimwear and gymwear which we needed to take with us. We were shown to a chair where we could sort out our things and carry them.
We then went down to the 'spa'. On arrival we were handed a towel and slippers ( no robe), we were shown to the changing area and given a locker key. We were also told they would try to check us in but we never heard anything about that again. We were not shown around and it's quite a maze and spread out.
The changing room smelt like sewage, the curtains do not pull across the cubicles. We changed and went to find the lounge area where we were told we could have teas and coffees, and read magazines before our treatments. What there actually is are plastic water cups, half a jug of luke warm water, a selection of tea bags and coffee sachets on a bench. There was no water dispenser or fountain. There were a few copies of the same magazine and a couple of dirty sofas.
The treatments were ok, the massage good and the facial relaxing, although i wasn't asked about my skin type, just 'any issues'? The treatment beds don't have face pads, towels are used instead which I found uncomfortable, although my friend said it was fine for her.
Next the showers, they are mouldy and full of hair, one clump was so large it looked like a rodent. The whole hotel including the spa was cold. I was however given a blanket during the facial.
The toilets were out of order although we were not told on arrival and there was no sign, I was told to use the men's and the beautician would wait outside. The cubicle door didn't shut or lock.
Lots of bulbs throughout the hotel had blown and a few lights were cracked / broken.
The steam room is very disappointing and unlike any I have ever used. Whilst it's steamy, it's also soggy and tiled. The constant water dripping on you from the ceiling detracted from the experience.
The relaxation room is in my view not relaxing, it's dark, there are small wooden beds set out like a dormitory, a few plug in heaters and a water machine which we assumed was out if order as it had the cover on.
At 3pm, we got dressed and went to check in, the queue was long and it took about 30- 40 mins. From there were went to the bar for a drink, we ordered 2 cocktails and 2 sandwiches. We then waited 25minutes for our drinks to arrive ( having been told they would bring them to us) and 40mins for our sandwiches. These were steak and very fatty with large lumps of gristle.
We then headed back downstairs, at which point a hen party arrived. There was very little room and we had not been informed any large parties were booked in either at booking or on arrival.
In summary, the spa is not a tranquil, or a relaxing place to be. There is no where to sit apart from the dirty sofas, the wooden beds or the couple of benches by the pool ( which all had towels on.
After we swam we went back to change in the smelly changing room. There was no room to change as it was so full, the hen party was now getting ready to go out. Instead we had to walk up to our room in our swimwear wrapped in our towels. ( I have nothing against people having fun but in my opinion the 'spa' was overbooked).
On existing the lift we were greeted by a cleaning tray, right in front of the door where you step out ( we moved it to one side to prevent a future accident), and later saw a member of cleaning staff walk past it.
The plugs in the room were unusual, there were no spare, so we unplugged the kettle and alarm. Neither our hair dryer or our chargers would work probably, the charger not at all in one plug and when the hair drier was plugged in it dimmed the lights.
Our room faced a wall, this was fine as we weren't there for the views, also the windows were so dirty you couldn't see clearly anyway. I assume this is due to the seafront location and salt as opposed to anything else.
There was a glass on the floor In the corridor when we arrived, it was still there when we left.
On check out we were asked if we had received the invoice under our door, we hadn't! We were then told our bill was double what we expected, we queried it and was told she would print off an itemised account. She then said she couldn't and wrote down the 3 amounts, one for the drinks, one the sandwiches and one the service charge. I am appalled about paying a service charge for something we had to wait such a long time for. We weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay, I imagine she knew the answer.....
I have never written such a negative review but on this occasion feel it is necessary. The 'spa' break is more expensive than a neighbouring hotel and I feel not worth the additional expense. If you want a room in Brighton for the night and maybe want a swim and a treatment it may be for you but if you are expecting a spa break, I would look elsewhere. I wish I had read the reviews, not what you expect from a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrsTLB

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointing Spa break.

I have shared your comments with my Director of Operations Damian Meadows who would also like to offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss your stay with you in more detail to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please contact the hotel directly on 01273 775432 and ask to speak to Damian Meadows Director of Operations details he would be more than happy to call you.

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

England
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Was really surprised to find this hotel to be so dirty, I found hair on bathroom floor, fingerprints on mirrors, marks on glasses, sticky bathroom floor! yuk . Was really surprised, looks like The Grand from the outside, its a shame really, such a beautiful building, needs a refurb, lighting was broken, wallpaper coming off of walls. On the plus side, breakfast very good, staff very friendly and polite. A lot needs to be looked at if they want to charge the amount they do charge. We wont be going here again, rather pay a little bit more and stay at The Grand. Also a lot of hen and stag parties, drinking and drunks in a lot of the reception and public areas, gatherings out the front of hotel, drunk and loud groups, more like a travel inn. It felt like a lot of the drunken groups had taken over hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zoe123England

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the level of cleanliness of your room. I have discussed your feedback with my Rooms Divisions Manager to share with his housekeeping team.

Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I travelling to Brighton with my Son and booked Hilton through an external booking site. The pictures showing room types were absolutely no true reflection on what we were presented with. Our first room was extremely basic, large but bare with an unmade bed and it was more fitting to a 2* hotel. It was really disappointing. I immediately complained and we were offered a different room which was better but again not as the picture on the website. The pictures were apparently of updated rooms and there were no refurbished rooms available, so we stuck with the second room. At 7pm the following morning we were awoken by a staff member entering our room, which gave us a fright, they apologised and left. Next we had extremely loud shouting and machinery bring used directly outside our room window. It was so bad that I recorded it. Upon showing this to the hotel manager we were given a voucher for a free overnight stay which we accepted. I was very disappointed in the stay here and would be reluctant to use the hotel again. The location is fab though,

• Stayed July 2013

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was very sorry to see that we had failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. Whilst we will always endeavour to meet guest requests unfortunately these cannot be guaranteed when the hotel is particularly busy. Your comments regarding your room have been noted and shared with the relevant management and I apologise for any disappointment.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us, when using your voucher.

Harpenden
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Well to tell the truth, our stay was free on Hilton Honors but we were pleasantly surprised to a) be upgraded to a lovely seafront room, b) given drinks vouchers, c) found chocolates and sparkling wine in the room. Thank you very much Hilton.

Also, nice to have 2 pots of tea in the bar for £5.80. Good value. Generally everything was nice about our stay from the staff, the room, the breakfast. Yes the car park is a bit of a pain to get to and a bit dark, yes, some parts of the hotel were a little jaded but overall, very nice

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and look forward to you returning soon.