“Nice Hotel but…….”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The room was big and comfortable with a wonderful view of the sea. The breakfast was quite nice with lots of variety and the restaurant is simply old world lovely. That said, the service could use some help. When we arrived there was a long line at the check in desk and only two people around who seemed to just chat endlessly with the guests. It seemed to take forever to get to the front of the line. Check out was better as we were in the same long line but the concierge too our key when we told him we had no charges. The hall outside our room had dirty room-service trays and housekeeping carts that sat around for the whole of our 24 hour stay, or seemed to. Didn't feel very tidy. All in all, a pretty historic hotel but could do better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amy W
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was very sorry to read that we had failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. I would also like to apologise for the delayed service you received upon your check in, these are certainly not the standards we are striving to achieve.

Your feedback will be shared with the relevant management team.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel, while in a great location, had awful rooms. My room was hot and small, with a stained carpet and an air vent stuck on with sticky tape. The window only opened a fraction so I was unable to get any air into the room. I was provided with a fan upon request, and my colleague actally had a much nicer room, so overall, hit and miss. Staff were great though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I would like to offer my apologies for the stand of your room, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

Our bedroom refurbishment programme will be continued in to 2015, which will see some of our older rooms being added.

However it is always a pleasure to ready that our guests find our team to be friendly and helpful during their stay.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Eight of us came as part of my hen weekend to the Hilton for afternoon tea. We were offered a nice long set of tables with comfy chairs and were asked for our drink choices, but weren't offered a menu to see the different tea available. Luckily for me as a non tea drinker, juice and soft drinks were also offered. The glass teapots were pretty cool but I'm not sure they worked too well in practice - the other girls were waiting ages for the tea to brew and it never seemed quite dark enough.

When the food came the amount provided seemed fairly lacking with one (not large) tower between two. At other afternoon teas I've left with a doggy bag, feeling full. Although more scones were provided later there was only one (small) scone each, which when cut open were found to be raw in the middle. At this point we found that we hadn't been given plates and had to use the saucers for the time being. The waitress we told about the plates and scones was very apologetic and dealt with the situation quickly, but we then had to wait 15 minutes whilst more were cooked. I would say that at least they were fresh, but many of us weren't convinced this meant the dough was made fresh - the scones came out with a strange, slightly greenish yellow tinge.
We were then told that they had run out of clotted cream (really not on!) and we were given semi whipped cream and butter instead.

We were told at the beginning that the price had been reduced and I can't help feeling that this was a reflection of the quality, which they must have known had gone down. One of my friends had had afternoon tea at the London Hilton which was really good, so it's a shame that the Brighton Hilton did not live up to the same high standard.
When the bill came we were given one afternoon tea and a couple of extra drinks free without having to ask so we were satisfied with the outcome, if not with the tea itself.

On a side note, we had also used the spa and as we had come from another hotel we had to use the bag hold a few times. The system (what system?) to access this was rubbish and it was so hard to find anyone to ask. One time I followed another couple who were also waiting to the room and asked if I could quickly get to my bag at the same time, the member of staff seemed very harassed and hurried me, it came across quite rude. This needs improvement!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Issey H
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read we did not reach expectations on your recent visit for afternoon tea, and would like to offer my apologies.

I can confirm that on Thursday 8th May we are re- launching our Waterhouse afternoon tea and also introducing our brand new afternoon tea with a twist, Tea by the Sea - Seaside Delights.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when I am confident that you will note a marked improvement.

I would also like to apologise for the lack of service you received from our Concierge your comments have been discussed with the Front Office Manager, at the very outset please accept my unreserved apologies that my team did not demonstrate the service levels which we are normally so proud of.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

seeing some of the reviews, worried about stay.
however, pleasantly surprised.
check in 5 minutes!
lovely room 603. view not great but only used for overnight.
check out 5 minutes.
was this the same hotel as some of the negative reviews?
very quiet at night, nice bed no faults that we could see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KeithJ_10

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you return soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

On the plus side - good location, majority of staff good and breakfast had a good choice.

But...the wifi (free thankfully as at a conference) was hopeless and the connection dropped at least every 5 mins forcing you to re-apply the password.

My room had been refurbished as it was quite modern & tidy, but maintenance was lacking - the basin was cracked and the tap so loose & wobbly that you had to hold the tap with one hand to steady it before it could be used

The air con fans outside were very noisy, so opening window was out. The room had air con but the min temp was 18C and it reset to 21C when you left the room so always boiling.

The bed was very creaky and only a 4'6 - which was ok for one but would be small for 2. This seems to be a hilton trait - as does paper thin walls - I could hear every word of the conversation next door!

Restaurant closed on 2 of the 3 nights I was there. Booked in for the last night but when I arrived they had no booking for me - luckily there was space & other diners so it was open.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank iFeedback

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment and would like to offer my apologies for the stand of your room, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I´m not sure if I stayed in the same hotel as other reviewers... Upon reading these reviews before arrival, I was so concerned I e mailed the hotel. We had these rooms booked for months for a wedding and both myself and my Husband were arriving straight from work where we´d been for over 2 months and wanted a relaxing stay rather than some of the horror stories on here. I didn't however receive a response to this e mail.

I checked in early (I had called the hotel prior to my arrival and advised of my early flight so early check in) and this was accommodated both free and without fuss. Due to this, there was not a substantial queue. However, at normal check in time, the queue was quite horrific - this is a valid issue which people have mentioned and the Hilton need to work on desperately. Antonio I think was the man´s name who checked me in. He mentioned they had received my e mail and had provided us with room We were not asked at check in regarding upgrades but other people in our party were. Not the end of the world but it would have been nice to be asked.

The room itself was substantial for a hotel room. The window had been left open so it was not stiflingly hot. The bathroom was ok, not great but more than enough for our 3 night stay. No soap however but we did have our own shower gel which we washed our hands with. No shower cap either. I did not mention either of these to the hotel staff but during our 3 day stay we did not have these. But a great bed which was enormous and very comfortable! The room had no view but that was ok.

The room wasn't cleaned until very late in the afternoon. Given the size of this hotel that is to be expected. We also didn't hear anyone else either side of us or in the corridors.

The problem came the first day at breakfast. I had called weeks prior to enquire whether breakfast was included. I was told it was. In my e mail mentioned above, I said that as breakfast was included, I am a celiac and Crohn´s sufferer who has specific dietary requirements and went on to list them and to ensure these were available at breakfast; seeing as it was included, I would like things I could eat. When we went to breakfast, we were told it was not included in the room rate. At £18p.p. there was no way I was paying that to eat there. I was told to sit down and the staff would sort it out. Not knowing whether to start eating or not, after 5 or so minutes where the same guy was still showing people to their seats, I went to reception and again spoke to Antonio and explained the situation. It was essentially a ´he said, she said´ situation whereby neither side had any evidence to back up what was being argued. I appreciated that fact and said that we would go elsewhere for breakfast. At this point, Antonio said that he would welcome to opportunity to sort this out and he would include complimentary breakfast. I was very impressed with him and he was the stand out star of your team. There were a lot of people with complimentary breakfast listed, maybe other people had the same issue.

Every staff member we encountered were polite and helpful contrary to reviews on here.

The smell of chlorine is exceptionally strong and needs addressing as does the prices at the bar. £3.25 for a 200ml or 330ml bottle of Sprite is excessive.

However, all in all, a great stay for us. Not sure if we´ll be back. Clearly, the people on here with what has to be genuine grumbles which the management never address in their response seems to lend itself to you taking a gamble when booking this hotel. Our gamble paid off, not sure if I´d take that chance again personally.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SpanishScouse

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Thank you for the mixed bag of compliments and constructive criticism which I really do appreciate regarding your recent stay.

It is always a pleasure to read when one of our team members has provided a wonderful experience and service during a guests stay. The positive comments on Antonio have been shared with both Antonio and my Reception Manager.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I spent the weekend here the staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful, the bedroom had beautiful views of the sea and the breakfast was wholesome and filling.

Will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are gorgeous... little bit more but worth it.