“Oh dear! I feel there MAY BE a rip-off at Brighton Hilton Metropole............”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Checked in and then had a DELICIOUS lunch in the bar - was described as a sandwich but was so much more - very tasty indeed - and a FAB couple of Pimms with lots of fruit - no shortcuts there! Bar staff lovely! I booked for the two of us via an offer on the BRIGHTON HILTON website (this is important as it wasn't the main Hilton website). Next morning went to get breakfast and found out it wasn't included EVEN THO I'VE BOOKED THIS PARTICULAR OFFER QUITE A FEW TIMES!. The dining staff were very helpful indeed and took me to reception to query it, but reception told me I probably mis-read the offer. I said no, it didn't say Room Only like I've seen before on the offers! We coughed up another £35 to have breakfast! (If I was more awake I would have said no thanks, I'll go to Macdonalds but there you go!). I re-checked the website I had originally used and nowhere did it say "Room Only". I feel we were "had". Am peeved! Oh well, await hearing if in due course something can be done. Meantime I highly praise the breakfast staff who were very understanding and kind!

Room Tip: Go for the best you can afford as some rooms are shall we say in need of overhaul. Its not the staff...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of the disappointment and inconvenience that you encountered during your stay.

Please could you provide your confirmation number and the name the room was booked under to my Director of Operations Damian Meadows.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

So you query regarding your breakfast can be investigated further.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

hotel was pretty good. Good breakfast. Car was vandalised in the car park. A couple of items left in the room never arrived in lost property so either the cleaners did not do their job when we left or they failed to hand the items in. Perhaps not entirely the fault of the hotel but a disappointing stay

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have to stay in Brighton often due to my young daughter living near there and have stayed here on three occasions now.

The first time I paid a great deal and had a deluxe sea view room, this was an excellent room but I couldn't say it was worth the money.

On the last occasion, we had a family room and it was totally appalling, I've stayed in higher quality B&B's. We had booked dinner in the restaurant but after having to wait over an hour for the first part of our dinner to arrive, which was my daughters main course before her starter!!!! We and about four other couples walked out of the restaurant. We were told the delay was due to them being short staffed and there was a large party being held there, sorry, but not my problem!!!!!

On this occasion, the price we were charged for room only was far in excess of the quality of stay.

I think the Travelodge around the corner is better value for money.

If you read my other reviews, readers will see that I don't mind low standard accomodation but I don't want to pay top dollar for it.... I have stayed in some very basic accomodation that has been acceptable but the price has always reflected the standard.

This hotel does not win my vote of confidence.

Room Tip: You 'could' say. it's worth paying for a deluxe room as the quality and standard are far...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was very sorry to see that we had failed to meet your expectations in cartain areas. Your comments regading your room have been noted and shared with the relevant management and l apologise for any disapointment.

I would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays with us, if you would be able to give me a contact number at damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The price we were charged for room only was far in excess of the quality of stay. The A/C in the room was noisy to the point of keeping us awake. the view was of dead pidgeons. The rtoom was next to the elevator. The walls are thin enough to hear next door (ALL NIGHT)....... Bathroom was of low quality, the ceiling had gaping holes in it, the mirror was broken and taped up, the taps were loose and moved around. I think the Travelodge is better value for money. I don't mind low standard accomodation but I don't want to pay top dollar for it....

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to see that we had failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. Your comments regarding your room have been noted and shared with the relevant management and l apologise for any disapointment.

I would welcome the chance to discuss your stay with us if you could provide me with a contact number damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I attended a new menu launch & I just felt I had to say a massive thank you and well done! Some superb new dishes using locally sourced produce and great cocktails to compliment dishes. The Brighton rocks was my personal favourite! All staff were friendly and efficient, but a special mention for nick and Jess who made us feel most welcome and Vivienne, thank you for noticing my friends love for wedges and giving her plenty!

• Stayed: May 2014
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the evening and our new menu offering.

We look forward to welcoming you bar to the Waterhouse bar very soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I went to a 3 day conference with work at this hotel and paid the very high room rate. It was a conference, after all, what do you expect? Still, it was STEEP.

Check in was easy and friendly but then, I was late so there was no queue. I heard from others that check in got a bit difficult, but for me, it was smooth as a nail.

The room had the most exquisite view; you could almost forgive all the tattiness around the edges because when you looked out the window, it's as if the sea reaches your room. The hotel is right there in the centre of things, 10 second cross of the main sea front road to the beach, 10 minute walk to the pier, with bars, shell shops, surf schools, basketball courts and pebble displays right there. It's like someone took the southbank and moved it to the coast.

The sky is bigger in Brighton than elsewhere, as you know.

The thing with the hotel is, it's so big, no one person could ever know it. There's stains, there's lingering odours, there's corridors with no sign that go nowhere, there are vast empty ball rooms, stairs with no end, it's like the sky outside, brought in. You could clean it constantly and never reach the end. I liked that about it, care was taken, not enough for sure, but one gets the feeling that you could devote a lifetime to cleaning this place and never manage it. I would suggest that management maybe hire a couple more people to just keep it looking nice, a lick of paint here, a new carpet there, that kind of thing. At least create the impression you're trying to keep it looking worth £215 a night.

My room was small, my bed even smaller (which I appreciate is necessarily the case) with a good bathroom. I didn't use the pool. Somehow it seemed churlish under that sky. Breakfast was excellent, though I got farmed off into a sort of subsidiary holding breakfast pattern which felt a bit weird. Was I not attired appropriately to join others? Must I face segregation? Was it my last TripAdvisor review? Still I moved and no-one even so much as frowned (ha! I wish they had! Imagine the scene!) and the food was very good so I will let them off.

Since in the end I only stayed one night (I messed them about with booking and cancelling and stuff and they handled that fantastically) I don't have much more to say.

It's a pretty good Hilton in one of the most sublime places there is.

Room Tip: you may as well have a front facing room, it might be a tad louder but you get the view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Howard L, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read not only did you enjoyed your stay with us but also Brighton on a whole, and it is very deceiving how large the hotel is once you have added all of the conference areas.

Due to the age of the building our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes.

Thank you for your very genuine comments and feedback which are gratefully received.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

A group of 8 of us stayed in this hotel during the May Bank holiday for one night. We booked two family rooms and one double room.
The hotel is right on the sea front and the double room had a sea view which was lovely. It’s a great picturesque location. Also close to many fish and chip restaurants along the sea front which was perfect for our hen party lunch!

The hotel is very well presented and we felt rather out of place as a (sensible) hen party of 8 girls. However, the staff were very professional and checked us in (early too as the rooms were ready), still asking us if we required car parking and a newspaper for the following morning. We managed to get two rooms next to each other whilst the double room was one floor below. I stayed in a family room with two other girls. They provided us 3 keys for the family rooms too which was great as we could all have one each. There was one huge double bed (which looked like two pushed together) and one large single bed. The room was spacious and had a desk, chair and armchair. There were also tea/coffee making facilities and toiletries although we only used the soap and shower gel.
There was a wardrobe in the room which was handy for us to hang up our dresses for the evening and coats.

We asked the reception to order taxis enough for 8 people to take us to dinner. They gave us a laminated card which confirmed our booking. However, our taxi never turned up and 10 minutes after it was meant to arrive, we ended up just hailing down some taxis that passed by. Not sure what their taxi procedures are but this didn’t seem to be the most efficient! It wasn’t the hotel’s fault though, they did call to chase up the taxis but we ended up doing okay on our own.

Sleep quality was very good, beds were comfy but our aircon didn’t work so the room became very stuffy overnight. We didn’t bother complaining as we only stayed one night and let some air in by opening the windows and propping the door open with the chair! The other rooms in our party had working aircon though.

Check out was smooth and quick, no complaints. I would definitely stay here again. The family rooms were great value for our group sharing and location is great if you like to be by the sea and approx. 15 min walk from the shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted you all enjoyed your Hen weekend in Brighton; the hotel is in a very good location and makes it a great base to all the local bars, clubs and restaurants within the city centre.

I do hope you will be returning soon.