“In Need of a Facelift” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Fort Myers, Florida
“In Need of a Facelift”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This Hotel in the seaside village of Brighton should have been charming. but instead was a lovely lady in need of a fresh coat of paint. The paint was peeling in the Dining room, there were paint smears on the curtains in my room. The bath fixtures were in need of an upgrade. The staff, however, was very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet was adequate, and the food was hot and tasty. Location was convenient for walking into town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I have passed your comments onto our facilities team to address in our dinning room and l can confirm we are under going a bedroom refurbishment programme in 2015.

I am glad you found the staff warm and welcoming and enjoyed our F&B offering.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back.

Kind Regards

Damian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location for site seers but it's very small and old. the rooms could stand some serious renovation work. The elevators are very small. The views out the front side of the hotel are beautiful, not so much from the back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 15 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

As you say the hotel does have a very good location and makes a great base to explore the local area.

Due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes, as well as our conference areas. I can also confirm the hotel will be continuing its bed room refurbishing programme through to 2015.

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My hubby was away for the night & being a big wuss I didn't fancy staying on my own. I've stayed at quite a few hotels in Brighton but never the Metropole & decided to treat myself.
So, booking. I called the reservations line which in itself was a trial, I had to give my details; credit card, post code etc three times as the girl kept getting it wrong...but these things happen, no biggie.
Check in. Simple enough, however after being given my room key it would have been handy for the receptionist to tell me what floor I was on & how to get there without having to ask.
I'm a smoker & had booked a smoking room, tucked away at the back of the hotel & finding it down all the passageways was fun!
Like I said, I'm a smoker. I know it's a filthy habit & we deserve to be treated like the monsters we are, but at £125 per night, I did expect a certain standard of room..it's not really what I got. The room was a decent size, but to call it tired would be an insult to the sleepy. The bathroom was grey & dated & the bath tap ran with water all night. The room was freezing & despite trying the heating it didn't seem to work. I called reception who said they had no idea how it worked & would send me up a heater. The heater arrived promptly but 5 mins after it was plugged in, blew a fuse in the room & I lost electrics. The staff were helpful & apologetic & fixed it within 5 minutes, however it was not what you would call a relaxing evening. The bed was actually comfortable but the noise the old bed frame made every time you moved was a bit much. I got used to the noise & actually managed a half decent nights sleep. I slept till 6am...I had planned to sleep longer but the shower in the room next to me made this impossible, it sounded like a plane taking off.
All in all, it seems like the Metropole is all fur coat & no knickers. Beautiful commons areas & from some of the other reviews some of the rooms are ok, but other rooms are just not worth the money. The last hotel I stayed in was Hotel Du Vin £50 a night more expensive than The Metropole but worth every penny if you can afford it. If you can't, book yourself into the Premier Inn, you will get a much better room for your money.
Oh..by the way £15 for 24 hours of WiFi...are you kidding me?

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 14 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of the disappointment and inconvenience that you encountered during your stay.

Please could you provide your confirmation number and the name the room was booked under to my Director of Operations Damian Meadows, so our Chief Engineer and his team can inspect the room.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

I would also like to offer my apologies for the Internet not being complimentary, unfortunately the agreement is a national one for Hilton Hotels set by Head Office, and not at hotel level. However we do offer complimentary WIFI in our Waterhouse bar & terrace and lobby area for our guests, we also have an Internet station with PC’s which is complimentary for our guests to use.

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on our UK holiday. My husband & I had a deluxe room with views of the sea, while our three teenage daughters shared a family room. Hotel is in a handy position, right on the seafront with fabulous views. Room was quiet & comfortable. The bed was too firm for our liking, though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 13 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

The hotel as you say is right on the sea front and makes it a great base to explore all that Brighton has to offer.

Mattress support is a very individual requirement: we completed a mattress/bed renewal programme and for the most part we receive very positive feedback in this respect. However I was then very sorry to read of your discomfort.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us.

Banstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I went in with great expectation, the entrance didn't meet those as after parking the car we had to enter through the back way. After a short walk off twist and turns we finally reached the reception. A swift check in and we made our way to our room. Well the escalator only holds max 6 persons and that too average size. A little disappointing . The room also didn't meet my expectation. Bathroom a little tight. The amazing staircase was a delight to walk down and the buffet breakfast was appetising. All in all for a beach front hotel with a big name brand was a tad disappointing .

Room Tip: Request a room in advance.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment and that your stay with us did not meet your expectation.

Your comments have been shared with my Management team to review, I do hope you will accept my apologies for any disappointment caused.

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel wasn't worth £164 a night. The bathroom was worn out and last century with stains and scratches in the sink, a shower coated in grimy limescale and a thick black hair in the plughole. Cheap tea and coffee was supplied in the room, but there were no biscuits. Checking in was chaotic. There was a member of staff just hovering who could have made people feel welcome. The evening meal was awlful. I ordered a vegetable jalfrezi, which came without the onion bhaji listed and a dish of Branston pickle instead of lime pickle! This was resolved when I pointed it out to a waitress, but the curry was in a small dish and had a cinnamon stick left in it. Although, the predominanlt Spanish staff were smart, professional and courteous I felt they were let down by the poor quality rooms and dining. The breakfast was adequate, but it would have been nice of someone to remove the empty lager can from the stairwell left over from the multiple stag and hen parties staying. I feel I didn't get value for money and should have paid at least half. I won't stay in a Hilton again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays with him, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Mix up with reservations only had me booked in for 1 night when should have been 3, upgraded room without asking and did not show up on the bill until the last day. Poor quality room supposed to be a suite but tatty furniture, broken shower, stained/damaged floor. Very dated yet it I was advised it had been newly renovated! I have stayed at the Grand for the past two years and thought I would give this a try. NEVER again!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you had during your stay. My Reception Manager Rocio, will be in touch with you directly due to the SALT survey you have also filled out.