“Excellent hotel for a business conference”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel for a business conference”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Used this hotel for the fourth year running as the base for the IRMS Conference - and will be back in 2016. 400 attendees plus 35 companies exhibiting. From my position as one of the conference organisers all went smoothly. I do understand that the air conditioning still dies not work properly in some of the rear bedrooms. Otherwise - all good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

It is always a pleasure to recieve feedback and l have passed on your comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2016 and hopefully sooner.

Kind Regards

Damian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Well I was there for a conference and I did get a fourth floor corner room with seaview but the bedroom was hot and the air con would not cool it down and windows did not open. The shower room was small I am only 5'4" and slight but I had to squeeze round the door to get into the shower. The conference gala dinner food and wine was poor but again conference deals are never fantastic. The staff especially Patricia in the bar were pleasant and helpful but not my favourite hilton. For those with exec access there is no exec lounge or facilities.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor sea view with balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 22 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of the issues you experienced and please accept my apologies, however it is always a pleasure to read when one of our team members have provided our guests with a wonderful experience.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Ok, let me be clear - the staff at the Brighton Hilton Metropole do their best in difficult conditions. It's tough, working in a place which has zero respect for its users and an obviously disinterested and incompetent management. If I'm honest, there are so many things wrong with this place that I'm not sure where to start, but, ok, let's start with the changing facilities. I'm a bloke so cannot speak for the ladies changing rooms and showers, but I can confirm that the men's are a disgrace, and have been for many months, despite repeated complaints from me and other other users. They are filthy, smelly, dirty toilet cubicles, build ups of hair and other detritus in the shower cubicles, dirty towels discarded on the wet and dirty tiled floors, lockers which do not lock - they are constantly broken - liquid soap dispensers invariably broken, irregular heat flow in the shower jets....the list is endless, but mainly it is the constantly dirty and clearly seriously unhygienic conditions which beggar belief. The gym itself has some ageing machines which do the job, assuming you can bear the hideous faux funk/hip hop musak which blares out of distorted speakers. The whirlpool is a serious health risk in my view, as it is constantly full of people who sit there ignoring the fact that you are not supposed to be in it during the ten minute intervals when the jets are not activated. The steam room and sauna work, but again appear not to be cleaned on any regular basis. i made the grave error of joining this farcically bad gym and so called 'spa' for six months, and have regretted it. In 2014 there is no excuse for a dirty changing room environment. The management of this establishment should be ashamed. i am recommending that the local health and safety authorities carry out an inspection of these dismal premises asap. If you are thinking of coming down for the weekend, don't get your hopes up about the gym/spa. It is terrible, and I do not expect this to change any time soon. If, like me, you joined as a local member, I share your pain. Avoid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mrsnuffles

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am very sorry to read of your disappointment. I can confirm that our LivingWell club has started a mini refit in the following areas, male & female changing rooms to include showers, lockers, tiles and, dispenser.

Having discussed your comments with my LivingWell Manager she can confirm that the Spa pool is emptied several times a day and that pool and whirlpool are tested every three hours to ensure that they stay within the strict guidelines.

I apologies for he standard of cleanliness, this has been shared with my Rooms Divisions Manager to review the rotating for both the pool and gym areas.

My LivingWell Manager Marquita would be more than happy to discuss your disappointment you have with both the gym and spa in more detail. Please you could send her your contact details and she would be more than happy to call you to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please email your details to Marquita.smith@hilton.com

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Surrey
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have phoned to the day before and was advised that booking would be a good idea unfortunately I think this contributed to the problems. The food had obviously been left standing for some time as the sandwiches were beginning to harden and the cakes were all soggy - assuming the base of the cheesecake was made of biscuit this was more like dough. Worst of all were the scones which were small and almost impossible to get as they were so hard. We had to ask for jam which we had expected to be included. One of the menus we looked at had tea or coffee stains on. Not really good enough. We are trying The Grand soon as hope for better!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your disappointing afternoon tea experience.
We have only just re- launched our Waterhouse afternoon teas and also introduced our brand new afternoon tea named Seaside Delights.

I have spoken to Nick Heasman our Bars Manager, who would also like to offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss this with you in more detail. If you could please send Nick your contact details as he would be more than happy to call you to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please email your details to Nicholas.heasman@hilton.com

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked a 5 night break in a sea facing room. The hotel is very agreeable and still retains an on world charm with spacious rooms, high ceilings and plenty of space. Reception very helpful, room very adequate and the breakfast was splendid. Wi- Fi in the room was barely acceptable but in the Internet cafe, excellent. Evening meal was expensive so ate out each evening. Would go again if the windows could be cleaned once in a while!

Room Tip: Afford a sea facing room on fifth floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and that you found all of our reception team to be helpful.

I have shared your comments with my Executive Head Chef and my Rooms Divisions Manager to review.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I bought 2 luxury Spa Day vouchers total £240 for a day at the Beauty Rooms, Brighton Metropole for my daughter's 30th Birthday treat. I was shocked at the lack of hygiene, the shabby robes we were given to wear (my daughter's robe was ripped under the arm. The robes were disgusting, the surroundings were worse! The 'Relaxation' area bore no resemblance to the photos on their Facebook page! There was dirt and squalor everywhere - when I complained the therapist told me I was wrong - that the place was spotlessly clean - I insisted she came into the area at which point she had to admit it was a dirty mess!

There was no music, no atmosphere, nothing worth reading, the tea and coffee making facilities were a joke - we were told to make our HOT drinks in plastic squash cups.

The female toilets were out of order and we were directed to the Men's toilets! The Jacuzzi was also out of order.

As you will see from the photos I'm posting it was a dark, dank, dirty hole of a place! When we got home I sent an email to Manager of the Beauty Rooms who responded by offering 50% refund and a complimentary Spa day for my daughter and I - it took me a long time to decide what to do as the situation was that bad! After discussing it with my daughter at length we both
decided to give them the opportunity to put things right so I emailed accepting their offer - I was astounded to receive a response telling me how delighted they were that we were accepting their offer and they detailed the day - all the complimentary 'luxury' Spa day consisted of for my daughter and myself was the use of their facilities - we could sit around all day in the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna - no thank you! I declined their offer and was begrudgingly told we could have a half body massage each - again... no thank you!

My advice is - think twice about booking this horrendous day - a visit to the local hospital ward would have more luxury, more pampering and more atmosphere - a visit to the local public convenience would be more hygienic!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharsar
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

Please allow me to apologise for your experience at the spa, this area is currently under going a refurbishment. I am pleased to see the Spa manager offered you a discount after your first visit and apologies that there was some mis communication on the hotels part about your return visit.
I would welcome the chance to discuss this with you further in the hope l can restore your faith with us here and would ask you contact me on damian.meadows@hilton.com if you would like to do this.

Kind Regards

Damian
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is quite an old property that has not been well maintained. In our room the safe was broke, some fixtures were missing, paint and carpet worn, etc. I guess we slept in too late one day as we never received room service that day either. Definitely needs an update to wiring as everyone now travels with computers, phones, and tablets that need charging and sockets.

Room service food was good and actually reasonably priced, and quickly delivered.

Upon checking out we discovered several erroneous charges on the bill for things such as food in the restaurant that we never used.

The extra for internet access is ridiculously overpriced robbery.

Over all the general sense here was of a hotel that has seen much better days and which the employees at the front desk were nice enough, but just calling it in.

Again, clean and quiet enough, but well below the standard of Hilton and the worse Hilton I've ever stayed in. Needs a complete overhaul.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 20 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment, however the hotel in the summer is about to start another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to next year.

In regards to the Internet not being complimentary, unfortunately the agreement is a national one for Hilton Hotels set by Head Office and not at hotel level, however we do offer complimentary WIFI code to our guest to use in our Waterhouse bar & terrace and lobby area, we also have a Internet station with PC’s which is complimentary for our guests to use.