“Unkept Hotel”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I booked months in advance, hoping that because it was a Hilton Hotel, it would be a pleasant experience given it is a Chain Hotel versus an unknown Hotel.
The outside looks impressive, but once inside, it is very old and not updated.
We booked a suite, hoping to experience comfort, but it was the oposite. The room was very dirty, the doors were stained with either coke or something in that order, and since being white doors, the stains were very noticeable, add to that the fact that they had not been cleaned in a long time, ALL doors. Our 2 bedroom suite consisted of another room with hardly any comforts, the windows to the "sea view" were dirty and the bottom of the windows had holes in them that lead to the exterior. It gave us a terrible feeling. We had booked for 4 nights but we left the next day. In general the hotel is not appealing at all. If someone would take the interest in painting it and cleaning out or changing the carpet, it might look better, but I can't understand why there is nobody around to check that each room is properly cleaned. We requested air conditioning, it had air. Not cold air. We were there May 2014 so it was already warm outside and the room needed cooling. The staff is very nice and friendly, but it doesn't look like they know the conditions of the rooms. Would never stay there again.

Room Tip: I would suggest NOT staying at this hotel at all.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ada d
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on your visit, your comments on the standard and cleanliness of the suite have been shared with both my Director of Operations and our Rooms Divisions Manager to address with his team.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment you had during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The location is perfect within walking distance to the lanes, restaurants and shopping.
Near the Pier overlooking the sea.
I stayed here with 12 friends we paid £215 per room, we were under the impression we had sea views, but we we're put at the back of the hotel overlooking the workings of the hotel, with a generator noise when the windows were open.
The bathroom was old and tired with a wall hair drier that was so weak it would have taken me hours to dry my hair. There was a small Freestanding wardrobe and a noisy air con unit which disturbed us all night.
The following day we spoke to the front desk and were given a new room on the same floor (5)
But a room that looked like it had been updated. If we had been given this in the beginning we would have been very happy. On a positive note the staff were very helpful, the breakfasts were varied with a chef cooking eggs to order.
We had a massage which was lovely.Great staff in the spa...Small pool area and spa not very big but was OK, have been to better..
I wouldn't visit again unless they were doing an offer, I have a Hilton honours card, but I'm not getting many points as I have been quite disappointed with most Hiltons I have stayed in.
For a weekend stay of £430 B&B I thought it was expensive and would t
Stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front, not much to see at the back and very noisy...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

As you say the hotel does have a good location and all the local sights and amenities are in walking distance from the hotel.

I was sorry to read that your room did not meet your expectations and would like to offer my apologies, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

Our bedroom refurbishment programme will be continued in to 2015, which will see some of our older rooms being added.

However I am delighted you found the team at the Hilton Brighton Metropole to be friendly & helpful during your stay.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Excellent concierge service. Extremely helpful and committed to costumers. The meeting rooms were nice in spite of no natural light. Good and nice bar. Very deficient overall hotel maintenance, hallways, doors etc. Rooms in a very deficient/bad status and maintenaince. No lamps at bedside lighting. Refrigerator not working. No minibar available. Rooms in a very deficient/bad status and maintenaince. Dirty drapes/curtains, carpets etc. Very well clean bathrooms and toilets. Good beds. It could be an interesting hotel if proper and good taste maintenance was done.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Maria Jose G

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

It is always a pleasure to read when our team members provide a wonderful experience and service during a guests stay.

I would like to thank you for the constructive criticism which I really do appreciate regarding your recent stay. Your feedback has been shared with my Chief Engineer and his team.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very nice stay in this very beautiful old world hotel. Offered an upgrade to a suite on arrival which sounded amazing but sadly the room was rather in need of a makeover. The bed was unstable and rocked when one of us moved and the air conditioning was not working properly, making it very difficult to experience a good nights sleep. On the plus side the hotel was clean, the staff pleasant and helpful and the food lovely making it worth another try

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read that the staff interaction was good and in general you enjoyed your stay with us here in Brighton. Your comments with regards to the bedroom and A/C have been passed onto our facilities team to address.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon to the hotel.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very nice location opposite the seaside and hotel reminded me of old world charm. Our time there was very enjoyable with nice comfy room, service were very good along with the food. A short stroll to the centre of Brighton with nice places for coffee or just browsingg

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front of hotel, best view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Brighton.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel Friday - Tuesday of the May Bank Holiday weekend. Firstly the positives: The breakfasts were excellent - good service, abundant choice, fresh good quality food and effort was given to the buffet remain 'neat' and inviting. The pool is lovely. We used it a lot. The womens changing rooms are being refurbished and at times we had to use an alternative which was very unpleasant but at least it allowed us to use the pool and again, could not fault either the pool which was clear and clean, and the staff who were helpful and friendly. The bar area was a little lacking in 'cosy' but it was comfortable and the staff also helpful and friendly.

Now for the things that need attention:
The room was expensive (relatively) and although clean and comfortable it was just average. It was an inner room so dark, but the key problem was the air conditioning. I am not sure why but the whole time we were there the room was very very hot and the air con did not work at all. It was hard to sleep in.

The room was never 'made up' until after 5:00pm and I say 'made up' because it was not actually cleaned. The bed was made - that was it.

Dirty pots, bottles, pizza containers, room service flotsom was left in the corridors all day every day for many many hours. The cleaning trollys were also left in the corridors for virtually our whole stay - it just looked a bit grotty and not to the standard one would expect of a hotel at the higher end of the market.

We were unable to get food at the hotel bar after 10:00pm. We were told we could order room service but actually there was a very limited choice for veggies on the room service menu (curry or a sandwich). Additionally, on another day we ordered the 'seaside cream tea' (the more expensive of the two cream teas on offer). We asked for the meat options to be changed for veggie. This appeared to absolutely bamboozle the staff who could not work out how to replace beef, seafood and lamb with veggie options. In the end we got grated cheese and egg. Even the cakes were not as advertised. Vegetarian options are not 'exotic' and this is Brighton! How hard could it have been? Poor show on the food front.

We went to the Metropole rather than the Grand for the pool (the Grand has taken its pool out of commission for some reason). The pool would take us back there but in our opinion (being frequent hotel users) this is a 3 star hotel at best. Its OK but not great, no sense of 'luxury' about it and it felt a little faded, jaded and lacking in management.

Room Tip: Standard rooms which face inward are dark and the air conditioning is not great. Seaview rooms, alt...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lelmel
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to note the positive aspects to your recent stay with us and have passed these onto the team. With regards to the negative aspects to your stay l would welcome the chance to discuss this with you and would ask if you would provide me with a contact telephone number at damian.meadows@hilton.com so that l can restore your faith in us here at the hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was and I still am deeply disappointed by the conditions and services offered by Hilton Brighton Metropole! The hotel deserves not more than 2 stars!!!

I think that the management of this hotel doesn't know what are the conditions and the services that a 4* Hilton Hotel should offer to its customers!!!

What to expect when you will reach this location:
1.dirty rooms with old furniture and old and destroyed carpet, some of the rooms with or without AC! If you are lucky you can get one! Probably they didn’t have enough money to install AC in all rooms!
2.hot water running on both pipes (hot and cold) – to take a shower is really an adventure; you have to be patient for 20 – 30 minutes before taking the shower and if you are lucky, maybe, you will receive some cold water in order to mix it!!!
3.you can also find hot water in the basin for toilet - that was a surprise!
4.the food served for lunch and dinner had no taste and was not well cooked – only at breakfast you can find something decent to eat;
5.the smell inside the hotel was like they have an opened kitchen and they cook fish all day long.

I still wonder how such a hotel can have 4 stars and can use the Hilton name!

I don’t recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to benefit from the conditions offered by a 4 star Hilton hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dinu A

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was very disappointed to read the poor experience you had here with us during your recent visit and would welcome the chance to discuss this with you , if you could provide me with a contact number at damian.meadows@hilton.com so that l might be able to restore your faith in us here at the hotel.