“Another superb stay”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had another great stay at this traditional British seaside hotel. Yes the hotel is old and big with a lot of conferences but all the public areas were very busy, but spotlessly clean. Our room overlooked the sea and had a separate lounge which made for a very relaxing stay. Breakfast was its usual good, quirky self and room service was fantastic. We also had some really nice drinks in the Waterhouse bar and terrace, where the service is much improved since our last visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

And I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your return stay with us.

Howard

Write a ReviewReviews (4,615)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

As a well-travelled guy I have had the opportunity to stay in hotels and guest houses across the world, from small guesthouses to large 5-star hotels in both cities and far-flung rural locations. I can confidently say that the Brighton Metropole comes very low down in my list of preferences. Many of my reviews are here on Tripadvisor and you will see that my ratings are usually on the high side. I am not one who complains without good cause

I attended there for a two-day conference and decided that for the sake of convenience I would stay onsite rather than finding accommodation elsewhere. I ordered a King size double room with breakfast included which came to £154 per night. I considered this to be somewhat on the expensive side, yet the convenience of being on site was important.

Let’s start with the positives. The Metropole is a good looking Victorian/Edwardian hotel which appears well cared for from the exterior. It has parking on site (£18 per day). I found the staff to be pleasant and welcoming, especially Maureen in the Breakfast room. Breakfast was varied and plentiful, so no complaints there. My bed was extremely comfy and I had a good night’s sleep on both nights. It is well positioned for local sights.

On the downside, the care which has been lavished on the exterior does not follow through to the interior of the hotel. Some of the public areas looked tired and dated, the lifts were small, painfully slow and one was out of order. The bedroom corridor on the fifth floor was especially in need of refurbishment with a false ceiling which was cracked, had holes in it and areas of damp staining.

My room was a major disappointment. It did indeed have a King-sized bed, but the room size would have been more suited to a single or a small double. The photographs on the Hotel website bear no resemblance to the room with which I was provided. The carpet was dirty, the paintwork on the walls was dirty and scuffed, and the furniture appeared old and worn. A large damp stain surrounded the sprinkler on the ceiling, and the air conditioning vents in the hallway, bedroom and bathroom appeared to have been sellotaped to the ceiling and were dirty and rusting.

The bathroom had several broken tiles which had been filled in with grout, evidence of black mould around the bath sealant, no soap (though a small bottle of bodywash and shampoo were provided), and no face cloths. Again the condition suggested that refurbishment was long overdue.

Arriving late I ordered from room service. My wine and main course took an age to arrive and were unattractively presented. Bringing the bottle and pouring a glass would have been preferable to a glass of wine covered in cling film. It was only when the maid had left that I realised there was no cutlery or serviette. Given the time taken for the meal to arrive, I decided to eat it without (burger and chips making this feasible). I noted that the used tray remained in the corridor outside the room for most of the next day before being collected.

Hilton used to be a brand on which one could rely. Its multimillion international empire makes it difficult to excuse the failings noted at this hotel. I shall not be returning.

2  Thank docvwLondon

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with most of your stay, due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes.

I have shared your review with my Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stay, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in May to extend our bank holiday weekend and we were quite underwhelmed with our stay. Our room wasn't ready at 3pm and we had to wait to check in. We had a King Room which was very spacious and the bathroom was lovely (though the shower pressure could have been better) but the decor could do with updating.

The main problem we had, aside from the wait to check in was when it came to breakfast. We requested breakfast in bed which is £6 additional, assuming we would pay for it upon check out. However when breakfast arrived at 0930 the staff insisted we pay this in cash straight away, when neither of us had any cash on us, they didn't accept cards and one of us wasn't dressed. This led to a very uncomfortable experience where the staff kept our door open for over 5 minutes, I was unable to leave the bed and it all felt like something from Faulty Towers. Of course during this time breakfast went cold and we were too annoyed to eat it. We felt at the time and still feel this was all highly inappropriate.

On a more positive note, we enjoyed the bar area, the concierge were very helpful and the hotel is ideally situated. I'm not sure I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays with him, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you. damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed last sat night I really don't know what people moan about. I had a refurbished room they are in the process of upgrading the rooms I would ask for one when you book.

The hotel is a lovely Victorian building if you want the latest new hotel don't book here.

Staff friendly, lovely bar and breakfast , only complaint would be rooms to hot.

Thanks for a lovely stay it was much better than expected due to all the negative comments on here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and that you found all of our team members helpful & friendly.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

The check in was poor. The staff overall seem disinterested. The room was very shabby needs refurbishment,sellotape holdling panel beneath sink.Decor is tired and dated. poor value. breakfast ok. room very hot no a/c. conference facilities good .

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was so sorry to read of your disappointment regarding your stay with us, and that the attitude of some members of my team may have marred your stay with us upon check in.

The hotel will be starting another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to 2015, which will see some on our older bedrooms added to the programme.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights

The hotel is bang on the front, 10 minutes walk from the station and only a few minutes from the town center.

Staff very polite and welcoming throughout hotel, bar and restaurant

Food was mainly served as a buffet, which is fine for breakfast. Food was ok, not outstanding but this is a conference hotel.

Rooms were disappointing, very 1960s. I had a larger family room which felt very spartan. i had a view of a roof through some incredibly dirty windows. One night a disco started up at 10pm.

So if you are out most of the time its fine

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment and would like to offer my apologies for the stand of your room, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

However it is always a pleasure to read when our guests find our team to be friendly and helpful during their stay.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

From the exterior this is a lovely seafront hotel... However, despite the nice facade and interior decoration, the overall stay was disappointing, for the standards one would expect from a Hilton.
I stayed for one night with a friend - booked a room with 2 beds and on arrival was told they only had double rooms available. The front desk staff were slightly rude to me and very unhelpful. Eventually a camp bed was arranged to go in the room which barely fitted in the room and was uncomfortable. However, otherwise the room was nice, clean and had a balcony and a lovely sea view.
Service at the lounge/bar area during the day was very poor. I sat there for about half an hour watching other people get table service before anyone asked if I wanted to order anything. The food however when it arrived was good, tasty and fresh.
Evening service at the bar was much better and they had a nice selection of cocktails.
In summary - the stay was average, a nice hotel, well located, but let down by poor staff and not particularly good value for money (expensive for a mid week stay, off season)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PinkPinkPinkSydney
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

As you say the hotel does have a good location and all the local sights and amenities are in walking distance from the hotel.

I was sorry to read that your room did not meet your expectations and would like to offer my apologies, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

I am sorry that the service you received from our Reception team was not up to our usual high standard - your comments have been shared with my Front Office Manager. I have also discussed your feedback with my F&B management and please be assured that where possible, the necessary action has already been instigated to ensure such lapses do not recur.

Thank you again for your comments.