“Faded but good staff and great location”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is one of those classic hotels in a great spot but the rooms feel very dated and not in the best condition. I felt like I was in 1985! That said the staff were very friendly and the service was good

There seemed to be lots of wedding parties when we were there. Expect a busy hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted you found our team to be friendly during your stay with us. I can confirm that the hotel will be continuing another phase of bedroom renovations in the summer which will be carried through to next year.

Howard

Write a ReviewReviews (4,565)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

went here for a conference. Nice location on seafront, close to station. Reception ok, but rest terrible. Room dirty, with old electrics replaced with new, but old just plated off, and new sticky. Plumbing Victorian. No view frow window. My deluxe room seemed to be an ex corridor, bearing no resemblance to the details on website. Bed ok. Breakfast also ok, but £17.50 a lot. And as ever, these chains think it ok to charge for wifi!

I stayed because I had to. Please don't go here if you want a good hotel in Brighton.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment, however the hotel in the summer is about to start another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to next year.

In regards to the Internet not being complimentary, unfortunately the agreement is a national one for Hilton Hotels set by Head Office and not at hotel level, however we do offer complimentary WIFI code to our guest to use in our Waterhouse bar & terrace and lobby area, we also have a Internet station with PC’s which is complimentary for our guests to use.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I splashed out on a night away. The bed was the worst either of us has ever tried to sleep on. The pillows didn't help either, as they gave no support at all. The shower head only showered the wall, so had to be hand-held when using. Also the sink around the plug area was filthy. Neither of us will be going there again, and would not recommend it to anyone who values their sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays with him, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Previous to our arrival i contacted the Hilton to double check it was ok to bring our small dog, which it was for a small reasonable fee(£30)
as i wanted all to run smoothly as this was a surprise anniversary break for my partner and i, oh yeah and the dog!!
On arrival the reception staff were excellent and checked us in very quickly.
When we got to our room we were greeted by a sea view a bottle of chilled champagne, chocolates and a card from all the Hilton staff.
This set the president for our short stay here, staff were helpful and cheerful, the room was comfortable which made for a very relaxing time.
We will definatley be using the Hilton again and highly recomend it.

Room Tip: Email in advance, as some rooms have not yet been upgraded.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

It is always a pleasure to read our team have provided you a wonderful experience and service, when celebrating your anniversary.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

small room with no view. also very hot and a/c controls did not appear to work. nice breakfast. bar stayed open for us until 3am!! have stayed before a couple of times and had much better rooms. did not matter that much but expected better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read of your disappointment and would like to offer my apologies for the stand of your room, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

However I was pleased to read that you took the time to enjoy our Hilton Breakfast.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Visiting for the night for first trip in Brighton. Our group rented 4 rooms to fit all the kids and adults comfortably. Little did we know that comfort was not on the list of amenity's. We thought having rooms on the 5th floor would be nice, but after reviewing our 4 rooms, realized they were all 25 degrees. The outside temp was 23. You could open the windows only 2 inches. Called the front desk and they said we could be supplied with a fan and water. The hotel is aware of the heat issues, but seem not to horribly concerned. They will give you a free fan for the night, water and if you complain they will pay for your parking. So, if you're looking for a room for the night that opening your hotel room door is the only option to feel cool air, this is the one for you.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor, so avoid if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Iggypug

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read that we had failed to meet any of your expectations during your recent stay. Your comments have been noted and shared with the relevant management for their review.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on business as I was running a conference and exhibition at the adjacent Brighton Centre. On arrival there were no doormen to assist us with our luggage which meant we had to lug our cases up the hotel stairs into the lobby - not the best of starts!!! Check in was poor, only one lady was dealing with check in which was totally monopolized by a large party of demanding elderly Canadian tourists - the staff member really should have called more check in staff to assist her rather than leaving us to wait and wait! Once we were seen, however, check in was smoothly and efficiently done and we were allowed to check in early before 3pm which was very much appreciated. The entrance lobby and public areas of the hotel are very impressive and luxurious in appearance and welcoming to guests on arrival.
My room, which was located on the 6th floor, whilst clean and comfortable, was very small and very very hot - as detailed below.. A combination of no AC and windows that don't open do not make for a comfortable stay or for a good night's sleep!! Luckily my room came equipped with an electric fan which saved my life! My bathroom also, whilst very small, was clean and perfectly functional but the lack of any kind of extraction fan was annoying and also did not help with the heat levels in the room! The room was quiet although I did hear a dog whining in the room next door quite a lot but , in general, I slept well. I don't know why but whenever I travel on business, I always get assigned inferior rooms in comparison to those of my colleagues???? Maybe my TripAdvisor status precedes me! Lol ;)
Anyway, moving on .... Breakfast was fantastic!!! The staff waiting on the tables were very friendly, efficient and organized whilst the choice of foods and drinks on offer was brilliant! Everything from a full English to a Continental breakfast and everything in between and as much as we wanted - an excellent start to the day!!
I am aware there were spa facilities, a beauty parlor and a swimming pool at the hotel but, given the hours I had to work, I did not use them so cannot comment upon these. We did have drinks in the bar a couple of times during my stay - as expected the prices were extortionate! £9.60 for a large glass of Pinot Grigio, £ 7.50 for a G & T so I would recommend drinking elsewhere although the seafront terrace bar in the sun was very pleasant and the service excellent. The concierge staff were also very helpful and efficient so, all in all, I have no complaints about the service or staff at this establishment.
As my room was paid for by my employer, I have no idea how much my room cost so cannot comment as to whether or not the hotel gives value for money but I am guessing a night's stay cannot be cheap. I would stay again but hopefully would be assigned a better room next time - perhaps that elusive sea view and air conditioning??? I can only dream lol!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 646 which is a very small double with no AC and windows which can only be opened a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologise for the delayed service upon your check-in and for the lack of concierge on your arrival, these certainly are not the standards we are striving to achieve.

Due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes, I am sorry to read that your room was not the standard you expected and that it did not have air conditioning, not all of our rooms do.

However I am delighted you found all team members you came into contact with during your stay friendly and helpful.