“Heritage building but not a heritage experience”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was placed here as part of a large conference. The exterior and the location are fine although the road outside between hotel and sea is very busy. The room was of sufficient size and reasonably clean and refurbished. The bathroom was cheap: the tap on the basin wobbled loosely; the cheap shower hose had that fatigue leak at the junction with the head. I asked for a quiet room but studies later showed that one wall was shared with the lift shaft. The public rooms and restaurant were OK. The breakfast was at least abundant. The conference rooms are terrible: huge enclosed spaces with no natural light. The large conference hall is in grey with a floral carpet. It is like a police training school in the old East Germany. Other rooms are immense but lifeless. You walk miles but never find the right room. The distinguishing feature of the hotel is the staff; grumpy, unhelpful, slow. They do not want to be there in the hotel trade in Brighton and have no idea why you have turned up to annoy them. Hotel work is just one damn request after another. Why does everybody want a key to get in their room? Why do they need to check out? It would be better if people did not make these demands and never entered the hotel at all.

This is a sad contrast with the heritage of this hotel; once one of two glorious hotels in Brighton. Brighton is well worth a visit; a heritage city with many attractions. This hotel is not one of them.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lungipiedi
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read that during your visit we failed to meet your expectations of us here at the hotel. I would welcome the chance to discuss your stay with us if you would kindly provide me with a conatct number to do so at damian.meadows@hilton.com.

Damian

Write a ReviewReviews (4,615)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I must say when I read the reviews I was very nervous about my stay at the Metropole. I am glad I continued to go ahead with my stay as I could not have asked for a better hotel or staff.

I was spending the weekend with a friend. He arrived early and the receptionist allowed him to check in even though the booking was in my name. She did confirm he was my friend etc beforehand. The receptionist also provided us with a free drinks voucher which we obviously made use of.

I must admit I was impressed by the bar staff who were able to take my order promptly, understood the drink I wanted 'brandy' even so far as going to heat my brandy glass up before hand. My friend and I were impressed when walking past a member of staff we had been discussing our drinks order the waiteress was at our heals stating she will take our order. She also checked if we had breakfast included in our booking. For what ever reason it had not been but they did give us both complimentary breakfasts for the weekend.

At breakfast we had 5 star treatment orange juice/tea/coffee as soon as we sat down. polite and attentive service.

When it came to checking out there was a little confusion about the queuing system but a member of staff arrived promptly to check us out.

I have to say it was sad to leave but I will have no hesitation in going back to the Metropole to stay.

Room Tip: Family rooms are great for friends, contains a double and a single bed. Bring your own hairdryer as...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank akhtarp

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the team here to be very helpfull.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

First episode.....day one
Checked in today room 547. I am blue HH member, after having spent years as diamond I decided to patronise different hotel chains having had several disappointments in Asia Pacific. Anyway we checked in a family room, "gosh" the room is of the standard size of any 3 stars hotels with one side of the master bed literally attached to the wall and window with no bed side table. Quality of mattress and pillows remember something that even my good grandmother would have refused, if she would be still alive. Forget the pillow menu, others hotels maybe, not this one.!
The bathroom recall those of hundreds years ago, definitely never refurbished, with no space to put any toiletries near the sink. Actually I had literally to use the glass coffee table and position it with our toiletries outside the bathroom. The toilet paper, when we checked in the room was not newly replenished but half way used.
The mini bar is there under the TV set but empty.
The phone keep having the red light on. I Asked the receptionist to off it but they cannot do it. They kindly said I need to follow the instruction of the recorded message dialling a certain number. I have tried unsuccessfully to explain that the recorded message keep gently informing me I have no messages. We will have to sleep with this "red traffic light"under my eyes.
After a nice sunny day walking around the beautiful beaches of Brighton, we decided to have a lavish dinner in the restaurant hoping to be of the Hilton Standard. Unfortunately the receptionist showed us the lounge lobby bar as the only venue for a restaurant. Forget the lavish dinner then and let's downgrade our desire to "lounge-bar menu"! Friendly service, I would like to point out, but with an extreme limited choice
Tomorrow will be day 2 before we move to London to another Hilton, hopefully one that deserves such a name on the label.
Still. I would like to commend the positive attitude of the employees at the check in counter, quick , friendly and attentive, same as the bar attendant and waiters at the lounge bar. I believe they are trying their best to fill the gaps with all the rest that surely do not deserve to bear one of the most prestigious names in the hospitality Industry. Tomorrow I may continue with the review of day 2. Hopefully I will experience some improvements but I sincerely doubt so.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FabR57
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review,

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay. However I am pleased to learn you have taken the time to speak with our Guest Relations Manager Daniel this morning regarding your stay and your disappointment.

Please contact Daniel directly if you have any further requests or concerns.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Check in experience was very poor, long queues and problems with card machines all coupled with very unhelpful staff who generally grunted responses rather than engaging and apologising for delays, etc. Room was OK, shame the "sea view" we paid for was obscured by thick net curtains which couldn't be tied back. Overall, value for money was poor - some nice amenities (pool, bar, etc.) and good location but let down by poor service and average rooms with a very high price tag.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review,

Please accept my apologies for the disappointing stay. I have passed your comments and your SALT survey on to my Reception Manager to contact you directly, regarding your comments.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We visited this hotel for 3days. They gave us an executive suite which was really nice and spacious. The sea view rooms are really peaceful. It's not as run down as people are making out. It's very clean. Staff are very helpful. The breakfast was really nice. I have a wheat free breakfast so they made extra food especially for me. We really appreciated that.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Zahrah L

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to add your review

I was pleased to read you enjoyd your stay and our breakfast offering.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Firstly on a positive note the hotel was clean and in a fantastic location.
Unfortunately I can't really find many more good things to say. When we checked in at 3pm there was a problem with the machine coding the room key so had to wait a good half hour in reception. The girl on the check in desk was very grumpy and didn't even crack a smile! When we got to our room which was a standard double (6th floor) it was VERY small and really HOT. It had been a very hot day the window in the room opened only a few inches (which I can understand for safety ) but the bathroom window wouldn't stay open, so in the end we had to wedge it open with a can of coke! No air con only a fan which didn't really do much. You could only just pull the chair out at the desk and sit down as the bed so close. No mirror in the room only in the bathroom so it was difficult when drying hair and only one really useable plug socket. All in all a very claustrophobic stay. We were planning on booking an extra night when we got there but really would not of been able to spend another night there especially at £175 a room. Very overpriced..... Just like the bar £9.70 for a brandy and coke. Sorry hilton group we have stayed in a few of your hotels but very disappointed you have lost a customer in me!

• Stayed: July 2014
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

As you say the hotel’s location make it a great base to explore and visit all that Brighton has to offer.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with most aspects of your stay with us, the hotel towards the end of the summer is about to start another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to the following year, this will see some of our older room refreshed and updated.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

On sea front with elegant style and grand entrance. Great position to explore old town,lanes and sea front.Breakfast room with sea views.Fantastic high ceilings ,sweeping staircase.Efficient lifts.Well organised check in and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank David S

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and look forward to you returning soon.