“Average?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Helsinki, Finland
“Average?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed there 2 nights in May.
I had a large room facing the canal.
The hotel itself is an old building, a bit outdated, but that was something I was already expecting.

The staff was nice, breakfast ok.

For the summer months, the location is nice.
A lot of restaurants around.

No executive lounge at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Damian M, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 16 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the breakfast offering here at the hotel .

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Damian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hilton Brighton Metropole Hotel - Supposed to be the lap of luxury the absolute best of best but this is anything but. This is quite possibly one of the worst hotels I have ever been to and I mean that for a big chain this really is the pits.. We checked in (and are still here) which took rather a long time because they had messed up the twin reservation. That didn't matter we got to our room and the beds were indeed in 2 (Separate singles) so that was fine. We did however have a metal joiner sticking out from the sides of the bed which I hrt myself on several times. What WASN'T fine was the matchbox sized room which was baking hot and had no air conditioning. I had emailed and spoken to the hotel before booking to ensure they had air con they confirmed our room would. It didn't. In fact it didn't have much. Promised mini bar? I am sure you need a fridge for that. The internet a staggering£15 per day OMG what are they thinking? Who in their right mind would pay that I just brought my own. Still moving on... With the room being too small for someone who has accessibility issues and needs air conditioning we were moved to another room this time much bigger. Now even for £150 a night this room would have been a complete rip off. We were told it had air conditioning but later found out it had air cooling, there is a BIG difference. So again no air conditioning - We got one nights free but is that really good enough? We had dirty towels I tried to complain to house keeping but she just gave me milk! The towel had human extremest on it how do you miss something like that out? "ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH£ IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Room 216 had a house keeping service who couldn't even understand basic English. Ridiculous. This is the Hilton! But it doesn't stop there oh no. We had bird poo ACROSS the whole of the outside of our room, on the windows, the doors, the walls everywhere. I will include pictures so you can see for yourself. :) But this is fairly trivial would you believe me if I said that I was standing half clothed (little on) when someone "fell out of the sky" and landed on my balcony to clean my windows! No I'm not kidding at 10am we had 2 very friendly Australian chaps on rope fall from the top of the window onto our balcany to clean things. Um.........They nearly crushed a £950 router which was sat outside the window to give us internet on the way down. They didn't seem too bothered. Still with my window open and me coming out of the bathroom could someone kindly explain why NO ONE TOLD ME 2 guys were gonna be staring into my room and all my wildly possessions with it. The door was left open they could have taken anything. I do not expect this from the Hilton I am likely to take this matter up with management or further I am furious. Non made up room (because we were moved), wobbly taps, pain crumbling from the doors, dirty windows, I could scrape the dust off of the communal areas with my finger I took a picture of this to. Our tap moves around its a flexible tap that CAN'T be normal. The bathroom was big compared to the first one which was matchbox size. We had 4 usable plug placed in odd positions but this was acceptable for the purpose of our stay. We had air cooling, it didn't cool it just blew warm air into an already hot room. Useless. We had a sofa ok that was fine but it was blocking the door to the balcony pointless? Tea coffee's fine but skimp and what I thought was a coffee maker was actually a funky clock. Um.......? The bedding was fine and the beds were very comfortable. The pillows were soft you fell through them but I just had 3 and problem was solved. I was hot so I didn't sleep well and without pull cords this was a pain. It nearly landed me in hospital! All of this was discussed with the hotel over the phone but never put into practice when I booked. Carpet was clean as was the furniture the TV was small for a Hilton again I have to ask why we get like 30"?

Now moving onto the pool side. The guy wouldnt let me text on my mobile while I was sitting in the pool. This seemed odd I confronted him and he told me it was in their terms and conditions. I asked him for a copy of these terms and conditions which he was unable to supply me. He was also unable to show me any signage showing such an item is "banned". There were some vague SYMBOLS but they could have meant anything ridiculous. There was a pipe leading to the Jacuzzi I assume to fill it up but NO signs I did trip on this. I didn't fall but again no signs? What hotel is asking to get sued. The swimming pool was ok, it wasn't very deep and I could stand end to end without any problems. The Sauna was excellent, a rock version and a very HOT and good one at that. The steam room again fine no quibbles. Lockers £1? Most hotels have gone digital why? Unhelpful didn't have change to give us. We didn't bother with the lockers coming down dressed from the pool direct from our rooms. Easier no fuss. Towels are free, the complex is free. I wouldn't pay to go there.

We had our keys cut (reprogrammed) no less than 5 times. I don;t know why I don't care. It shouldn't happen. How do I show you ID when I have been locked out of my room.

Getting bedlinen meant asking a different person on a different floor to GIVE IT to me. The queue for breakfast is so long it roles into lunch and may as well be called brunch.

There was glass on the balcony WHO CHECKS THIS? QUALITY CONTROL?

Reception staff lovely, the rest - Learn English or go I will NEVER stay here again never!

Oh Parking = £20 odd a night I kid you not. AVOID just don't bother!

Room Tip: No coverage o2 bottom or middle floor. I think the hotel is an accident waiting to happen I honestly...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jamie P
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 17 July 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on your visit, your comments on the standard and cleanliness of the room have been shared with both my Director of Operations and our Rooms Divisions Manager.

The hotel employs a wide variety of nationalities, including English and whilst we pride ourselves on the levels of service we offer to our guests, I regret you were disappointed with the service you received on this occasion. Your comments will be shared with the team for their review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment you had during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you.

damian.meadows@hilton.com

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here as it was local to the Brighton Centre. Had a great stay. Rooms were good quality and well appointed. The hotel has a great position on the sea front near the BIC and the pier. We used the bar after we came back from the show and although it was a bit expensive there was a great atmosphere in there. Excellent breakfast too. Definately stay again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your time here and managed to take advantage of the wonderful offerings on the Waterhouse bar & terrace.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon to the hotel .

Mill Creek, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel is an easy walk downhill from the train station since we only had a backpack for the nights stay. It’s a good way to get a feel for the town and see a few shops along the way. The hotel is on the beach and the front façade is lovely, even a front porch for nice days. The entrance and staff were welcoming, and although our room wasn’t ready we checked our bags and enjoyed an (expensive) English classic cocktail, Gin Fizz, in the bar. The town was fun to explore, and we most loved the Boardwalk and The Lanes. Our room was a grand size for European standards and slept our family of four, keep in mind view rooms must be limited. Ours did not have a view, but we were mainly out on the town. The beds were not comfortable for the Hilton standards I am used to. The carpet is soon in need to be replaced. The hotel interior was well kept, however the rooms, not as impressive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to add your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay in Brighton and what time you spent in the hotel was a good experience . We are about to under go a bedroom refurbishment programme that will address the issues you mentioned in your room.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the town and hotel again.

herts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. Double room was very small, the bed was pushed against wall and the carpet was dated, stained and had cobwebs in room. We complained and luckily were given another larger room which was better. The hotel is nice but dated and needs renovating. Walls and ceilings are falling apart. Breakfast was very good and I'm a nice spacious dining room overlooking the sea. Would book the grand next time as it looked nicer. A shame.

Room Tip: Chose a king overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 14 July 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the standard and cleanliness of your first room. Your comments have been shared with my Rooms Divisions Manager to address within his team.

I can confirm the hotel will be starting another phase of bedroom renovations that will start towards the end of the summer which will be carried through to next year.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel looks good from the outside but lacks the standard of other Hilton hotels. Rooms and furniture are old, the refurbishment they've done in the room shows clear signs of not being finished and even a simple thing like the shower hose being to short is rather annoying. I would expect this standard of a two star hotel, but not for a Hilton. In short we do not think it was worth the money we spent and would not recommend this hotel unless they raise the standard considerably.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room. I can confirm the hotel will continue to refurbish more of its bedrooms in 2014 /2015.

Winfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The minute I walked into the room, I wanted to leave. It was filthy. The walls had finger marks on them, the carpet was stained even worse than the one Hilton Metrople in London and the bathroom had mold on the tube tiles. I called downstairs and was told someone would get back to me. After waiting a while, I went down to the reception desk myself and asked more a new room. They were very apologetic and gave me a newly refurbished room which was 100% better. The hotel is lovely, with many beautiful classic features such as a marble grand staircase and the dining room is beautiful in all white. Brighton, however, is not a pretty seaside town. It is old, dirty and in need of repair. The beach is rocky and filled with rowdy drunks, including numerous Hell's Angels.

Room Tip: Skip Brighton altogether. The hotel itself, is lovely, if you get a new room, otherwise, the rooms a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you were not only disappointed with all aspects of your stay with us, but also Brighton as a destination did not meet with your expectations.

As we do receive a lot of very positive comments from our returning visitors and guests on our very cosmopolitan resort.