“Great spot - but a few issues”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great spot - but a few issues”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A great spot, the room was clean, but quite small and hot! Having used this venue for a conference, it was a nice base, but the traffic along the sea front, due to road works, caused some issue for conference – but of course not this is not the hotels fault. The breakfast was lovely, huge variety, fresh and staff were very attentive. As a conference venue, the suite we had was ok, the temperature there was also an issue, with our delegates and exhibitors complaining about the heat! Granted it was a hot few days whilst we were in Brighton, but it was uncomfortable and despite several attempts to address it the staff we not willing to assist. The entrance hall is very grand and welcoming and concierge and reception staff we excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank simsy200
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 7 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

The feedback you have given has been shared with my management team to review.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding the attitude from our C&B team - your comments will be shared with the relevant Manager for her review and action. Nevertheless, please accept my apologies if you felt our staff were anything other than polite and courteous.

However, I am delighted you found our concierge, Reception & breakfast team friendly and helpful during your stay.

Howard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ellistown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I don't usually bother with online reviews, but I am so incensed....! This place is an absolute joke. Even when you complain (about the food, service, damp rooms, dirty glasses, peeling paint, flaking plaster etc) NOTHING happens. As someone who spends 100+ nights in hotels on business each year, perhaps I scan a more critical eye over places than some people, but even then the standards of this hotel are beyond unacceptable. No-one cares. No-one does what they say they will do. All they want to do is charge, charge, charge. I mean, where else do you get charged a £5 tray charge AND a 10% service charge on the same room service meal? The corridor was lined with bar glasses taken up to various bedrooms last night at 9 this morning. Fair enough - the rooms were being cleaned. AT 5.30, they were still there. I mentioned this to someone at 6.30 - she was straight onto it. At 7.45, they had been joined by assorted room service trays (despite the charges) and I mentioned it again. t half-past nine, when I came back from a cooling-off walk, they were STILL there. Another phone call. And then, suddenly, a boy appeared at my door with a tray of fruit and beer - complimentary. Oh, that's OK then; the £450+ I'm spending on just staying here is suddenly all worth while. SO, guys, replace your blown light bulbs (lots), replace the cracked bathroom tiles etc etc etc. If you want to rediscover a reputation as a 'grand' hotel, it's really time you started acting like one.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 6 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your recent stay.

My Director of Operations Damian Meadows would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stays with him, please could you email him a contact number and a suitable date and time for him to get in contact with you. damian.meadows@hilton.com

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
Reviewed 5 August 2014

From check in / check out various issues involved with the duration of a 6 night stay (Reception staff / Duty Management / House-Keeping and Organisational records). Advise for patrons if you are fortunate enough to be checked in / out by Lucy G (the high standard expected of a Hilton employee) and there is availability of a refurbished room, your stay in Brighton will be memorable for the sights / sounds of the town and the wonderful location of the Hilton. If not be prepared to waste your valuable vacation time resolving basic levels of expected Customer Service and informing other travellers via Trip Advisor or other forums about your sub standard encounter with an organisation that professes that its 'members enjoy privileges and benefits reserved for its most special guests as their way of saying thanks for staying with the Hilton'.

Room Tip: Check in request refurbished room if available and A/C.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with all aspects of your stay with us.

Your comments regarding the service you received has been noted and shared with our management team. I regret we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

Chelmsford
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights at the start of August along with 4 other friends that were in 2 other rooms. First impressions of the hotel were lovely - great location, nice reception area and a smart looking bar. Got to the room and was a little disappointed to say the least. It was very small with not much space to walk around the bed. The bed was on wheels which I discovered as I sat on the bed and it moved across the room. It was extremely warm in the room with no fans or air con which made for an extremely uncomfortable couple of nights. There was a lot of someone else's hair on the floor which was quite disgusting. There was no Wi-Fi and the phone reception was nearly non-existent. All of these things were annoying to start with but what annoyed us more was the fact that the other 2 rooms our friends were in, were considerably better. One had enough space for a sofa and the other a chair and table to sit at. They both had fans provided, one of them even had 2. All of us paid the same amount for the rooms but there was a huge difference between ours and the other 2. I definitely feel as if I was ripped off and I would not stay here again. I really expected a lot more from a Hilton hotel. We weren't asked how our stay was when we checked out, so thought I would write this review.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your recent stay. Due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes.

I have discussed your feedback with my reception team and I am sorry that you were given an unacceptable impression, and I would like to assure you further that the level of service one would expect will be restored.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My partner and I stayed in Brighton on a Friday night for my birthday and were not disappointed. We had a room on the fourth floor overlooking the beach. The decor is stunning, the bar prices are reasonable and the staff are wonderful. Everything in the room was of a high standard, including ample desk space for those travelling on business. Check in was quick and painless, and check out was even faster. At £95 for a Friday night, and the option to stay for one night at a weekend (whereas most Brighton hotels state two minimum) I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay whilst celebrating your birthday, and that you found all of our team members helpful & friendly.

Hope to see you again next year.

Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a triple room at this hotel for 2 nights. It is right opposite the seafront and an easy walk to the train station and shops. No Wi-Fi in the rooms and the third bed was a Z bed and not comfortable at all. The room was very large and spacious but breakfast was not included in the price. Spacious en-suite although a little dated. The room was very hot and the air con wasn't particularly good but overall it was a nice hotel. WARNING: It's probably quicker to go down to reception if you need anything rather than phoning; I had to to get extra tea/coffee and the third bed put in place and the phone rang for AGES before being picked up and then service was slow, but very polite.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay and the hotel itself. The feedback you have given has been shared with my management team to review.

The hotel will be starting another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to 2015 this will see some of our older bedrooms & bathrooms being added to the programme.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Nice hotel but poor when it comes to caring about guests, our cooling systems was not working and we complained and after being promised they will send an engineer to fix it, no one came to fix it. We had to sleep in the heat which was so uncomfortable

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls experienced during your stay. I have discussed your feedback with the relevant members of my team for them to review.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.