“Recommended!”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is on the seafront and has a lovely façade and great view of the old pier. I was welcomed straight away by the concierge and was able to book into a room early. The lobby and public areas are very clean and the main staircase is marbled, you can also use the lift if you need to. There are 2 computers in the lobby area that you can use for free Internet access and even some Office software if you need Word etc.

Room 425 is modern and clean, with pictures of the Brighton pavilion and other venues. The room overlooks the side of the hotel and the aircon/power units but the noise is reduced to a drone with the window closed. The aircon in the room was working and I actually turned it off as it was a little too cold for me, I've read that other rooms did not have cooling but this one is fine. The room is well equipped with hairdryer, tissues, a luggage rack, good wide screen TV with clean working buttons & proper wooden hangers in the wardrobe. The double bed was quite small but very clean and enough for one person, with 4 good pillows.

The hotel location is really good, you are close to the shops and restaurants with sea views at the front. The main restaurant has a sea view as well, it's lovely to eat breakfast and watch the sea.

I used the pool and gym and both were very good. The pool is just long enough to swim proper lengths & there's also a whirlpool and sauna. There are beauty rooms and a hairdresser on site but I did not use these.

At breakfast, you can have a free "i" newspaper, very welcome if you're on your own or need a 15 min catch up with news. The breakfast range is one of the best of the chains, cold and hot buffet, various breads, muffins and croissants and even cold meat and cheese. Service was very helpful and efficient and the food good quality.

On checkout, the concierge remembered me and where I was from, he is a credit to the hotel, as he made me feel very welcome. I recommend this hotel and will stay again next time I visit Brighton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Hazel R
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed in quite a few Hilton Hotels around the world so for a one night stay in Brighton we booked into the Metropole but it left us both disappointed.

The good points are that it is close to all of the main amenities, it has a pool and sauna that guests can use and the parking is reasonably priced at £20 per day. We checked out at 12noon but we could leave the car in the car park until we left later that afternoon for no extra charge.

The bad points we found to be the rooms. The first room that they gave us, on the third floor, was basic to say the least. Four bland walls, with a bed and a wardrobe was pretty much it and no air conditioning so it was like an oven. We asked to be moved, which in fairness they did without quibble. Our new room on the fifth floor was a bit smaller but at least had air conditioning. It looked a bit more modern on first inspection so we made do as it was only for one night. On closer inspection we noticed quite a few issues that we would have complained about had we been staying there longer. The bed was very rickety and squeaked like it was about to collapse every time you rolled over in bed. In the bathroom the tap wasn't attached to the sink so when you turned it on the tap spun round as well. The sink had a large crack in it and the raiser bar for the shower head over the bath wasn't attached at the bottom and almost came off in my hand.

So, overall a disappointing experience and certainly not worth the cost. It wasn't what I have experienced from other Hilton Hotels and should I go to Brighton again I would probably look at cheaper B&Bs which would be just as nice.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very basic so ask to change rooms if you are not happy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with most aspects of your stay with us, due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes, unfortunately without the room number I am unable to ask our Chief Engineer to inspect the room with his team, to see what action can be taken.

The hotel will be starting another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to 2015 and this will see some of our older bedrooms & bathrooms being added to the programme.
Once again please accept my apologies for any disappointment you had with your stay

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I checked into the hotel quite early and was given a nice room. Once in the room I noticed it was extremely stuffy in there. There was no air conditioning. Only a fan in the wardrobe. I called reception as the tv wasn't working. The man came quickly and I asked if the hotel had air conditioning. He said it did but in our particular room it wasn't working. I tried for nearly an hour to get through to reception to try and get moved as it was so hot that day. After an hour of no one answering I went down to reception and asked to be moved. They finally agreed after speaking to a manager. When I was moved though it was to a very old and outdated room that was nearly falling apart. I just wish I was told at check in that the room I was being given didn't have air conditioning and given an option. I wouldn't have minded waiting to check in later until a room was available. Also the room service and breakfast was awful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank luvatl

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay. I can confirm the hotel will continue to refurbish more of its bedrooms in 2014 and 2015.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I am currently still at this hotel but thought I'd sign up to tripadvisor just to leave this review.

After reading all the horrible reviews I really wasn't looking forward to staying at the Hilton. But from the minute I entered the hotel I felt very welcomed, not to mention it's gorgeous. When we arrived early they even let us check in early!

The carpark is very convenient, and the swimming pool and sauna are amazing. Room service were very polite although a little overpriced the food was worth it! Such good quality. Not to mention the view is beautiful. The staff are extremely helpful and I can't wait to return to this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Beccark
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel. It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Grand expectations from this brand and such a prominent location and setting. Failed to deliver on anything apart from the buffet breakfast. Will not be returning unless I can guarantee a better room.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ben M

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read that we did not reach expectations and please accept my apologies. Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and please be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Normally the Metropole would be outside our budget, but as we were staying on a Sunday night and used some Hilton Honors points, it made the room a very good deal (although sadly it didn’t include breakfast, which I have no doubt would have been excellent, but I wasn’t prepared to pay £17.50 per person to confirm).

Parking in Brighton is expensive, so we decided to make life easier and park under the hotel in Hilton’s car park. Luckily we arrived just after 3pm, so there were plenty of spaces. We were checked in smoothly and given a room at the back of the building, so no view to speak of and the children were disappointed it didn’t overlook the sea. I explained the price difference for a room with a view of the sea! With the deal we had there was no way we could complain.

We had a family room that was very large and also had a very large bathroom, which meant there was plenty of space for all of us to move around. Disappointingly, the large double bed was two singles pushed together, one of my big dislikes and, as mentioned in other posts, the temperature of the rooms is quite high with the ‘air conditioning’ seemingly doing nothing other than making the noise of an air conditioning unit. It might be an idea to pack your own fan if you can.

It was odd to see that despite having two units that at one time would have contained a minibar, neither of them now did and maybe that’s why the HH complimentary water never showed up. We did pop to the hotel bar, which is not cheap (as you would expect) but is well staffed and serves some good local ales. Thank you!

On Monday morning I took the children to the pool area (open until 10pm, but closed to children after 6pm Sun to Thurs and 7pm Fri and Sat, which seems fair to me). There is a really good-sized indoor pool that was lovely and warm, as well as a whirlpool, steam room and sauna; an excellent facility that really made the children’s day.

I would like to recommend the Metropole, but I would not advise paying over the odds just for the location and name. If you can grab a deal it’s worth it, otherwise I would shop around.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrHandBaggageOnly

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review. I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

I was very pleased to read you took the time to relax and spend some time in our leisure facilities to include the pool & sauna.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

A great spot, the room was clean, but quite small and hot! Having used this venue for a conference, it was a nice base, but the traffic along the sea front, due to road works, caused some issue for conference – but of course not this is not the hotels fault. The breakfast was lovely, huge variety, fresh and staff were very attentive. As a conference venue, the suite we had was ok, the temperature there was also an issue, with our delegates and exhibitors complaining about the heat! Granted it was a hot few days whilst we were in Brighton, but it was uncomfortable and despite several attempts to address it the staff we not willing to assist. The entrance hall is very grand and welcoming and concierge and reception staff we excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank simsy200
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

The feedback you have given has been shared with my management team to review.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding the attitude from our C&B team - your comments will be shared with the relevant Manager for her review and action. Nevertheless, please accept my apologies if you felt our staff were anything other than polite and courteous.

However, I am delighted you found our concierge, Reception & breakfast team friendly and helpful during your stay.