“Charming Old Metropole”

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Manchester,England
“Charming Old Metropole”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Just had a four night stay at the Brighton Metropole and really enjoyed my stay.
The hotel is in a great location on the sea front but close to the city centre,The Lanes and Brighton Pier are all close by and within easy walking distance.
The breakfast in the hotel was really good with a really large choice of foods and the staff were very attentive.
The room which we had was really large and spotless clean, the building is Victorian and shows signs of age, the hotel bar was great with a sea view. The only one point of concern was the lack of air conditioning but considering the age of the building this is somewhat understandable.
The hotel offered great value for money and is worth checking out.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 14 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, as you say the hotel really is in a great location, and makes it a great base which enables you to visit all Brighton has to offer.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team makes our guests stay more enjoyable.

Regard
Howard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
croydon
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here with my hubby and son as it was our sons birthday. Check in was easy and professional and our room was really nice albiet without a fridge. I telephoned reception which took ages to get through. We went for a swim and returned to our room but no fridge had been delivered. Telephoned reception again which took ages to answer and was told there wasnt a fridge available! I telephoned to delay our dinner reservation and again waited ages until the telephone was answered. Apart from this the room and dinner/ breakfast service and quality of food was great, as always. Maybe they were just short staffed but was an enjoyable experience as last year.

Room Tip: Obviously the best rooms are sea view rooms with balcony, these are the most updated and obviously t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 13 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the delayed service when contacting our 1 call team.

Your feedback has been discussed with the relevant members of my team and rest assured the appropriate action has been taken to ensure the best service levels are once again evident.

southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

great hotel lobby with chandeliers and sweeping staircases. Twin room a disappointment as very small/poky and hot and stuffy so we hardly slept. Cracked tiles, torn wallpaper but otherwise clean and tidy - felt a bit like a Travelodge from a room point of view so I would definitely upgrade next time. Pool and tub and staff and lobby great though and location can't be beaten!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not meet in regards to the standard of you room. I can confirm the hotels refurbishments programme will continue in to 2015 which will see some of our older bedrooms added to this programme.

As you say the hotel does have an ideal location and is in easy reach of all the main attractions Brighton has to offer, I do hope to see you back again soon at the hotel.

Surrey
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I paid a lot of money to stay here with my husband. We had a sea view room on the second floor. It was nothing like it was described. The balcony was covered in bird droppings which stopped me from stepping out on to it. I would have hoped it would have been cleaned daily. The room was clean and the bed comfortable but the hotel is so old fashioned - there is no wifi. I would not recommend this for a special occasion.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review
Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you had with your room, your comments regarding the standard of cleanliness have been shared with both Rooms Divisions Manager and his team.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Spent a long weekend in Brighton with the family (4, 8, 10). Had one room for 5 - spacious, great facilities. Kids loved the indoor pool esp. on a rainy day. Wife loved the gym. Perfect location for beach and some amazing restaurants. Concierge helped us find great food, not tourist pap. They didn't tell us that we got a 50% discount on Sealife which cost us £40 we can't get back - but otherwise great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

It is always a pleasure read when our team have provided a wonderful experience and service for our guests.

I was also delighted to read that you and your family took the opportunity to enjoy our Spa and leisure club during your stay.

I do hope to see you back again soon at the hotel.

Northampton
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Here for 2 nights. Managed to get a good deal. Wouldn't have been happy if I hadn't! This hotel must rely on past glories - I would say it doesn't have any current ones. All a bit "faded glory" really. Very average room with those annoyances where things don't work properly. Fairly disinterested reception staff (they probably have to be - when we were checking out there was someone complaining about the poor standard of their room, I'm sure they wouldn't be the only ones). Reasonably prompt, if disinterested/robotic response to those room annoyances.

Did request ahead for (payable) room upgrade to sea view but nothing was provided on arrival.

Didn't have dinner here - went to the Grand next door (both nights). One thing we did like was the bar area (apart from the fact that the double glass doors don't close very well and then the wind blows in). Had a brunch snack here on the Saturday morning - it was ok although described as "tempura" I would describe it as "in batter"! Also a chicken Caesar salad while not terrible was a bit soggy. Needless to say the prices were for a better quality product! Bar staff were more pleasant though.

It has all the cheap Hilton pennypinching annoyances of paid wifi, no complimentary water or biscuits to go with a cup of tea. Just little things that would mean something. With Hilton generally though - paid wifi? In this day and age and type of hotel? Really?

Despite the above, I probably would stay here again (but also look for something else in the same area) as long as I could get a cheap enough deal (because that is all it is worth) simply because of the location. I wouldn't pay their normal rates which are inappropriate for the standard of the hotel. The location is its only real asset.

If I could get somewhere else close by at a decent rate though (for Brighton's exorbitant levels) I would certainly try it - this place doesn't engender loyalty (but then they probably don't care!).

Room Tip: I was only in one. The window wouldn't lock in that one and it was over an accessible flat roof...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 11 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you felt your stay fell below the Hilton standard. The hotel is in the process of refurbishing and redecorating a large number of rooms.

Whilst we will always endeavour to meet guest requests for certain views, room numbers etc, unfortunately these cannot be guaranteed when the hotel is particularly busy. Your comments regarding your room have been noted and shared with the relevant management and I apologise for any disappointment.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is on the seafront and has a lovely façade and great view of the old pier. I was welcomed straight away by the concierge and was able to book into a room early. The lobby and public areas are very clean and the main staircase is marbled, you can also use the lift if you need to. There are 2 computers in the lobby area that you can use for free Internet access and even some Office software if you need Word etc.

Room 425 is modern and clean, with pictures of the Brighton pavilion and other venues. The room overlooks the side of the hotel and the aircon/power units but the noise is reduced to a drone with the window closed. The aircon in the room was working and I actually turned it off as it was a little too cold for me, I've read that other rooms did not have cooling but this one is fine. The room is well equipped with hairdryer, tissues, a luggage rack, good wide screen TV with clean working buttons & proper wooden hangers in the wardrobe. The double bed was quite small but very clean and enough for one person, with 4 good pillows.

The hotel location is really good, you are close to the shops and restaurants with sea views at the front. The main restaurant has a sea view as well, it's lovely to eat breakfast and watch the sea.

I used the pool and gym and both were very good. The pool is just long enough to swim proper lengths & there's also a whirlpool and sauna. There are beauty rooms and a hairdresser on site but I did not use these.

At breakfast, you can have a free "i" newspaper, very welcome if you're on your own or need a 15 min catch up with news. The breakfast range is one of the best of the chains, cold and hot buffet, various breads, muffins and croissants and even cold meat and cheese. Service was very helpful and efficient and the food good quality.

On checkout, the concierge remembered me and where I was from, he is a credit to the hotel, as he made me feel very welcome. I recommend this hotel and will stay again next time I visit Brighton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Hazel R

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team made your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.