“Great location, but tired hotel”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Visited the Metropole with a work conference and the service etc was very good, and the conference facilities were too. The hotel is quite grand and spacious in parts, but could do with a refresh. The room was disappointing - very tired and the air con did not work. Opening the windows for some air was tricky as there was a massive piece of equipment outside (possibly an air con compressor) which droned all night long. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1980s. I was temped to stay for convenience a second night, but at £180 it simply is not worth it. And finally, my big issue with Hiltons - they charge £15 for in room wifi. This should be free in 2014! what really annoys is that they wifi software keeps popping up, and making it difficult even to connect to my iPhone's hotspot.
Good location though, right on the sea side.

Room Tip: sea facing to avoid the drone of plant at the rear, which goes on all night long
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Leigh B
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

The hotel will be starting another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to 2015 and this will see some of our older bedrooms & bathrooms being added to the programme.

In regards to the Internet not being complimentary, unfortunately the agreement is a national one for Hilton Hotels set by our Head Office and not at hotel level.

However I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and professional throughout your stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the hilton during august at is busiest time, the hotel has a grand enterance and a very large grand looking building from the outside. The reception is a large area with many people to help you and to take your bags up to your room. The swimming pool is very good aswell it is heated, there is a jucuzzi, saina and steam rooms aswell as a gym.
The rooms are very spacious and I would reccomend the rooms woth sea view for the extra good experience.

Overall not a fault but I feel thay it is abit pricy for what you get, £17.50pp for breakfast

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and took the time to relax and take the time to enjoy pool and leisure club.

It is worth checking our website as it sometimes works out cheaper to book your room with breakfast included.

Regard

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic building, friendly staff, and nice bar/atrium area. It's just a shame they forgot to spend any money on the rooms. Bad air con, a tv from the 1990s, dust in fairly obvious places, and a bathroom that wouldn't look out of place in the 1980s. Luckily here for only 2 nights but wouldn't recommend for longer stays. Can't see myself returning.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan J

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was delighted to read that you and found our team to be friendly and helpful during your stay with us.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Having just got back from two weeks staying at Hilton brand hotels in the USA I was very disappointed with this hotel. It's a great location on the seafront but the interior is scruffy. It needs redecorating and the carpets need cleaning. A soiled sheet was left on my bed for 3 days before it was changed. I took a drink from the bar to my room and the glass wasn't cleared the next morning. Although I am an hhonors gold member I wasn't offered an upgrade on check in even on a paid basis while others checking in were offered upgrades. Other Hilton hotels I have stayed at in the UK have been excellent but I really wouldn't recommend this one.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank John L

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies for the standard of cleanliness you experienced during your recent stay, your comments have been shared with our Rooms Divisions Manager and his team.

The hotel really is in a very good location, and makes it a great base to explore the local area and all Brighton has to offer.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Just had a four night stay at the Brighton Metropole and really enjoyed my stay.
The hotel is in a great location on the sea front but close to the city centre,The Lanes and Brighton Pier are all close by and within easy walking distance.
The breakfast in the hotel was really good with a really large choice of foods and the staff were very attentive.
The room which we had was really large and spotless clean, the building is Victorian and shows signs of age, the hotel bar was great with a sea view. The only one point of concern was the lack of air conditioning but considering the age of the building this is somewhat understandable.
The hotel offered great value for money and is worth checking out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, as you say the hotel really is in a great location, and makes it a great base which enables you to visit all Brighton has to offer.

It is always a pleasure to read that the service provided by our team makes our guests stay more enjoyable.

Regard

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here with my hubby and son as it was our sons birthday. Check in was easy and professional and our room was really nice albiet without a fridge. I telephoned reception which took ages to get through. We went for a swim and returned to our room but no fridge had been delivered. Telephoned reception again which took ages to answer and was told there wasnt a fridge available! I telephoned to delay our dinner reservation and again waited ages until the telephone was answered. Apart from this the room and dinner/ breakfast service and quality of food was great, as always. Maybe they were just short staffed but was an enjoyable experience as last year.

Room Tip: Obviously the best rooms are sea view rooms with balcony, these are the most updated and obviously t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the delayed service when contacting our 1 call team.

Your feedback has been discussed with the relevant members of my team and rest assured the appropriate action has been taken to ensure the best service levels are once again evident.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

great hotel lobby with chandeliers and sweeping staircases. Twin room a disappointment as very small/poky and hot and stuffy so we hardly slept. Cracked tiles, torn wallpaper but otherwise clean and tidy - felt a bit like a Travelodge from a room point of view so I would definitely upgrade next time. Pool and tub and staff and lobby great though and location can't be beaten!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not meet in regards to the standard of you room. I can confirm the hotels refurbishments programme will continue in to 2015 which will see some of our older bedrooms added to this programme.

As you say the hotel does have an ideal location and is in easy reach of all the main attractions Brighton has to offer, I do hope to see you back again soon at the hotel.