“Not good enough”

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Not good enough”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Well, its a Hilton but this hotel has no class.

First thing is the rooms are tiny.

I booked a seaview double room, described as having a sofa bed as well as double bed.
Meaning that i would have some space, there was no sofa bed, therefore the room was frankly absurdly small for the price.

When i explained to the receptionist that my room was not as described she said that none of the these rooms had sofa beds and the website shouldnt say that because it makes it difficult for them.

She gave me a free internet pass (they charge you £15 for in room wifi) because she could tell i wasn't happy. That was nice, but don't expect any welcoming smiles or feel like anyone is particularly pleased to see you, an overlooked quality in this establishment.

The room itself. Stained carpets, cobwebs. Ridiculously small bathroom. Very very average shower.

The pool is ok. Sauna, steam room, jacuzzi ok. But its all a bit run down.

Every corridor, landing is a bit crusty.

This hotel probably was once really great but you feel like nobody cares about it now.

Its in a good location but I wouldnt recommend, not at the price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kerim999
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 22 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with all aspects of your stay with us, due to the age and style of our hotel our bedrooms do come in all different shapes and sizes.

I can confirm that not all of our Double deluxe sea views come with sofa beds, however our Double Deluxe Plus sea view rooms do all come with sofa bed’s, unfortunately without any information on your booking I am unable to investigate further.

Your feedback on the standard of cleanliness of your room has been shared with my Rooms Divisions Manager to address within his team.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and please be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Howard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Good location and should be grand but the Hilton feels impersonal, is not well looked after and provided a very unrelaxing stay. The staff don't speak English well, the room was poky, windows were dirty, shower had 2 settings: too hot or scalding, shower curtain was tatty plastic and rubbish remained on the main staircase for the whole of our overnight stay. Breakfast food quality was good but the room was so hectic with everyone getting up and down all the time to queue for food at the buffet that it felt like being in a busy canteen. All in all a lot of money for a hectic stay.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Kzroo

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on your visit, your comments regarding the temperature of the shower has been shared with our Chief Engineer, your comments in regards to the cleanliness of the public areas has been shared with our Rooms Divisions Manager to address within his team.

The hotel employs a wide variety of nationalities, including English and whilst we pride ourselves on the levels of service we offer to our guests, I regret you were disappointed with the service you received on this occasion.

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

The problem with a 4 star hotel is that expectations are higher, not unreasonably considering the 4 star prices. I was surprised, therefore, at the fact that at breakfast the places were laid out with only one knife, presumably following the American habit of using dirty cutlery for the next course. As others have noticed, there are often dirty trays and similar in the corridors.

I like the king bed in my bedroom, however the downside was that there was no room, for example it was impossible to fit a chair between the desk and the bed. In fact I would say that the room was really just that bit too small for the price I was paying.

Of course the main complaint with this hotel is the lack of air conditioning in the rooms and the early part of my state really needed it.

Nevertheless it is a good hotel, with a good quality breakfast, though you should check whether breakfast is included in the price you are paying. Overall I think this hotel is good but expensive.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 21 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations on certain aspects of your stay.

Your comments regarding the cutlery of breakfast and the room service trays have been shared with both my Food & Beverage Operations Manager & Restaurant Manager to address within their team.

Cheshire
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed at the Hilton on Tuesday the 19th august 2014. Room 554.
This hotel is a Hilton by name and not by the usual standards of the chain. Although the hotel has been grand in the past it requires urgent refurbishment.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I was sorry to read that your room did not meet your expectations and would like to offer my apologies, we do take all guest feedback extremely seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

Our bedroom refurbishment programme will be continued in to 2015, which will see some of our older rooms being added.

Banbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Was looking forward to and overnight stay at the Hilton as always associated name as being excellent.
I was very disappointed with my double sea view room as to even to be able to see out the window i had to get onto built in desk/ unit to be further disappointed by the windows being filthy.
The room was nothing like any of the photographs i saw of the rooms on the internet. Very small, air con that was useless, stained carpet and a bathroom that was small with what seemed a shower cubicle that had a broken door and an old shower curtain in its place. Tiles and grouting mouldy and just basically not what i expected for a 4 star hotel.
Have registered my complaints via email, if i had been staying longer would have asked for a change in room.
On a plus note the breakfast was excellent

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joanne B
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to add your review,

I was sorry to read of the disappointment and inconvenience that you encountered, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights to use some accumulated HH points. Recently became a Gold HH member so on arrival was offered free breakfasts for myself, wife and two children.

Restaurant food of a high standard and cater for children - particularly reconnect the buffet at just £15 for two courses.

Cannot fault the hotel really other than bathroom a little dated. Great location, wonderful staff and a lovely place to stay.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank littledoras
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 20 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, as you say the hotel is ideally situated.
It is always a pleasure to read when our guests find our team members helpful & friendly throughout their stay.

We look forward to you returning soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed there with with my wife, 5 year old and 1month old.
The room was fantastic. Very spacious. The staff were brilliant and polite.
My only prob was not enough bins, and when I asked how much it was to get breakfast delivered to room, I wad told it was free only to be charged £6 . I would have gave that as a tip anyway if it was free, and the WiFi in rooms is too expensive. That should be complementary by now.
That said, I loved it there and would stay again. Great customer friendly staff, very alert and punctual. Very clean and a great unrivalled spread for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank deanylkl

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and that you found all of our team members helpful & friendly. I have shared your comments regarding the bins with my Rooms Divisions Manager to review

We look forward to you returning soon.