“Don't book online!”

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Don't book online!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

I made a booking for afternoon tea with the restaurants booking service. I immediately received a confirmation and reference number, great or so I thought. Arriving on time the following day with my family as we were giving my 80 year old mum a treat, we were told they had no note of our booking. I showed them my booking confirmation and was told they had not been advised by anyone! To be fair the staff were very apologetic, on being seated ( not a great position) as bar was fairly full, we were told we would have a bit of a wait, 50 minutes later we were served. Some of the bread was dry and scones totally flat like biscuits, obviously it had all been rushed. I have frequented the Metropole on many occasions and felt very disappointed by this, especially as we were raving about it to my mother.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sandra W
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 1 September 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your disappointing afternoon tea experience.

Having spoken to Mark Davies from my Waterhouse Management team, he has asked me to also offer his apologies and would be delighted to discuss this with you in more detail.

If you could please send Mark your contact details he would be more than happy to call you to resolve your dissatisfaction.

Please email your details to mark.davies@hilton.com

Howard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in August, (bank holiday weekend) and to be honest I found the stay to be disappointing. Sizeable que to check in, understandable giving the weekend, but the room only had one towel, no hand towels, bath mat or any other kind of towel. Took two phone calls to sort but after two hours ended up with more towels.

We did enjoy the afternoon tea in the bar, through they had no teaspoons for the tea....

Overall the stay was ok, but disappointing, room was clean and basic, not the biggest but ok. I would stay I think they have to many guest for the hotel, as breakfast is a full bun fight and checking in and out is a lengthy process. This is my second stay and my first is very much similar so feel this is the standard. I think Hilton could do with upping their choices in Brighton maybe another hotel so this might encourage this hotel to raise its game....!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HowardLewis-GM, General Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 3 September 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Please accept my apologise for the delayed service you received upon your check in, this certainly is not the standards we are striving to achieve, your comments have been shared with our Reception manager for her to review.

I would also like to apologise for the lack of towels in your room, unfortunately, we did experience a fault with laundry during the time of your visit and although this matter has now been resolved, I do apologise for any inconvenience you experienced as a result.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you had with the hotel and be assured we are renovating and improving the hotel on a regular basis.

Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel I think has excellent potential. I love the old charm of its lobby and restaurant. The restaurant also had quite decent food. However, I go to hotels to sleep and the rooms were disappointing to say the least.

The rooms were very tired looking which I guess was not unexpected given the age of the hotel, but upkeep was very poor with cracked walls and furniture, which is opposite of the excellent upkeep in their lobby and restaurant. What really bothered me though was the lack of an AC which I didn't know was still possible for any hotel that is at least 3 stars or even one that is pretending to be 4 stars. Sure you might say you don't need AC in Brighton, but I'm used to keeping my thermostat at 74 at home, and the temperature outside was 63 per google. So what's the problem? It felt like 80+ degrees in the room even with the windows open. Cold rooms are easily remedied by more blankets but warm rooms will make me very uncomfortable at night. The concierge literally took 4 calls (it would become busy after 3 mins or so and I would need to call back) before picking up, and their solution was that there was a fan in the closet (a 1 foot baby fan) and that not all rooms have air-conditioning. Needless to say I haven't been able to get much sleep and am now up instead of sleeping writing this review.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank vicest

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with all aspects of your stay with us, I am also sorry to read that your room did not meet the standard you expected. Unfortunately not all of our bedrooms do have air conditioning.

I can confirm that the hotel towards the end of the summer the hotel is about to start another phase of bedroom renovations which will be carried through to the following year, this will see some of our older room refreshed and updated.

Howard

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here august bank holiday this year, the whole hotel is looking very tired, we paid £200 for a double room which was very small. The shower was rubbish, it wouldnt stay on the wall so it had to be held over your head.
staff were friendly enough, some a little difficult to understand.
The location is fantastic, only a very short walk to the pier, and lots to see just outside the hotel.
It was nice having the choice of a swimming pool there for when we came back in the evening, this was probably the nicest decorated area of the hotel.
We were very dissapointed when we found we had to pay £20 a day for parking. It is there own personal carpark and i feel they charge enough for the rooms, so to add a parking fee its a bit cheeky.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rebecca_nash

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

As you say the hotel’s location make it a great base to explore and visit all that Brighton has to offer.
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with most aspects of your stay with us.

In regards to the rate for the car parking due to us being a city hotel we offer a very competitive rate within the city centre to our Hotel guests, the charge for the car park for 24 hours is £36.00 however once we apply the discount for our in house residents the rate goes down to £20.00.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed for one night mid week in Brighton at the Hilton Metropole.

The hotel itself looks quite nice from the front and is located on the seafront closer to the old pier. It is very close to the Brighton Centre and a short walk from the main pier and town centre.

The check-in was ridiculously busy and there was no queuing system with people pushing in. The staff were quite rude and abrupt and no apologies for the delay.

We were very impressed with the hotel room (room 416). It was very large with plenty of windows looking directly over the sea front and lots of light. There was a large dressing area to the left when you go in with a double wardrobe. Along the right hand wall were two desks, one with the fridge built in. Around to the left slightly was a large sofa and coffee table with a large wall mounted TV which could swivel to be viewed from the bed. And then there was a huge bed. The bathroom was large with a separate shower cubicle and bath tub. The rooms were extremely clean.

The only problem we found was that there is a construction site/road works happening directly outside our hotel which started early in the morning.

The hotel is a little run down in places and could do with a bit of attention but the rooms are absolutely fine.

We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

As you say the hotel does have a good location and all the local sights and amenities are in walking distance from the hotel.

I am sorry that the service you received from our Reception team was not up to our usual high standard - your comments have been shared with my Front Office Manager to address within her team.

Please accept my apologies for any noise disturbance you may have had during your stay, unfortunately this is due to the works that have been started for the i360.

Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Clean and comfortable room with friendly and helpful staff. Ideal location. Although there were Extortionate parking fees at £36 per 24 hours. Good sized rooms for a Family of four, not at all cramped, the beds were all proper single beds and not small sofa beds.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and found the team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay.

I can confirm that the charge for Car parking for our in house residents is £20.00 per night, which need to be paid for at our main reception desk upon check out, however if our guests pay at the pay machine in the car park the discount will not be applied.

Please contact my PA directly so she can investigate further tina.staplehurst@hilton.com
I look forward to you returning soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have always stayed in the Hilton when visiting Brighton. It is a great family hotel and staying there has always been a lovely treat for a few days. Great room, especially if you have a sea view, very friendly staff, fantastic buffet breakfast with a lovely area for the children to help themselves. I have stayed in other hotels in Brighton but I find the Hilton is by far the best!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

ChefPeterBuckingham, Manager at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 29 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to add your review.

Thank you for your very genuine comments and feedback which are gratefully received.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us in the future.

peter