“DO NOT STAY HERE IT IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Thrift
“DO NOT STAY HERE IT IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

We checked in on the 2nd May 2010 for 1 night. Be aware that you can not check into your room until 3pm and that although there is a car park the hotel charges £16 per day for this facility. If you are expecting a comfy bed think again. All beds are zip together beds so there is a ridge down the middle. I have had this confirmed by Dan the Duty Manager today. If you book on last minute or expedia be prepared to be segregated to the over-flow restaurant for breakfast you are not put in the main restaurant with the sea views. The breakfast was good and there was plenty of variety but at £140 + a night you will expect more then what you get. Reception is plush but the rooms although clean are not of the standard one would expect. We stayed in a Hilton King Deluxe Plus but there was nothing deluxe plus about it. The view from our room as you will see in the photo's was hardly stunning. Avoid at all costs...i expect the travel lodge would be better value for money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 17 May 2010
Thank you for your review, In reference to your comments regarding the car parking due to being a city hotel we offer a very competitive rate with in the city centre to our Hotel guests, a 50% discount on the original price is offered to our in house residents which then takes the price down to £16.00 per night.

I am sorry you felt that you were put into our over flow restaurant due to you having booked your room via a third party, this is not the case when entering the breakfast room our staff are unable to distinguish how our guest bookings are made. Had you asked to be seated in our main restaurant for breakfast, our breakfast team would have be more than happy to oblige, if you had not of minded a wait for a table to be available.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We stayed in a what was supposed to be a very nice room on 4th Floor, however, all I can say is that this hotel needs to be refurbished. Although the room was spacious, the carpet was dirty, the curtains were filthy, no air- conditioning, stale smell in the room and poor cleanliness. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but could not manage more than 1 night. The only good thing was the location. I think the hotel manager seriously needs to put forward a plan of action to re-vamp this hotel or else it will go down hill. Not impressed!! When we go on holiday and pay premium prices the hotel has to be better than being at home but in this case we could not wait to get home the next day. The thought of spending another night in this hotel room was just too off putting.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
HotelAdministrator, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
I was disappointed to read that your stay had been marred due to the cleanliness and condition of your room, and you felt you were unable to speak to one of our Duty Managers regarding this whilst you were with us. Unfortunately, I do not have your date of stay or your room number to investigate further, however I have passed your feed back to our Accommodations Service Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2010

My husband treated my teenage daughter and I to a night at the Brighton Metropole while visiting Brighton Uni. He booked a double room but we were given a free upgrade to a Suite with balcony and sea view (room 309) - which was absolutely fabulous! Very tastefully decorated, clean and everything worked. The staff were very attentive and professional and the breakfast buffet was good quality with French toast and eggs cooked to order. The gym had an excellent range of up to date equipment. The hotel itself has a beautiful sweeping staircase mixed with modern and traditional style furniture which works well. A very pleasing stay and I look forward to returning there.
Reading other recent reviews - maybe the 5th floor needs an overhaul?

• Stayed April 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us, I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay in the Hilton Brighton Metropole Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wrexham
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Arrived at the hotel for the Brighton Marathon, excellent service at check-in , all services were explained, times that breakfast were available - important on the race day as I had previously e-mailed the hotel and was told that breakfast was at 8a.m. on a Sunday - which was not the case - for race day.
Told that we had been allocated a "nice room " - but were disappointed in that the furniture was chipped, lower sill on the TV unit was breaking away and the shelving was dusty - not what I would expect from a Hilton Hotel. ( Room 566)
As a base the hotel is ideal for the attractions that Brighton has to offer, restaurants, shops and beach bars.
It was ashame as the hotel is grand, and a great deal of effort has been taken on the public area- shame that that bedroom wasn't up to standard, or "nice".

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelAdministrator, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 30 April 2010
Thank you for your recent comments that you added to Trip Advisor. I would like to express my gratitude to you for taking the time to communicate to us the areas where we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay. Your feedback is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services.

Firstly, I would like to extend my deep and most sincere apologies to you for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay. I was disappointed to read that your felt your stay our hotel had been marred due to quality and the condition of your room. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our normal levels of service or standards. Your feedback has been shared with both our Accommodations Service Manager and Facilities Manager.
Nice
Reviewed 16 April 2010

My wife and several others were due to stay at this hotel but had to cancel following the Iceland volcano eruption which has grounded all flights. The hotel has refused to refund, whilst Easyjet a low cost airline with a similar no cancellation tariff offered an immediate refund. Hilton offered a rebooking in the next 30 days which is of no use. I suggested transfering the booking to another Hilton elsewhere but this was rejected. Pretty poor.

• Stayed April 2010
GuestAssistance, Guest Assistance at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 28 April 2010
Hilton offer competitive pricing on their Advance Bookings and as such have a no refund policy on these reservations.
The decision to offer a rebooking option to yourselves was made due to the exceptional circumstances arising from the disruption caused by the volcanic ash situation. Unlike the airlines we had no cause to cancel Guests reservations as we were able to operate as normal.
Thank you for posting your review, I do hope this clarifies the issue.
london
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Just got back from staying here with my girlfriend for 2 nights and not cheap at £228 plus parking (£16 a night).
Good times, well the service in the bar you couldn't fault at all and the doorman letting you in at all hours, and of course the location.
Bad times, the room was clearly a single room, no room at all to swing a cat and chill out on a sofa, the heating was non existent and air con made a clunk clunk then did nothing.
Complained and was told a heater will be delivered, never happened, then as if by magic the radiator was on but set to a minimum.
There was a constant draft from door to window and vice versa and several calls had to be made for the room to be cleaned..........overall I have stayed here a few times, but will seriously consider another hotel........change your room if you get number 555 !!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank malc316
HotelAdministrator, TS Hotel Administrator at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
I was disappointed to read that you experienced several inefficiencies during your stay at the hotel. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our normal levels of service, having checked your booking I can confirm that you were allocated a double room for your stay, all feed back regarding the heating in the room has been passed on to our Facilities Manager.

All of our guests are highly valued and their feed back is very important to us, I would like to thank you for taking the time to add your review.
Lisbon
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I stayed for a 3-night break recently and, altough Hilton has lovely facilities, great breakfast and location, the bedroom was a huge disappointement. . I did not expect an orchestra in the lobby, as used to be the case, nor dinner without a written menu; but I did expect a family room with curtains that closed, a toilet system that did not sound like someone was being strangled every time it was flushed, a TV that worked, air conditioning that did not try to turn the room into a vacuum, a kettle in which one could see steel inside rather that stalagmites of calcium, and 100-watt light bulbs. The suspicious brown liquid seeping out of the mini-bar during the night and the hole that had been kicked out of the bottom-left corner of the door to the corridor were bonuses we only noticed later – the latter when I was trying to kick my way out of the room when the lock had jammed, causing mild panic attacks in my better half. The staff members were all very pleasant.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AvaPLisbon
Thank you for your review on your stay with us, I am sorry to read that your stay was marred due to the inefficiencies you have out lined in your review. I have passed your comments on to the appropriate Heads of Department, your comments are currently being investigated to ensure that appropriate corrective actions are. I am looking forward to hearing from you in the very near future and to having the opportunity of winning your confidence back. In the meantime, please do feel free to contact us at anytime if we may personally be of any assistance to you.