“Room was small for two and no air conditioning in heat wave”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Room was small for two and no air conditioning in heat wave”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My friend was on a business trip and had a good corporate rate for this hotel and we decided to stay one extra night to enjoy Brighton. Location-wise it was excellent as it was off the main boardwalk, facing the sea. However being a typical chain type hotel, it was crazy at the restaurants at mealtimes with poor service. Reception was always too busy and you end up having to wait ages to talk to them about anything. Room was crowded with two large twin beds. Was unbearably hot and windows could not open very far in the late june heatwave when we went. No air-conditioning so be forewarned if staying over summer. Bathroom was small and basic toiletries, nothing exciting. I would only pay for its location and ease of access to seaside and if at cheap corporate rates but not for service, room quality or restaurants. Hotel Du Vin is way nicer and a 10 mins walk away as it's a small boutique hotel. A bit dearer but if you want a nice relaxing holiday with quality rooms and service, then not Hilton Metropole.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank poshredkitty
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
I am terribly sorry you experienced these problems during your stay, your comments have been shared with the relevant heads of department for them to immediately address, I would like to thank you for taking the time to add your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I wasn't really sure what to expect after reading the mixed reviews. After entering the hotel I was greated by friendly staff and the classic decor. I was booked in a double duluxe on the second floor with a sea view. The view was great apart from the charred west pier..but not much they can do about that. The room was clean, spacious and modern. I was very happy with the bathroom too.

I had a very enjoyable weekend and would return to this hotel for its rooms, service and location.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services for our guest’s therefore, I am very grateful to you for taking the time to add your review.
London
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Yes the building may be a little old and the rooms a little small. But for a vey large hotel we couldn't fault the service. All staff we had dealings with were efficient, extremely helpful and provided a level of service we wouldn't have expected when catering for so many people. My wife and I decided to have a cheeky weekend out of London and not having visited Brighton for a number of years decided to give it a go. We are in the HHonors program and the hotel is bang on the seafront so we booked for Friday and Saturday night. The photos of the hotel do not convey it's actual size, it looks pretty big from the front, but it's actually a square shape with the same number of rooms on the back. We were a little aprehensive when we arrived as it all seemed so busy, but we needn't have worried as staff couldn't do enough for us. Nice pool, breakfast is also good (go early or late to avoid the rush) rooms are basic but very clean and the location is fine..

1 Thank KevandJan
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you for your comments I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your time spent with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Brighton and our hotel soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Booked this through the texco vouchers scheme - if not it would have been far too expensive for what we got, but in all it was pretty good, on the evidence we saw don't let other negative reviews put you off. It is a big hotel and has a pretty high level of service all in all. I don't know exactly what some fellow contributors expect but on the evidence of other criticisms they want perfection! I thought staff were generally helpful and friendly - especially in pool and sauna. Breakfast had a good variety and was fresh. The front dining room is excellent and good for a sea view. The room was modern and well decorated, though there was a hair in the bath - something to watch! The facilities in room were good and overall an excellent location on the sea front within an easy alk of pubs and restaurants. A friend whose partner travels all over the world reviewing hotels was not diappointed by this property and I trust their judgement!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I stayed here for one night to attend a concert at the Brighton Centre; the hotel is only a short walk from the centre.

We had a suite - Room 211 (The Wilmington) in case you want to avoid it, having read what follows.

The good points about the suite are the comfortable bed and the room’s huge size. There’s a very large bedroom and an adjoining sitting room, and the views across the beach and the sea are nice (even if the remains of the West Pier are a somewhat depressing sight). Oh, and the traffic is quite noisy.

The room, however, is poorly furnished and badly finished. Practically all the plug points and switches are fixed to a wall at an angle and there is only one armchair in the bedroom. There were also two glasses of cigarette ends left on the balcony, which I phoned down to reception to get removed. That was only the first of many calls to reception.

In trying to write something down, whilst making a phone-call, I discovered that the pen was broken (not out of ink, but the mechanism was completely and obviously broken). Then I went to watch TV and discovered that it wouldn’t work. Having scrabbled around in the dust at the back of the cabinet, on which the TV was sitting, I discovered that it wasn’t plugged in. So I had to plug that in.

We went out for the evening and on our return, the room was in total darkness. There had been no turn-down service, and we could only get the bathroom light to go on. No amount of turning on other switches seemed to allow us to turn on any of the lights in the bedroom. I called reception. They said that there was a key card reader by the door. There wasn’t. In the 15 minutes that it took to send someone up to have a look, we finally managed to figure out that the lights would not go on because they were all unplugged. Moving the bedside cabinet in order to plug in another lamp, I discovered three half-used bottles of poppers and some spare change. Nice.

We decided we’d have a beer from the minibar. A great idea until you find that there is no way to open it. Another call to reception and we were furnished with a bottle opener a little while later.

On going to bed, I discovered (although I should have realised this) that the master switch to turn the lights off by the bed was not working, and so I had to get out of bed and go and turn each light off individually.

I then turned on the air conditioning. It did have an effect on the temperature but the noise (with the fan speed set to ‘auto’) for the next couple of hours was like trying to sleep next to Vesuvius in full flow.

Showering in the morning was also fraught with difficulty. There’s no handle on the inside of the shower door so you need to reach up to the top of the glass to pull it shut (there is a handle on the outside). And you need to pull it shut quite vigorously otherwise it doesn’t seal the door properly and you flood the bathroom. Added to which, the shower attachment doesn’t fit into its socket properly, meaning that when you turn the water on full, it falls out. Again, it was a matter of being vigorous with the thing to get it to stay in place. Judging by the dents and kinks in the shower hose, I could see that previous occupants of the room had been equally vigorous.

Other gripes, include the fact that you’re still expected to pay £15 for internet access and £4 for a large bottle of mineral water … in a suite. Surely, in the days when the local Travel Lodge gives everyone free internet access you can expect the same in what claims to be a premier hotel.

On the bright side, the hotel is so disorganised that, upon checking-out, the automatic mini-bar had not added my beer and cashew nuts to the bill. The receptionist didn't seem that concerned when I told her. And nor did the parking charge or the cost of my morning paper appear on the bill.

So, for £254 a night this is very poor value for money. The receptionist didn't ask how I'd enjoyed my stay. Perhaps she already knew the answer to that. I shall not be returning.

1 Thank mark121

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

ipswich
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed here using our Tesco vouchers for weekend, to celebrate a friends birthday, I was a little concerned (to say the least) about recent reviews of the Hotel, but when we arrived my fears immediately vanished, we were given a lovely warm welcome at Reception, and our rooms (Executive King with Sea View) were AMAZING!!! Massive bed, modern clean bathroom, little balcony and french doors, and complimentary champagne for our friend - how thoughtful! I do think the rooms vary and some have been refurbished - we were on 1st floor (room 107) and third and fourth floors, (306/406) and all were very nice, no complaints at all from me - and I am fussy!!! Book an executive room to avoid disappointment, the double deluxe were nowhere near as nice.
Breakfast was also lovely, hot food, plenty of choice and a beautiful room. The front of the hotel looks good to - better than the Grand next door!!! Thank you to Hilton - we had a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for you lovely comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you back with us soon.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

my partner and i have just returned from our first weekend away in brighton.i booked the metropole back in january as they had a special offer on.we have stayed in hiltons around the country before and have found them to be comfortable if not somewhat outdated.we did read some of the review and to be honest we were put off.however the price being so good we thought we would carry on and judge for ourselves.
we arrived on friday 23rd july very tired as we had been to the war and peace show and it had been a very hot day.the hotel was very smart and welcoming which extended to the reception staff.our room 206 was simply wonderful.extremely clean,lovely decor and a modern bathroom.we had a lovely sea view and balcony.it couldnt have been better.the breakfast was outstanding as were all the staff,from the reception to the fitness room.we are hoping to go again in october.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services for our guest’s therefore, I am very grateful to you for taking the time to contact us.