“The wind kept us awake almost all night”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“The wind kept us awake almost all night”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

This was our second visit to this hotel, but it will probably be our last.
We arrived about 3pm and were told our room was not yet ready. We were however offered free tea or coffee while we waited.
We paid extra for a deluxe room with a sea view, but this was a big mistake. We loved the view, especially of the swooping starlings, but hardly slept a wink during our stay. Our room was on the top floor and the wind whipped round the window and roof creating a loud, high pitched whistle.
The shower was separate from the bath, which was nice, but the tray filled up with water.
On our first evening we decided to eat in the hotel. We had a 3 course meal which was tasty, but the portions were so small we had to open a packet of biscuits and have a bag of crisps when we got back to our room. At breakfast the next morning we had to wait ages for our tea and coffee as the waitress took them to the wrong table and we had to reorder.
We arrived back at the hotel mid afternoon one day after a long walk, only to find our room still had not been made up in spite of our putting a notice on the door requesting it be done several hours earlier. We had to return to the lounge area to wait for it to be done.
Hotel parking is £15 per day, which is quite extortionate. Then when we left, the exit ticket we were given failed to raise the barrier.
The location of the hotel is great, so I might recommend for this reason.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to add your review, I was disappointed to read that you experienced several inefficiencies during your stay at the hotel. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our normal levels of service. I have forwarded your feedback to the relevant heads of department for them to immediately address.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We telephoned as we drove in to Brighton to ask about parking and they told us to just park in the public car park on Req Sq which was a bit strange as I was sure they had their own car park - but I'm glad they were unhelpful as Req Sq car park is cheaper than theirs (which they confirmed on check-in that we should have been told to use)! Anyway some minor problems - one day we got back to our room at 4.15 and it still hadn't been cleaned - but reception was very sweet about it, in fact the reception and concierge were wonderful throughout. Also we only had one crappy pillow each and had to call for another pair. Otherwise our standard room was fine, small but comfortable, for 2 nights anyway. Pool was ok except it seemed to fill up with OAPs at 10 am! Location and public areas very nice. We got a good advance deal so no complaints really. Great shower!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to add your review, your comments have been shared with the relevant Heads of Department. I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and helpful.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Stayed here overnight on a Saturday. Hotel is in a great location right on the seafront. The hotel is only a 5-10 minute walk from the train station (there was a very large queue with no taxis in the rank). Upon check in we were upgraded to a king deluxe room. The room size was good but the view overlooked the air conditioning unit and walls, not great but we were only there for a night. Breakfast was good but not the usual hilton choice. Not sure if this is cost cutting or they had had a busy week/weekend. Overall I would stay at this hotel any when we visit Brighton again.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to add your review, each of your comments have been forwarded to the relevant Manager for their consideration, e look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I am often surprised with the reviews on tripadvisor, but I usually take them with a pinch of salt and try and put myself in the position of the reviewer. However due to the sheer number of bad reviews for this hotel, I was incredibly nervous about staying here and only did so due to the Hhonors program and the excellent rate and upgrade opportunity.

I was not dissapointed. The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach and close to everything Brighton has to offer. The cab from the train station is less than 5 quid. After a long journey from Manchester I was so pleased to arrive at this beautiful hotel on a warm summers day.

The check in was efficient and the porter was incredibly friendly and helped me with my very heavy bags. The check in staff member advised that my upgrade had been succesful and that I was staying in a seafront deluxe room. The porter escorted me to my room and the room he showed me was not the room I was advised of at check in. He quickly sorted this out however and I was shown to my room.

I was very impressed. It was enormous, clean and with a huge bed. The balcony opened up to a beautiful view of the beach. The bathroom was huge as well. The room was well furnished and very comfortable.

I was in Brighton to see a concert at the Brighton Centre and the location couldnt have been more perfect. I ate breakfast in the restaurant the next day and was pleased with the typical Hitlon fare, although the buffet selection was definitely more limited than at other large Hilton hotels.

I am at a loss to understand why so many people have written such scathing reviews about this property. It is by no means perfect, but there are problems at EVERY hotel. Perhaps a lot of these reviewers have not stayed at too many hotels and have unrealistic expectations?

I would not hesitate to stay at the Hilton Metropole when I am next in Brighton.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services for our guest’s therefore, I am very grateful to you for taking the time to add your review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My friend was on a business trip and had a good corporate rate for this hotel and we decided to stay one extra night to enjoy Brighton. Location-wise it was excellent as it was off the main boardwalk, facing the sea. However being a typical chain type hotel, it was crazy at the restaurants at mealtimes with poor service. Reception was always too busy and you end up having to wait ages to talk to them about anything. Room was crowded with two large twin beds. Was unbearably hot and windows could not open very far in the late june heatwave when we went. No air-conditioning so be forewarned if staying over summer. Bathroom was small and basic toiletries, nothing exciting. I would only pay for its location and ease of access to seaside and if at cheap corporate rates but not for service, room quality or restaurants. Hotel Du Vin is way nicer and a 10 mins walk away as it's a small boutique hotel. A bit dearer but if you want a nice relaxing holiday with quality rooms and service, then not Hilton Metropole.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank poshredkitty
I am terribly sorry you experienced these problems during your stay, your comments have been shared with the relevant heads of department for them to immediately address, I would like to thank you for taking the time to add your review.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I wasn't really sure what to expect after reading the mixed reviews. After entering the hotel I was greated by friendly staff and the classic decor. I was booked in a double duluxe on the second floor with a sea view. The view was great apart from the charred west pier..but not much they can do about that. The room was clean, spacious and modern. I was very happy with the bathroom too.

I had a very enjoyable weekend and would return to this hotel for its rooms, service and location.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services for our guest’s therefore, I am very grateful to you for taking the time to add your review.
London
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Yes the building may be a little old and the rooms a little small. But for a vey large hotel we couldn't fault the service. All staff we had dealings with were efficient, extremely helpful and provided a level of service we wouldn't have expected when catering for so many people. My wife and I decided to have a cheeky weekend out of London and not having visited Brighton for a number of years decided to give it a go. We are in the HHonors program and the hotel is bang on the seafront so we booked for Friday and Saturday night. The photos of the hotel do not convey it's actual size, it looks pretty big from the front, but it's actually a square shape with the same number of rooms on the back. We were a little aprehensive when we arrived as it all seemed so busy, but we needn't have worried as staff couldn't do enough for us. Nice pool, breakfast is also good (go early or late to avoid the rush) rooms are basic but very clean and the location is fine..

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevandJan
Thank you for your comments I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your time spent with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Brighton and our hotel soon.