“grand old hotel, bit overpriced.”

Hilton Brighton Metropole
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
berkshire
“grand old hotel, bit overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2010

A grand old hotel, with great staff. Check-in was quick and easy.
We stayed in a deluxe sea view room for 2 nights. The room was okay, big enough- the only dissapointment was no bath just a shower. There was a balcony which was a bit rusty and could do with a revamp.
Breakfast was perfect, everything you could have wanted. (pancakes cooked to order mmmm!)
The pool was a bit small and the lighting was quite dim but it was clean and there was a family changing room.
I'd stay again if there was a deal on but not at normal prices!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Perthsire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

We have just returned from a long weekend in Brighton. We booked our room in January during the Hilton sale and requested a deluxe double room sea view which we got. The room was lovely and big, very comfortable bed and the bathroom was spotless. Really good selection of toiletries. The staff at the reception could not have been more helpful or friendly. The breakfast spread was excellent, plenty of choice and the staff were again very efficient and friendly. As soon a plate was emptied it was cleared away. The hotel was very clean and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We would stay here again and feel we certainly received value for money. The hotel is in a super position - very close to the pier and only a few minutes walk away from the shops. Only downside was the fire alarm going off on our last morning at 5.45am!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

Great old hotel and a very enjoyable stay. The location cannot be beaten and the staff was fabulous - really helpful and charming. Check-in was excellent, with a really warm welcome and proactive service.

We stayed in an executive, but non-view, room. The room itself was large, comfortable and well appointed, but had hands-down the worst view I have ever seen: a massive brick wall just a few feet away. It was all one could see unless one leaned out of the window! Bathroom, bed and TV were all great.

Breakfast was a full buffet in a grand old Victorian dining room and was fine, again with great staff. Check-out was a breeze.

Classic Brighton hotel and highly recommended, but try to get a sea view.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LunaLondon
HotelAdministrator, TS at Hilton Brighton Metropole, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to add your review, and you found our team to be very welcoming, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bexley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

I stayed over the August bank holiday weekend with my husband and teenage son,the hotel was v.busy but we did not have a problem.We paid for a Deluxe family room which was beautiful,six foot double bed and a single for my son,sofa,coffee table,flat screen TV and a beautiful new bathroom.I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions all staff are very helpful and efficient.Car park is £16 per night , we stayed for two ,after checking out we stayed in Brighton for the whole day and still only paid £32 so not bad for three days(cheaper than the NCP).Breakfast is fab.I only have two niggles 1.They do not have any family deluxe rooms with a sea view. 2.I think the pool could do with some new lighting to give it a bit of atmosphere its a bit depressing ,so we don't use it .We will definitely be back as it fullfils all our needs for a weekend away.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for adding your review to tripadvisor, I am delighted you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us, your feedback is extremely important to us to ensure that we continuously improve our services for our guests.
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Where do I start?
This hotel was the venue for the 4 day conference I was attending and consequently was fully booked.
-There was only 1 lift working the entire 5 days of my stay (the hotel has 6 floors).
-The internet in the room cost 15 pounds per day. The first day it went down and a maintenance man came to my room at 9:00 pm to look into it. He ended up saying that 2 other floors were also without the internet - so why did he come to my room at all when it was obviously a more global problem! When the internet was still not working the next morning, I contacted the front desk and asked that they credit my internet charge back which they agreed to do.
-That same morning I put my laundry in for cleaning. It was a disaster - missing my underwear, someone else's trousers and underwear given to me, and ruined one of my tops. I notified housekeeping who came and collected it and said they would look into it. On the last afternoon of my stay I asked at the front desk about my laundry problems as I hadn't heard another word from any hotel staff. They sent a housekeeping person up to my room who was unaware of the problem at all. She promised to look into it at 7 am the next morning when the laundry agent opened - I was checking out at 8:30 am to catch the train back to London. I was not contacted by anyone, so when I checked out I viewed my bill and saw it didn't have the internet or laundry charges so I assumed that was how they had dealt with it.
A few days later I noticed that my c redit card had been charged for both items. Ugh. The hotel's finance dept have since credited back these 2 charges but I still have not heard anything from the hotel about the laundry problem.
I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to add your review, I have passed all your comments to our Accommodations Service Manager to address.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Oxfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

We booked this hotel as a treat and apart from it being a beutiful building - I found the service and greediness to be disappointing. Not as close to the Pier or the Lanes as it makes out.

The biggest headache for me was the young foreign girl on the desk told me she needed my card to take a copy of but I asked her to reassure me that if I gave her mine - no money would come off it because my partner was paying. She said no - they just needed to hold a card number and I could pay with another. What they infact do is effectively take the money from your account on hold and then refund you if you use another card which takes 5 and a half days. This meant that I became overdrawn and I had to goand find a branch of my bank to cover the overdraft. I did complain about this when we checked out and they let us have the parking for free. It was a pain because I then had to borrow money from my partner because I had had to use any cash to avoid bank charges.

First of all the twin room booked for myteens was a double. They took ages to change the bed situation and when they did - they just stuck a child bed on the end.

Their room also you couldn't switch the air conditioning off so they were cold all night.

Our room was a small double with a shabby bathroom and an unmoveable showerhead which is no good for ladies.

There was a big bottle of water on the desk (which had condensation inside - so I am guessing it was tap water) saying £3.95. I found this very hostile as soon as you see the room.

The mini -bar was not free as with other hotels but very expensive. There is not a big sign saying this. If you look at the drinks menu - it says if any of the mini bar items are so much as moved - you will be charged. And if you want the mini bar emptied they will charge £15!!
It is £16 for their carpark - which I am told is more expensive than the public ones.

£15 per 24 hrs for internet connection and I think you have to pay for extra bedding.

I found that all very greedy. No wonder the Hiltons are so rich!

We were also woken at 4.40 in the morning by a loud fire alarm and had to evacuate the building. There was no guidance and no-one counted us or told us what was going on whilst we stood out half-dressed in the rain.
we were eventually told we could go back to our rooms with no apology.

There was a letter of apology outside our rooms the following morning saying how pleased they were that their alarm was so sensitive.
The concierge later told me it happens all the time.
Infact, the other concierge, Roberto was the best thing about the hotel!
Having said that - the breakfast was fantastic. Really massive spread, nice staff and beautiful room.

I may complain to the management in the hope of some compensation but I doubt I would get very far. It is a great shame because my parents were going to book it for 18 of us for my mum's 70th if I had recommended it.
Beautiful regency building in the public parts of the hotel though!

The swimming pool was very busy so we didn't bother.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for adding your comments on your recent stay with us I look forward to receiving your letter.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

This was our second visit to this hotel, but it will probably be our last.
We arrived about 3pm and were told our room was not yet ready. We were however offered free tea or coffee while we waited.
We paid extra for a deluxe room with a sea view, but this was a big mistake. We loved the view, especially of the swooping starlings, but hardly slept a wink during our stay. Our room was on the top floor and the wind whipped round the window and roof creating a loud, high pitched whistle.
The shower was separate from the bath, which was nice, but the tray filled up with water.
On our first evening we decided to eat in the hotel. We had a 3 course meal which was tasty, but the portions were so small we had to open a packet of biscuits and have a bag of crisps when we got back to our room. At breakfast the next morning we had to wait ages for our tea and coffee as the waitress took them to the wrong table and we had to reorder.
We arrived back at the hotel mid afternoon one day after a long walk, only to find our room still had not been made up in spite of our putting a notice on the door requesting it be done several hours earlier. We had to return to the lounge area to wait for it to be done.
Hotel parking is £15 per day, which is quite extortionate. Then when we left, the exit ticket we were given failed to raise the barrier.
The location of the hotel is great, so I might recommend for this reason.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to add your review, I was disappointed to read that you experienced several inefficiencies during your stay at the hotel. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our normal levels of service. I have forwarded your feedback to the relevant heads of department for them to immediately address.