“Not Impressed”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed for three nights. Room on the 4th floor - looked sort of newly decorated but very poor. Bathroom really rough. All credit to our cleaning lady who managed to make the room and bathroom look very clean.

Breakfast was tasteless; did not bother to get up on the last two mornings ate out. Staff at breakfast were all over the place - if they did not understand what you were requesting they just smiled and walked off ?????

Would I go back - No

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kings Hotel

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here for a night via the lastminute.com 'secret hotels' offer after my boiler blew up, leaving me heating and hot waterless at home!

I paid the grand sum of £36.55 for my room, which was a double on the 5th floor. The room was quite small, but perfectly adequate and the bed comfy - and the bathroom had hot water, so job was done as far as I was concerned!

Amenity wise, you get a TV, tea and coffee facilities (albeit with that nasty UHT milk and no fridge, but then what do you expect for that price?!) and WiFI, although this doesn't work on the upper floors of the hotel. If you're visiting Brighton it's in a great position, very close to the town centre and situated right on the seafront. Yes, there are better equipped hotels about, but you'll need a better equipped wallet to stay in them.

In short, if you're after a cheap stay, you couldn't really ask for much more. I'd definitely go again :)

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor (no WiFi coverage) and on the side of the building, so no seaview. Sea fac...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I booked a deluxe sea view room with King bed through Hotels.com website.  Unfortunately it was neither deluxe nor a king bed, not a proper hotel king bed.

The furniture seemed okay and coordinated and serviceable and except for huge rips in the armchair!  Why did they bother leaving the chair in the room?

Went straight back to reception and spoke to the Reservations Manager who told me the room was deluxe because it was a larger room (? Seemed a Normal size double to me) and that the bed itself should have been advertised as a double not a King. I emailed the booking to her as requested. As for the ripped chair she said it must have been the last guests and the hotel were not made aware of it as yet.  Interestingly, you will see a review on here in November also mentioning the ripped chair in the same first floor deluxe sea view room!!!

Had a very uncomfortable night as the springs could be felt through mattress so just could not stay the further night booked and checked out.  The reservations manager spoke to me and changed from saying the bed should have been advertised as a double to... She measured a similar bed which was a king size! I asked for refund for 2nd night because of the poor night and she told me they couldn't refund as I had paid Hotels.com not them.  You will notice a similar theme for people who could not spend another night there.

I contacted Hotels.com who phoned the hotel to see if they were willing to refund the second night under the circumstances which they refused.  Hotels.com had to make the grand gesture and refunded instead, which was gratefully accepted... But shouldn't the Hotel take responsibility?

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful, but on arrival we were shown our room which was supposed to be Superior and was very small and dark, so I went back to the reception and we were offered another room, which was larger and lighter, and we got upgraded to a superior de-luxe sea view room wich was lovely and newley decorated.
The hotel is in a fantastic location right on the front and it is clean, as the manager pointed out, it is a three star hotel and is not pretending to be anything else.
A pleasant stay, ok for a night or so, would we go back, only in the superior deluxe room.
Bed was ultracomfortable, and the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 301 Sea view superior de-luxe
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

For me the location was key to my stay here, it was very good value, I had the breakfast on my last day the rest of the week I walked into town for a good coffee shop (well worth the walk)
I had room 410 it was ok a good size and bright warm clean (ish)
Bed was ok Wi-Fi was a bit hit or miss but ok.

Overall I would say this was a fair value for money hotel, I was travelling solo, I would not have stayed here with wife and daughter, however for me on my own it was ok.

Free Parking on the seafront from 6pm to 9am and £1.20 for the hour £2.40 two hours £3.00 3 hours £4.00 4 hours and £9.00 for 7 hours however if you park on the seafront 150 yards east towards Hove its £4.00 for 7 hours!

I would be happy to stay here again on my own

The Staff were very nice, the reception staff were friendly and helpful, the chambermaid who cleaned my room was very thorough and always ready with a smile

Andy
www.rooms36.co.uk

Room Tip: I found room 218 very noisey from 6am to 12 midnight however room 410 was very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

A revisit to this hotel after a three year gap. We always ask for a quiet room and the helpful receptionist said that we had been upgraded to a quieter area of the hotel. The family room that we were put in was very large and overlooked a side road. Unfortunately, while this attempt to help us was probably in good faith, the behaviour of the people in the room above served to styme our attempts ot sleep. As has been reported, there is no noise insulation in this hotel so a good nights sleep is russian roulette. the people in the group room upstairs were obviously going clubbing and had a good party before setting out with what sounded like a bed bouncing gymnastics competition involving heavy dismounts. The finals were then concluded between 2 and 3am when our nerves snapped and calls had to be made to reception to try and end the antics.

Obviously, its very hard to make up for a lost nights sleep but this was the fault of the fabric of the hotel rather than anything else. The good points were - comfortable beds, effective wifi, clean large bathroom with very quickly filling bath. We also approved of the wall mounted soap and shampoo - so much less wasteful than the little bottles. Breakfast was fine although the tea was like dishwater - in the UK there is simply no excuse for poor tea. The reception staff were helpful and pleasant so no problems there. It's quite a quirky hotel and good value for money - which is probably why it attracts hen nights etc. If you do get a quiet room (as we did three years ago) it can provide a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lizzie__C
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This hotel looks really good on entering the building with a trendy reception / bar and eating area on the ground floor with attentive freindly staff, however on leaving the public areas you soon discover your room is along a narrow passage with lots of fire doors that slam shut behind you with much noise.

My room had clearly had a make over at some point, shame they had run out of money and left the old stained carpet in place and did not have enough money to replace the wardrobe and dressing table that were both long past their best. You could here every slam of every fire door clearly in the room, as a matter of fact you could here what everybody was upto in every room above, below and next to yours as well.

I really did not enjoy my stay here it has to be said and would not book again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business