“Good Location, an 'OK' stay!!”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My girlfriend booked this hotel through Travel Republic as an upgrade to the Travelodge we had originally booked...for £6,00 more. The hotel is right on the sea front so the sea view are second to none...for the price of a £10.00 upgrade. We were greeted with the usual local Eastern European accent (guess locals need to get work elsewhere) who were pleasant enough, then informed us that if we wanted to park in the shared hotel car park it was an extra £15.00 per night, something to bear in mind if your running on a budget, the alternative of parking on the side streets can be a bit hazardous due to parking permits being needed.
Once we got our room, although there is a lift, we had to negotiate a rabbit warren of corridors to get to our room (we did not bother with the sea view upgrade and settled for views into other rooms in the opposite hotel). The room was tidy, clean and looked like it had had a recent attempt to modernise it, although the bathroom seemed to have been left for a later date.
The following morning we got an early morning call...from the room above. Clearly the material separated the floors is nothing more than a plank of wood and plasterboard. The noise was horrendous and the person inflicting the noise was doing nothing more than walking around the room...the addition of a pair of heels and she (I presume it was a she...its is Brighton after all) meant we were wide awake.
We had a drink in the bar when returning after a night out, the bar is pleasant and as soon as a receptionist is available...you will get served.
Conclusion...an 'OK' hotel but don't pay too much to stop here....and take earplugs.

Room Tip: Front rooms offer a great sea view for an extra payment. Take earplugs if NOT stopping on the top fl...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NidgeB
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for your review and your comments will be taken on board. The hotel does employ local staff and we employ the person most suitable to the position at the time. Unfortunately we do not have straight corridors as the building is a series of converted Victorian town houses. I agree the views from the hotel are spectacular.

I do hope you will return to the hotel when you are next in Brighton.

Iain Lindsay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,672)

Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

A creaky hotel on Brighton seafront - value and clean would be two ways to describe it! A long journey from the reception to the bedroom - many fire doors and felt that we had walked along the pier before we got to the room

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for your review. The hotel is a series of converted town houses which makes it impossible to have straight corridors. The fire doors are essential for guest safety. From the AA the hotel has a three star metro grade which is for limited service hotels. I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Iain Lindsay

Reviewed 27 November 2012

My husband and I visited Brighton to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary - we found a great deal for the Kings Hotel on Expedia and stayed here for 2 nights. It's a perfect, nearly centralised location to everything we wanted to see and do - close to all the major shopping, right along the seafront, a stone's throw away from the Laines and the Pavilion - we never had to walk far to reach our destination. The website states that check-in time is 3pm, but we were able to get into our room early which was an absolute godsend as we had walked from the train station in the rain and were thoroughly soaked. Our room, while small, served it's purpose and was extremely clean and comfortable and quiet - we both enjoyed the full size bath which was most welcome after spending all day walking in the wind and cold! Our only complaint would be the wi-fi - we were told that it was available throughout the hotel and were given the password to access it, but we couldn't find the hotel's wireless signal in our room at all and were unable to access it. A very relaxing place all in all and we look forward to staying here again in future.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This hotel has a good location on the Brighton sea front. However, I found the staff to be rude & not very helpful(it seem to be difficult task to get a receipt for the room).
Also, the breakfast choice was very limited & the staff didn;t seem happy when helping yourself to orange juice etc.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights 14th + 15th Nov 2012. I found it within easy walking distance from the coach station. Reception staff were very helpful + polite. My single room on 4th floor was clean + comfortable. Price doesn`t include breakfast which suited me as I`m not a breakfast person. So many hotels include breakfast in their price whether you want it or not + if you`ve paid for it you almost feel obliged to indulge..I had a dental appointment in Hove on the 15th + it took me about 15mins to walk there. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 19 November 2012

stayed here during the middle of Nov 2012, Hotel staff were very helpful and accommodating, clean and nice sized rooms, shower was the "Biz" so powerful and hot so really enjoyed that.
food was very well presented, and prices for both food and drink were average for the town.
only downside they have limited parking for the size of Hotel, but if your travelling by public transport then it doesn't matter.

Room Tip: Double rooms are all at the front so you get a Sea View, others are at the sides and rear.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank santo50
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I am a bit disappointed to write this review. This hotel is in an excellent location in Brighton, East Sussex. The staff quality is excellent too. They are courteous and helpful. I also liked their sumptuous English breakfast that was complimentary. The National Express coach station in Pool Valley is just about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel through the wide sidewalk across the sea road. And the main market place, Churchill Square, too is about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel. The hotel is surrounded by eating places from different ethnicities.

My problem was the hotel's business practice. I stayed in this hotel 16-20 September 2012. I booked my reservation two months earlier in mid-July 2012, requesting a twin room for the first night and a single room for the subsequent three nights. The hotel informed me that rooms per my request were available and my reservation was confirmed. However, when I reached there on 16 September, I was informed that I was 'upgraded' to a 3 single-bed room. As I entered the room (number 111), the experience was immediately disappointing. There was hardly any space in the room. One could not even sit on the chair to use the desk for the internet. No seat for guests. No refrigerator in the room. The bathroom is very basic, no rack for towels and no hook for hanging clothes, and no exhaust fan in the bathroom. No telephone connection in the room, so one could not speak to the reception or housekeeping staff when necessary. Yes, hot water was easily available and there was a reasonable size television set in the room. There were also tea, coffee and sugar sachets and real milk in the room. I am used to the hotels and motels in the USA. Even the cheapest motels in the USA (about $40 a night in the Disney-area in Florida in the summer months) have better amenities. They could not even change my room for a better one.

I booked my room through email at the University of Sussex rate, but found later that their online room rates or even walk in room rates are relatively cheaper.

I would advise prospective new clients to avoid staying in room number 111 which is sub-standard, unless they are a large family. Another problem was the mezzanine floor - my room number 111 was between the first and the second floors and it was really difficult to get there with a large suitcase because the elevator stopped only on the regular floors.

This inconvenience apart, the hotel is good and the outside, overlooking the sea, is quite enjoyable.

Room Tip: Look for a room on the ground floor, first floor, and second floor. Avoid the mezzanine floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business