“Rude Staff and awful bedroom”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
portsmouth, hampshire
“Rude Staff and awful bedroom”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We arrived in a very joyful mood as we had booked 2 nights in Brighton, when we arrived at the hotel the staff member on reception was so rude and challenged me on what name I had booked the hotel room under, he was just awful and he spent 5 minutes arguing with me!!! The bedroom was appalling, how they can call it a double bedroom I do not know, when you have to literally squeeze pass a radiator to get to the other side of the bed. The TV remote controls were not working correctly. The floorboards were so bad we could hear every step people made whilst in the room, it was as if a herd of elephants were walking around the hotel. There was also a definate smell of cigarette smoke on the 1st and 2nd floor (we were on the 3rd). The room was just awful, I did question it, and everything else we were not happy with, but again poor staff = poor service. The breakfasts were okay - one morning I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, and I could not eat it as the salmon was water logged........so when my plate was collected I didn't even get an acknowledgment or was not asked about why I had left it.........to be honest after making more than one complaint already it was obviously not worth making another as they did not take any notice of my previous complaints. Again on checking out I mentioend the room/staff and didn't get anywhere. We would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
I was disappointed to read your review and apologize we did not meet your expectations. Your booking was booked under the name of the person who made the booking for two rooms and the desk staff had to correspond your room to that name not your own name. This is what they were trying to communicate to you. I apologize you got off to a bad start and that we could not meet your expectation from this moment on.

Iain Lindsay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was our 2nd visit in 12 months to the King's Hotel. It has loads of character and beats the mega chain hotels on atmosphere alone. Room v. comfortable, spotless, bed comfy. What makes the visit is the fantastic sea view, lying on a comfy bed watching the winter sunset over the sea. Unbeatable. Breakfast great and staff friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Great to read that you enjoyed your stay again for the second time this year. The views are great and staff are always polite and friendly. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Iain Lindsay

Always book direct with the hotel on 01273 820854 - we guarantee that you ill not find the same room type at a lower price anywhere else.
lancs
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here thurs till sat.hotel in good location on sea front.shame about the scaffolding outside our room.didnt see any work going on though.Main reception and restaraunt very nice.even though the rooms seem to have been upgraded.they dont quite hit the mark.should have got rid of the woodchip.Bed not that comfortable and duvet seemed very old.clean though.Breakfast was very good.with ample choice and as much toast as you want.For a stay in an english seaside town not a bad hotel but then we never have the same expectations as we do when we are abroad.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your review and I was disappointed to read we just did not make the mark on the bedroom. It does not sound from your description that you were in a refurbished room. Unfortunately the scaffolding was necessary for repairs to the building and re-painting. It sounds as though you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Iain Lindsay

Always book direct with the hotel on 01273 820854 we guarantee that you will not find the same room type at a lower price anywhere else.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Lovely heartwarming cooked breakfast with a seaview on a cold, crisp, sunny morning. Worth the stay just for the breakfast! Very traditional feel staying on the sea front surrounded by the regency buildings. We got a 'Pavilion Room' and was very spacious, modernised with new carpet, flat screen TV, power shower etc. Very comfortable stay in a good location for a quick overnight stay to visit relatives. Loved the mosaic inscription on the doorstep of 'Kings Hotel'.

Room Tip: Our room (123) at the side was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for your review and I hope to see you again when you are visiting relatives in the area.

Iain Lindsay

Always book direct with the hotel on 01273 820854 - we guarantee that you will not find the same room type at a lower price anywhere else.
Ipswich
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here for the weekend on the 8th November as it was my birthday. We didn't want to pay a lot for a hotel but still wanted something that was clean, in a good location and also included breakfast. We were really pleased with our choice! The reception staff were brilliant. When we arrived we asked if we could park in the hotel car park but unfortunately there wasn't any room (its first come first serve at £15 per night). We were advised to park in a car park down the road which was a bit of a walk and £22 per night which was annoying but the receptionist said we could move our car the next day as people were going home and we wouldn't have to pay for the car park space for the rest of our stay (result!). The room we had was clean and in a good condition. Shower was powerful enough. It did tend to get a bit hot in the room due to the radiators being on a lot but we could open our window and I would prefer to be hot rather than cold so not really any complaint there. The breakfast was ample for me. A lot of people complained about them being tight on the breakfast but who wants a massive fry up everyday, not me. You could help yourself to as much bread as you wanted so I can't really see the problem! Yes the mushrooms were tinned but it's never claimed to be a 5 star hotel ! It was about 10min walk to the shops and bars but that didn't bother us as we didn't want to be right on top of them. There are plenty of taxi's and the walk was quite nice when it wasn't raining!!! The bar didn't really seem to have constant staffing it so that was a bit odd and not really sure what time it shut at nights. On the Friday night they served us till about 3am but then we got told off by the night porter for being loud and that guests had complained. All in all a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review and it was great to read you enjoyed your stay. I hope we will see you again in the near future when you are next looking for accommodation in Brighton.

Maidenhead, Berkshire
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked a room at the Kings Hotel for one night, specifying a single sea view on a low floor. On arrival I was told that there was only a double room available and that I had to pay an extra £10.00 and I was happy to do this. My room overlooked the beach and the pavilion, really lovely! There was no double glazing and you could not open any window or door and there was noise from the street and music from the bar but I felt the view made up for it.
The room was lovely, newly decorated, bathroom with all mod cons and I thought the staff was nice and helpful. Breakfast ... yummmmm! Salmon & scrambled eggs!
It was not too far to walk into town, I had a great time exploring the lanes, shopping is great.

Room Tip: Choose a Sea view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I believe you had made a request for a single room sea view however these are requests and subject to availability. I was pleased we managed to compromise and get you a sea view room for a little surcharge. Great that you enjoyed the view and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Our booked hotel was so bad we had to find another and we ended up in the King's. Did not get the sea view but the beds were clean and even though the decor was tatty it was basically clean and the shower was powerful and hot even though it could not be held by hand.
The coffee was quite the best I have ever had in a hotel anywhere in the world (60 years of world wide travel including the chains - Hilton, Holiday Inn and Swiss).
The staff were efficient and friendly and the breakfast, I had the pancakes and fruit, was excellent.
Bit of a maze, the corridors are very narrow and the lift did not take us up to our floor.
The room had everything we needed for a one night stay but the guests were very noisy in the night and in the lounge during the late evening there was a bit of a pantomime with some eastern europeans.

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage get a room that is served by a lift.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you moved to the Kings and had an enjoyable stay even though we could not accommodate your sea view. Hopefully the next stay you will be able to get a sea view and make your stay more enjoyable.