“Not good value for money”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I booked on line. The hotel offered car park, but only had limited spaces so I had to park in a private car park and it cost me extra. I asked for a room with a view. The view overlooked a courtyard with other windows looking in, so for privacy had to draw the curtains. Room poky and noisy, can hear the people above me. Will NEVER book on line again and certainly not this one!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We only paid for a basic room, when we opened the door it turned out we had a full sea view. Not sure what happened but fine by us!

The view was amazingly lovely. We had a kettle with tea/coffee, a TV with good choice of channels, en suite with a bath, table and chairs and it was a lovely relaxing stay.

Had we paid the true price of the room I probably would have been disappointed with the extremely stained carpets - which ruin the luxury of the rest of the room.

All in all, it was a great location, friendly staff, comfortable nights stay and I would recommend!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that on this occasion we were able to upgrade your room. I apologise about the carpet and will certainly be speaking to the housekeeping regrding the situation. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Lovely hotel on the seafront of Brighton. We stayed here for two nights recently and we enjoyed our stay very much. On booking in we were offered an upgrade to a sea view room for an extra £10 a night which we decided to take and glad we did because it was a lovely bright room which had a lovely view. It was also lovely and clean with plenty of room, tea and coffee facilities and a nice en-suite bathroom. The only downside to it was the shower, this was quite harsh as the water came out of the shower head really fast and couldn't be altered so no good for washing hair. Apart from this it was a lovely stay, the bed was really comfy and the breakfast was yummy! (the breakfast area was a bit too hot though) All in all great and would stay again and recommend.
Hotel car park used at £15 a night which is good value for Brighton!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. The seaview room have great views and it was great you took advantage of our offer. I do hope you will come back to the hotel in the furture.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Spent two nights at The King's Hotel. Friendly reception staff, and very clean reception area. The lift I only made one trip in as by the time I got the 5th floor and exited it, the wires made the whipping sound as if they were about to break. Interior of the lift was all dented on the door like someone wanting to escape quickly.
The areas located when going up and own the stairs do not smell very clean at all. Carpet is old and wood work is all scuffed and scratched.
The room was nice but yet again carpets could do with being replaced and furniture was all old cheap wood that was heavily scratched. beautiful sea front view of the old West Pier.The bathroom was immaculate!!
Wifi is non-existent on the 5th floor, both myself and my friend could not even get a signal, very intermittent, it was a case of having to find a sweet spot, put one arm against the wall and stand on one leg, only got about 1 to 2 bars signal that did nothing.
Very close to nice places to eat and lots of shops.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. The hotel has refurbished most of the bedrooms and will be loking at corridors on our next phase. The lift doors have been damaged with suitcases going in and out however I cn assure you it is save and has an inspection every six months.

I hope you enjoyed your stay and will visit the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The Kings Hotel made our stay in Brighton a fantastic and memorable experience. Every member of staff at the Hotel were very professional and friendly including the reception staff including Idoya, Emelly and vanessa along with all the breakfast and house keepin staff who are all great ambassadors for the Hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and offered superb sea views from Brighton Pier to Hove Bay. bathroom was again clean and spotlessly clean and very relaxing at the end of a long day exploring the Lanes in center of town. Due to the great experience staying at The Kings Hotel, we have already booked another stay for 5 nights in March. Thoroughly recommended!"

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are superb
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you enjoyed the facilities and the staff were alll friendly and professional. I look forward to you returning in March for another break.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

The outside of the hotel is lovely and the reception areas, but the staff on reception are not friendly at all, didn't make me feel comfortable although the staff on breakfast are so lovely and polite but the breakfast was very standard. When we first arrived we where given our room card and when we opened the door there was people in the room! So we had to go and get another card for another room so straight away I did not feel safe. We had a double standard room that was awful and very old fashioned and small so we went and asked for an upgrade which was an extra £10 a night which I thought was great but then the sea view room was lovely for the views but more or less the same as before just bigger and the flooring of the more modern bathroom was like a public toilets floor and the carpets where sticky and unclean. Me and my partner were very disappointed with how much we paid for two nights in a very poor standard hotel and very poor service from the receptionists. Perfect location so it was a big shame. I will never be staying again and having read a lot of the reviews it looks like the manager isn't bothered about changing anything. Everything just needs redecorating and a good clean as the building it's self is lovely!

• Stayed: January 2014

I was disappointed to read your review and that your felt the hotel was not value for money. We do keep our rates below our competitors and I will be discussing your comments with the staff. Unfortunately there has been no adverse comments on our logg on your departure so to undstand who was on reception and what room you were in is difficult. Investment is made in the property each year and we have now almost completed the bedroom and bathroom refurbishment. Changes are made when funds are avaiable to upgrade areas of the hotel.
Once again I aplogise we did not meet you expectations and I am disappointed you will not be returning to the hotel.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Came to Brighton at the worst possible time (the major storm of 2013), and arrived past midnight. The journey from the station to Kings hotel would have been reasonable if it wasn't for the heavy winds and rain! However, we arrived in about 30 mins, very grateful that the reception is open 24/7 and we were checked in really quickly.

The design of the building makes it difficult if you have special needs - even though there is an elevator, there are split levels on each floor. We struggled a bit to get to the room with our luggage. The room was small, but comfortable, with TV, hair dryer, wifi, biscuits and tea/coffee making facilities available for free. The bathroom was my favourite part! Lovely white subway tiles, fluffy towels and nice toiletry.

Location near the west pier would have been really nice if there wasn't a storm in town.. Very close to some nice Asian restaurants and Sainsbury's/Waitrose and walking distance to the city center and Brighton Pier (10 - 15 mins). The downside was that no buses stop on the street along the hotel, so you have to walk up a hill to the bus stop in town (again, would have been much more manageable if it wasn't for the insane winds at the time).

We did not have breakfast there given that including breakfast added a fair bit to the room price, and there are nice breakfast spots in Brighton (eg, Bills, near the station).

One downside to the stay was that the fire alarm (falsely) rang at about 11.30pm one night, right as we were getting into bed. Good to know that the alarm works, but it was a pain going down all those stairs (we were on the third floor) in a hurry only to find out there was no fire!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. the hotel is converted from a series of town houses and this is the reason for the split floor etc. The weather has not been great and some of the storms have been very bad. It was great to hear that you had a great welcome and you enjoyed your stay. Breakfast is only £5.00 if booked in advance. Sorry the fire alarm went off laste evening however it is there for everyones safety.
I do hope you will return to the hotel in the future.