“Sad, worn hotel saved only by friendly, efficient staff.”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Real letdown considering the way the description of the hotel read online. The position was excellent but lack of parking "unless first in" meant a £40 bill at the end of our stay!
Staying on the 3rd floor was almost too much for the decrepit lift and the general condition of all the floors, especially the carpets showed how little is being spent on these important details.
In the tiny room, the furniture is dated and shabby; there is no air conditioning!
One redeeming factor is the bathroom which has been newly fitted out with quality tapware, tiles etc. the money ran out on the floor which in several places is lumpy, uneven and squeaky.
The staff are lovely but it must be trying working in such an unloved and old fashioned environment!

Room Tip: If they try to put you in a mouse hole, ask to see another room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Iain L, General Manager at Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is an old building which does have some uneven floor however we look to offer a clean, pleasant environment with friendly staff which I believe we do. Our location does not allow us to have our own car park and we rent spaces on behalf of our guests from the adjacent apartments. If you wish to take advantage of these spaces we charge £15 per night to cover our costs. It is not a requirement of a three star hotel to provide air conditioning and as parts of the building are listed we would not obtain planning consent.

Once again I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Iain Lindsay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,672)

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Checked in quickly rooms looked clean my friend happened to notice one of the mattresses had stains she contacted reception and in there favour they changed us straight away to a large suite and apologised. the rest of the hotel is a bit tired in places but overall clean and pleasant came in at 3 am and staff happily made us drinks and delicious cheese toastie s with nacho s just what was needed breakfast was really tasty loved the scrambled eggs , location was good nice stroll along sea front into town so yes I think I'd stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lynz36

Thank you for your review and I was pleased you had a pleasant stay and enjoy that early morning snack. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night whilst traveling in the UK. I was offered an upgrade which I think I am glad I took. I appreciated having a big bed and plenty of space in the room. The building itself is quite old, with squeaky floors, windows that barely open and no fans, so it was incredibly hot. When booking I had requested parking, but on arrival when I mentioned parking, the girl behind the counter appeared very annoyed with me and seemed reluctant to give me the last available space. Parking is very tight! I had a small car (ford focus) and it only just squeezed in. The best thing about this hotel is it's location. Right across the road from the beach. I spent my day outside happily.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for your constructive review. The windows are restricted which is a health and safety requirement however fans are available from reception as detailed in our room directory. The location is great however the location prevents us having car parking. We rent some space from the adjacent apartments which is on a first come first serve basis as we only have 12 spaces.

I do hope you will return again in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here overnight while in the area on business. It's ok. There's a bar with drinks. It's clean and very, very cheap. The rooms are just functional as a place to sleep but it's not luxurious, but then it's remarkably low cost! No complaints really just don't have high expectations if the place. Consider parking too as I was lucky (probably) to find a street Soave straight away.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tomasykes

I was please to read you review as a business guest. Parking is difficult all over the city and with our location on the seafront we do not have and adjacent land. We rent some space from the apartments next door however this is only 12 spaces and on a first come first serve basis. The hotel is a three star metro hotel which indicates we are not in the luxury market.

I hope the next time you are in town you will stay again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed for two nights over May Bank Holiday weekend. We paid for sea view rooms, and although expensive it was a birthday treat and we really enjoyed the sea view!

Not sure what everyone is complaining about as we had a lovely time!

We arrived very late and luckily there was one space left in the car park. It's expensive and adds to the bill, so I would recommend getting the train as cab fares are very reasonable. We investigated other car parks but the hotel was the cheapest place to park.

The hotel is in a perfect location if you want to be near central Brighton but not too close to the nightlife if you want to sleep at night! It was a 15-20min walk to the pier and The Lanes and shops.
We were on the 4th floor but there was still traffic noise that woke me up 7.30am but the sea view was worth missing the lay-in!

The room was massive, with tea and coffee facilities, adequate sized bathroom, although the show was rubbish and definately needs modernising. A mini-fridge would have been useful. The bed was lovely - size and comfort, as were the pillows & duvet.

The lift is slow and only accomodates 3 people, so you need to be patient unless you're taking the stairs.

Breakfast was amazing and very quick service. Don't order scrambled eggs as they're powdered. Everything else tasted amazing - even if it wasn't freshly made - and was quick so we could get out and explore Brighton. Help yourself to cereal and toast is great - if there was any room left after your cooked breakfast.

Staff were friendly and helpful enough to us throughout & even accomodated my fussy food choices at breakfast, so thank you!

The only annoyance was the creaky floor boards above us - every morning and every night it was loud creaking....oh & perhaps the TV should be on the side board - not directly blocking the main window of our seaview room!

The only reason I wouldn't come again is because it is very expensive for our budget, and now we have to save for a wedding as we got engaged on the beach in the sun!

Room Tip: From other reviews here, it's definately worth paying the extra for sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you had a perfect stay at the hotel and found the facilities and staff to your liking. Unfortunately parking is limited in the city and the 12 spaces we have are rented from the adjacent apartments. The location is great however does prevent us from having our own car park.

I look forward to your returning in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by a long queue and foreign lady. After 3 hours of travling I wanted to rest and relax. My husband went to park the car (not on their car park as it was full!) and I was made to wait in the drafty lobby until he returned to pay, upfront, for the room. When we finally got to our room it was tiny, cold and I didn't trust it was that clean either. As we slept in the night we were awoken by obnoxiously loud people next door, crashing, banging and screaming. Nothing was done about this noise so we just had to suffer it until they stopped. On top of everything else our room was ridiculously expensive and didn't even include breakfast! I will never come here again and advise others not to. AK

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Alex K
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel was my first stay all the way from Los Angeles, CA. Me and a good friend shared a double room. It was off season but still had a wonderful time and stay. Rooms were clean, bedding, bathrooms, and overall room was perfect. I'm not a nit pick about most things but I will say, the beds were a bit small. I'm 5'1 so for me to say that, we'll lets just say yeah they were small. Front desk was helpful on showing us around too. I would def com back!

Room Tip: A room on the first floor is ideal for heavy travelers. Tiny corridors and lots of stairs and passag...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends