“Over expensive, basis but clean”
Review of Kings Hotel

Kings Hotel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Over expensive, basis but clean”
Reviewed 27 October 2008

We had to stay in this hotel on Saturday as the Ramada Jarvis had overbooked, which at the time was annoying but they said they would pay the difference, this hotel was meant to be £149 a room so when we were moving we thought great as it was bound to be nice. We check in and we through to the lift and as we were moving further into the depst of the hotel alarm bells started ringing. We were on the third floor in a triple room!!! YUK yes ok it might be ok for someone but really £150 for that room I certainly would not of paid.
The room was clean to be fair but no pictures on the wall, peeling white bland emulsion, bathroom looked like something like a 1980's old peoples home and to be honest quite dangerous. I had a shower and the panelling was so high you really needed a step to get in and out.
The staff very nice but we had a problem checking out as they said we owed the £50 difference between what our room rate was at the Ramada and what theres was, this took a little time time to sort out as they called the wrong hotel at first, sorted but again it was hassle.
All in all the hotel was ok but I really would only pay about £60 max for the type of accomodation offered perhaps the room could do with a lick of paint NOT PLAIN WHITE as this reminded me of being in some institute.

I don't know why Brighton is so expensive you can stay in London cheaper

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Hebrew first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Urgently needed a hotel in Brighton for one night due to family circumstances and so walked into the hotel on the off chance. I was delighted with the service, standards and the room. The price wasn’t bad either. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
Reviewed 25 September 2008

I booked this hotel through a website so had quoted my credit card details. However I paid cash on arrival( to save me carrying cash around as I was a sole traveller in Brighton to attend a wedding) but was most put out to have to either
1. pay a further 50 stg cash up front to be refunded on departure once my room was checked
or
2. SIGN a credit card voucher.!!!

I am over 50 and not the likely guest to be robbing items and the owner of my own B & B for over 12 years but this made no differnce - rules are rules??
My price for single for 3 nights was 205 stg and this was for a very small single on the top floor (AVOID - AS THIS IS A STRUCTURE ADDED ON TO THE HOTEL - or so photos in reception seem to indicate - SO I COULD HEAR THE MAN NEXT DOOR SNORING AND THE DAMN PIDGEONS ON THE ROOF WERE COOING FROM 7.30am!) Wardrobe was one of those steel frames standing beside the bed which by the way was very comfortable. En suite OK just "dated" and small. In comparison to what my neighbouring B & B's and I offer, I would consider the breakfast well overpriced at over 10 stg (dreadful tasting saugages and dried up tomato - rest OK) but there was a wonderful place directly accross on seafront almost under the road with fab breakfasts for far less. One last thing, on arrival there was a sign outside advertising room for 49 euro stg but when I enquired about this, that price increased to 120 STG as the weekend progressed! Going on previous reviews, previous guests complain the front of the hotel seems to be very noisy - well my room to the back (awful view!) but it did NOT have any "late night revellers" noise even though there was a wedding in the hotel (not the wedding I was attending) on one of the nights I stayed but I could have shot those damn pidgeons!

• Liked — Location was near my friends and between shopping area and sea
  • Disliked — pidgeons cooing from 7.30 on the roof directly above my bedroom when I wanted to sleep on
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Botanicview

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2008

Stayed for two nights with my partner in a pavillion double. It was a bargain at £85.00 for two nights (for both of us!)
The room was clean, bathroom spotless and bed comfy. Tea and coffee tray and flat screen TV with a few random SKY channels.

I was a bit worried about staying there after reading the reviews on here! But it was fine. Good location and friendly staff. My only gripe was the noise! The slamming doors and walls of paper! So don't expect a lie in!

All in all a good deal! If you want the grand, stay there!!

• Liked — The price and location
  • Disliked — The noise!
1 Thank supersammy
York
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Right on the seafront close to the old pier this hotel has great views. We unfortunately did not have a sea facing room as the hotel was busy with a wedding. The room was fairly basic but had everything you need and a fairly large bathroom. The reception/bar/restaurant area is nicely decorated and the breakfast (included in room rate) was very good with lots of choice.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Small double bed
1 Thank SuziPlum
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Do not be tempted to stay here as you will just be terribly dissappointed. I am not a fuss pot but we paid £175 per night for a 2 night stay at the beginning of August and were very shocked by the quality of the accommodation.

Upon arriving in our room the toilet failed to flush and there was a large grubby crack in the wash basin. There was a large wet greasy spill on the sofa and a trickle of blood down the side of the bath panel. In fairness the hotel moved us to another room without hesitation.

In the new room the shower gel dispenser was off the wall in the bathroom, the shower fittings badly cracked and a very strong smell of mildew as a result of thick black mould all around the bath and mildew on the shower curtain, The bulb was out in the bathroom mirror and the floor was filthy.

Back in the bedroom the four poster was very unstable and not fixed properly in the top corners. When we came home late that night we discovered that the curtains would not meet in the middle by about 6 inches. This was a nightmare as a flood light illuminating the facade of the hotel shone in all night, even though I had tried to wedge the curtains shut with an armchair. The following morning I politely asked reception to sort out the cutains for me but when we returned at night nothing had been done.

I expressed my concerns at check out but was just advised to complete the customer service survey. I wrote to their Head Office and have received a letter to say that they will look at the issues I raised and they did include a £20 M & S voucher.

On the same dates our friends stayed at the new MY Hotel in Brighton, they paid exactly the same room rate as we had, we had a drink with them and checked out their room. It was excellent and a much better spend of £175 per night.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 2 September 2008

firstly if you enjoy a night sleep this aint a good place to go. When you first walk in the room smelt like a toilet hadnt been flushed for a while... Then to top that at nighttime it was windy and rainy outside but sweating hot inside ok i understand it was muggy so i opened the windows...big mistake the constant banging from the wind on the front door, the bath panel, even the draws of the 2.50 table thats inside your room all consitutied to just one hours sleep. My Partner did manage to sleep( thanks Rose Wine!) and shes woken up today complaining of aching and hurting i belive they brought the mattress from Lidls. Every little move from upstairs and next door you could hear the creaking oh and the Hawks that are seagulls and traffic noise didnt help the situation either. My advice is stump up a extra 20-30 quid and pop upthe holiday inn. im so thankfull i only give 60 quid of my hard earned and nopt 150 like some other people have. The resturant was shut for refrubishment later 3 hours later in the bar i find out the chef had a bad back that why its shut... Personally i dont belive the hotel has a car park and you have to use the NCP 25 quid that cost us thats brillaint ah!!! do yourself a favour read this and dont go

• Liked — lol is that a joke?
  • Disliked — lol another good one you should be in stand up
1 Thank HappyHolidays77