“Not as bad as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Preston Park Hotel

Preston Park Hotel
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Not as bad as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

41 of 43 - usually a big no when searching for accommodation. Arrived very late in the area and very limited availability. Booked hotel due to need and then read some reviews - didn't look forward to what we may have found on arrival! Pleasantly surprised - room very clean and well presented, hotel generally well presented, staff polite, location pretty good. Did not have breakfast due to early start. Only negative - four star price for three star rating.
Would stay again :-)

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank DaveyGriff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Borough Green, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed for one night and would not go back. First impressions were of a run down 2 star hotel. Windows were all steamed up, carpets in reception and corridors becoming threadbear. I checked in quickly as I was attending an event a few mile away. I paid no attention to the amount I was being charged which was a great mistake because next morning I noticed that I, was overcharged by £50. My fault I know so I'll take it on the chin. The hotel corridores are a rabbit warren of winding staircases which would be a nightmare in the event of a fire. Speaking of which, the fire alarm went off during breakfast and the waiting staff just looked at each other obviously unaware of the correct action. Rooms were clean but dated, there had oviously been a lick of paint recently but the beds were small, old and very uncomfortable. Bathroom was clean but most was evident in corners floor tiles were cracked, there was a shabby old shower curtain, I had to hold the shower during use as it would not stay in the required place and water temperature and pressure fluctuated badly. The room was extremely hot with no ventilation. Neither of us slepped a wink. It would have been more comfortable in the car. Breakfast was an experience. There was no welcome from the three waiting staff. I think they were trying to work out what language to use. We had to work out for ourselves what system was in use. Fruit option was tinned, croissants had seen better days, tea and coffee was awful and the cooked breakfast was poor. Sachets of condiments and sugar bought from a well known wholesaler are what I would expect to see in a transport café, not at a £141 per night hotel. The standard of the food was of similar standard. Overall this place is poor. We could have stayed cheaper in a B&B and got far better conditions. Even in Brighton My wife says that the place looked like an 80's static caravan except that the caravan would have been more comfortable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! cannot recommend this place
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve W

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Booked 17th july 2013 for 2 nights checked in okay as going up the stairs to our room on upper floor noticed the ceiling tiles were damaged and some had water marks and smelt of damp. Room was quite big booked a double got a triple room. Room did need updating and a good clean cobwebs on ceiling and windows needed up dating .plugs in room not all worked had to move tele plug to different socket bathroom ceiling started to have mould on as the bathroom window didn't open and had no extractor fan bath was very narrow and you got wrapped up in the two shower curtains which needed a good clean. Shower head was dirty and started to turn orange reported this to reception on day of leaving saturday and told to phone up on monday as no manager was available .good location as only a bus ride into brighton and plenty of parking available didn't hear no noise from other guests but you can hear the traffic with windows open from the back of hotel . Would i go back to brighton yes but not to this hotel .

• Stayed July 2013
Zug, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Where to start, was charged 110 per night despite booking in January they advertise out from rooms from 49. As a previous reviewer stated it looks like Fawlty Towers from the out side, having arrived at 12.30ish we were told our rooms would not be available until 3pm and breakfast WAS included (see later). So we went for lunch. We were at a family function so had no choice really to stay here. Upon arrival at our room I was underwhelmed, the decor is early 1970s at best and definitely tired and need of major upgrade. There is no aircon or fan on the hottest day of the year, upon opening the windows the noise from the traffic was unbearable. The bed has blankets (rough also) and sheets and no choice pillows were poor also???? It was like a a boardinghouse from childhood holidays in the 70s. So definitely not worth the money. The bathroom was also tired, shower was crappy and I hate material shower curtains so unhygienic. Carpets were also tired and dated. Following morning sitting at breakfast we were then told it was NOT included by the waitress. I went to reception to be told by the same woman who told me it was included, it was now not included, but she would do me a special price of 5 per head (normally 10) as we were half way through I couldn't really object. Don't forget they're charging 110 already. We stayed 2 nights, two very uncomfortable nights, too hot, no aircon, both windows open but the noise from passing traffic was incessant (its on the main road into Brighton). On checkout they decided not to charge me for breakfast, yay!. I have stayed many times in Brighton and love the place, but this was and is by far the worst hotel I've stayed in. You would do better to save the money and book into one of the cheaper chains at least you don't get ripped off and you get what you pay for. Avoid

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jc30168
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Where to start? Well the room was booked two months in advance and still cost £110 a night. The room was pretty small and shabby. They decided to give us the room above the main entrance, so had the noise from the smokers enclosure outside. The window handle was hanging off, the bathroom shower wasn't very powerful and the toilet just about flushed.

Apart from that - perfect!!!

Would definitely not stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Saz36
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I needed to have 2 nights in Brighton area, but struggled to find anywhere else at short notice within our company budget, hence me booking here, depite the mediocre reviews.

Those reviews were right, this hotel isnt much at all. The room I got was small, dated and being at the front of the building, fairly noisy from traffic.

The food is pretty poor and while not expensive had obviously been zapped in the microwave and served up. the so called "menu" only had about 8 choices and the "specials" were not available.

The hotel advertises wi fi in the rooms. This is only a part truth. There is wifi in SOME rooms. You get 15 minutes free, but then have to pay £5 for 24 hours access. This is shocking, as most chains now offer wifi free. The signal strength is weak too.

Breakfast was hit and miss. The continental option has poor quality croissants, cereal and toast, while my order for a full english on the second day was misinterpreted to bacon and poached egg

The bar lacks a decent beer. The Guinness is very poor and the lager not much better.

On the plus side, there is free onsite parking

Would i return? Nope

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sowie
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed here coz there was nowhere else as it was late evening when we arrived,the room was clean but very dated the bed was really hard and the bathroom reminded me of a stay in hospital very bare and basic.. We advised on checking in that it would be busy in the dining room at breakfast due to a small conference at the hotel and were told to come at 9am for breakfast when it would be quieter which we did,when we went to the dining room there was nowhere to sit so we waited in reception till a table was vacant, when we finally got to sit down for breakfast we decided to skip on the cereal and just have the full English which didn't take long to arrive but when it did the bacon was nearly raw, we asked for toast which arrived without butter the waitress didn't speak very good English and didn't understand what we wanted when we asked for some. We were lucky with our breakfast another couple waited 40 mins for their cereal bowls to be removed and order the cooked part of their full English as was the same with another table I logged on to trip advisor whilst at the table and to my amusement found all the reviews wishi had looked before checking in lol. Would deffo recommend giving this place a wide berth not a nice place,bad service and expensive

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple