Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
  • Restaurant
Hotel Una(Brighton)
  • Breakfast included
1,959 results
All reviewssea frontbrighton seafrontboth morningsvery pleasant staypublic areascomfy beda sea view roomweekend breakcooked breakfastfull englishpierstaircase
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I was genuinely looking forward to staying at this hotel, following all the positive reviews. But what I'm about to describe is a less rosy picture.

First let's talk about the location. If you're arriving in Brighton by train, expect a long walk from the station. Get a cab if you have heavy luggage. I arrived at the hotel on Christmas Eve and given that my stay was over Christmas, my expectations of incredible service are always kept low. However I was greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff. Check-in was swift and efficient.

Upon entering my room, I was pleased to hear my request for a quiet room had been honoured. As well as being quiet, the room was a fair size for the type of room and generally well-maintained. The bathroom was clean and everything was in working order. The only thing I would say is that the towels, although fresh, were perhaps a little elderly with more of a greyish white than a bright white you'd expect.

Then there was the matter of the bed. I pulled back the sheet and unfortunately did spot some small hairs and spots of black grime. It was only a small amount but shouldn't have been there at all. This was mentioned to reception the following morning. The bed was comfortable and the sleep quality was high. Upon returning to the room in the evening, for a second night, hairs were still spotted. It did look like the sheets had been changed so one wonders whether the bedding, like the towels, was old or perhaps not laundered thoroughly enough.

Breakfast each morning was something I paid extra for as it wasn't included in the room rate. By mentioning this to the hotel in advance, they were able to offer a special price. A full cooked breakfast is laid on and you can have as much or as little as you like. The restaurant has a sea view which is always nice. The cutlery looked old - as if it has been used by a million people prior and some of the crockery was not as clean as one would hope (although by no means filthy). The range and quality of food is really very acceptable. But then there was another hair incident on the second day with a hair being found in the sausages. I nearly took a photo to post on here. Hotel management should be thankful that, having been so repulsed, I didn't because any reader would think twice before eating there. Food hygiene is so important and whether it's making sure the dishes are washed up thoroughly or checking the food preparation areas are free from foreign objects, it's something which does need to be taken care of. If the hotel was a budget inn, one would make allowances, but laterooms.com and hotels.com claim this to be a four-star property so this shouldn't be happening.

At the end of my stay, check-out was just as efficient as my arrival and the bill was accurate. So what is very clear to me is that although the hotel needs to take a look at their laundry and restaurant cleanliness, it's staffed by people who are friendly, well-trained and know how to offer very good service. And that offers some level of a redeeming feature.

But would I stay there again? The jury is out. Their room rate is favourable and the cleanliness issues might just have been a blip over Christmas. Brighton offers plenty of hotel options so whether you stay here or somewhere else, finding a room won't be hard.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank pixel79
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Dear Pixel79

Firstly, thank you for your most constructive review and in particular your feedback on the level of service received from my team.

I would like to sincerely apologise for your frustrations experienced both in your room and at breakfast. Please be assured that I have taken direct action following the areas you highlighted.

I do hope that you will consider visiting us again when you are next in Brighton, and if I can be of any personal assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stumbled across an on line offer and got a room and breakfast for a very good price. Our experience was certainly worth double what we paid.

The hotel is situated majestically on the Sea Front in Brighton, close to the boundary with Hove, overlooking the English Channel.

Parking is to be had in an undrground carpark or just outside the hotel itself.
The welcome was warm, helpful and as we had turned up early, wonderfully accommodating. I had asked for a quiet room and was warned that it was some distance from reception. The room itself was the standard Mercure offering, with a little extra character in its layout. It certainly was quiet and a very good night's sleep ensued.

Breakfast was very good - the usual continetal buffet plus traditional cooked English breakfast options.

We will certainly go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

Dear HighgateExigeant

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that your visit was enjoyable and thank you for your kind comments regarding the service that you received.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and we look forward to extending you a warm welcome when you are next in Brighton.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

Stayed in this hotel for one night whilst visiting Brighton for one of the Artist Open Houses weekends. I booked one of the executive rooms on the first floor with a balcony overlooking the sea. I wasn't sure about the parking situation so called ahead to the hotel whilst en route. The staff member on reception couldn't have been more helpful, she explained the procedure and gave me directions which were easy to follow. Despite arriving before 12:00, we were greeted with a welcoming smile and checked in with utmost efficiency. The room was large, nicely decorated and comfortable. The only small criticism was that the room was very warm and despite turning off the radiator, it didn't seem to make any difference, also the doors onto the balcony were not double glazed and it was a little noisy. The next morning we had a very good breakfast and were checked out with the same speed and efficiency that we received on arrival, we were also kindly offered the use of the car park for the remainder of the day whilst we walked around the City. I have been visiting Brighton once or twice a year for the last three years and have always used the same hotel near the Station, however after this trip I think I'll be switching to the Mercure in the future.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ian K
Matthew-Huddart, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Dear Ian K

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that your visit was enjoyable and thank you for your kind comments.

I was pleased to read your feedback regarding the service received from the Front Desk team, and that you found your Executive room comfortable.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

My Fiance and I visited Mercure through a recommendation. Really lovely lobby area with helpful and welcoming staff. The rooms are a good size, very clean with a decent sized bathroom. The breakfast however was my favourite part of the stay, with a great selection including a full breakfast, pastries and fresh fruit and yogurts - just what you need after a night out in Brighton!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Sophie N

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I’m pleased to note that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed our breakfast before you departed.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Brighton Seafront in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed here on the 26th of November, I arrived at the Hotel and was pleasantly surprised with the lobby area it boasts chandeliers and a terrific staircase, she looks like she was quite grand in her day but sadly it does need some TLC in parts. BUT It has the most friendly and knowledgeable staff I have met in a English Hotel in a long time, the receptionist was smiling and eager to help and happy in her work, the, I assume general manager Stuart was also was very pleasant and we had a good chat with him in the bar area about the hotel history whilst having a good cup of coffee.

The room was huge and had high ceilings and with a superb sea view (I paid extra for this to empress the wife). The room was very clean as well as all areas of the hotel; the gents down stairs are a little shoddy and could do with modernisation.

In the evening however I saw a very unpleasant situation, the reception team where being shouted at by a very well dressed guest I assume he was part of the large dinner event being held that night and he was incredibly aggressive and abusive towards them, the lady behind reception was visible getting upset and her male colleague was also looking a little lost on what to do, the manager Stuart then appeared and somehow after being verbally abused and intimidated managed to calm the man down and get him to leave. How the hotel team kept their cool is unbelievable the manger had to raise his voice just to get heard, the man was getting very close to the manger and I feared he was going to assault him but I assume the manager saw this and moved out of his way and behind the desk.
Top credit to the hotel manager as he remained professional at all times and was just interested in protecting his staff which is admirable. The following morning I saw the manager in the car park and shook his hand and told him that I saw everything from the stairs if he needed a witness but he assured me that it looked worse than it was and that he had CCTV anyway. It did make it a very exciting night but I think this was a one off.

Breakfast was great with lots of choice and hot but the coffee was not pleasant, the staff again on Sunday morning where fresh and alert and very friendly.

In summary this is a hidden gem in Brighton the staffs are always present and make you feel really good I would almost say like friends and with a smile. But the hotel in places is a bit run down but nothing to bad just needs a little bit of refresh.
I will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Get a seaview they are beautiful and worth the extra
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear James S

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you review of the Hotel and thank you for your valued and constructive feedback.

We have a continual programme to improve the Hotel for all our customers and your specific comments have been duly noted.

Thank you for your kind sentiments regarding Stuart and the team on the whole.
Whilst the incident that you witnessed by highly unusual I was delighted to read that it was handled professionally.

Finally, thank you once again for your valued feedback and please do feel free to contact me directly when you next require accommodation in Brighton.