“A very nice hotel on seafront”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Myself and my bf stayed at this hotel for new years eve we booked the James Bond package which included dinner,dance,bed and breakfast in a sea view room at £145 per person which was a bargain compared to other hotels!
We arrived at 3pm the only downside to this hotel is the parking they charge £15 per night but the car park is very very small can only fit about 20cars so we ended up having to park at the NCP about 200yards we were told by the hotel it would cost about £12.50 for 24hrs infact cost us £25!!
The reception staff were very freindly the only critism I would say is they did not give any details about what tgime we should be ready for to start the evening I had to call down to reception later on that evening.
We arrived in our sea view room 209 which was lovely spacious,airy and well decorated and all the amenities we needed. The evening started at 7pm and had drinks on arrival and then a 5course meal then dance the only extra we had to pay was for drinks. At midnight there were fireworks on the seafront which we could see from our room.There was quite alot of noise from the room opposite us which woke us up quite early in the morning they did have children so obviously were up earlier than us.We ordered the continental breakfast in the morning at first on the room card it only gives options for cereal but i just put a note on there to bring some toast and croissants to which they did and was right on time 10am! They do not offer full english in the rooms that was the only downside as I know i would prefer to eat in the room so you dont have to get up as early especially after a night like nye! Check out was 2pm which was great I wish more hotels offered a late check out at no extra charge.All the staff were friendly and helpful at the hotel I will defiently be staying here again and recommending to friends.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear KC_TravelBerkshire

Thank you for taking the time to post the review of your stay and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the New Year’s Celebration with us.

I was sorry that there was confusion regarding the prices of parking outside the Hotel. As you state we do currently charge a highly competitive £15 per night, and I will ensure that my front office team are fully aware of the prices of the alternatives.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast and I am pleased to confirm that we are just about to include Full English breakfast served to the bedrooms!

Finally thank you for your kind comments regarding the service received. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Hotel Brighton for their New Years Eve Ball. We had the most fantastic time. The staff were superb and could not do enough for you. We arrived early expecting to wait some time for our room but were informed our room was ready immediately. The room was excellent, very clean, fabulous view and facilities, the bed was very comfy (room 311). The NYE ball was good fun and the food was of a very high standard. Once again the staff were extremely helpful. Breakfast was also very good. There were 6 adults (3 rooms) in our party and all 6 of us were very happy with the whole Mercure experience. We would all highly recomend this hotel and hope they have another NYE Ball in 2012!. Many thanks Mercure, Brighton! Mrs A. Regelous

1  Thank Amanda R

Dear AmandaR

We are taking bookings for 2012 already so please let us know if you’d like to return for this year’s theme of Black, White and Diamonds!

Happy New Year to you!

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Pretty disappointing and expected same standard Mercure but pretty awful. Run down and refurb. Staff not at all friendly, especially at reception. Will not be back for sure!!

• Stayed: January 2012
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Hotel.
I had just spotted that I failed to respond to this review so apologies for not acknowledging sooner.
Whilst we do have ongoing improvement plans for the Hotel we do work hard daily to provide the best possible service possible.
Hopefully the more recent feedback we have received will confirm this and perhaps you will be willing to try us again if you need to stay in Brighton.
If you do have requirements please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed 30 December 2011

The rate we paid for this room was okay but considering the difference we paid for this (a superior double) from what we would have paid for a standard double the room was disappointingly small, really only just the right side of pokey. The decor was in good nick and clearly quite new but really rather dated in style. Still that's just me. More than ample storage with, joy of joys, ample hangers, but in fact they might consider losing one or two of the storage units and so make way for a larger bed (this was a standard double...many hotels of this standard go for queen/kingsize especially in premium rooms).

The bathroom was fine, mostly sparkling but with a couple of small but perfectly formed patches of mould on the grouting. The shower was adequate but really only just a notch or two above gutless in delivery and the towels while large and clean had something of a worn sandpaper quality to them.

And I always hate to complain about the television because obviously I do not go away to watch the tv, but the choice of channels (particularly radio) was tiny. With Freeview etc pretty much universally available there doesn't seem to be much excuse for this.

Breakfast again was acceptable but nothing to write home about and my husband says the coffee was awful (don't ask me, coffee is coffee is coffee, but he seems to think there's a difference!).

There were some better than expected bits: daily replenishment of bottles of water (I have found the norm is one starter bottle on arrival) and certainly the receptionist who checked us out was exceptional and seemed genuinely to care about the fact that we weren't hugely impressed. She made the perfectly fair point that we could have said something on arrival and they would have moved us. Fair enuffski, and certainly our bad for not speaking up initially, but even after all these years I still have this naive expectation that we will be allocated the best available on arrival, not the worst they think they can get away with and will move us if we complain. Well we won't be making THAT mistake again!

So while I have nothing really bad to say about this hotel, and would probably not kick up against staying there again, we have come to expect a little bit of a wow factor from the Accor group which was a bit lacking here.

Room Tip: Check the room out before unpacking and speak up if you don't like it!
2  Thank elaine4648
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear Elaine4648

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at the Hotel.

I was sorry to learn that your bedroom allocated did not fully meet your expectations. Due to the age and layout of the Hotel all of our bedrooms do vary in terms of size and appointment and availability permitting we are always happy to offer alternatives to meet individual guest requirements.

I have noted your comments regarding the quality of the linen in your bathroom and will monitor this with our linen suppliers.

Thank you for all your positive comments regarding your stay and if you do have future accommodation requirements in Brighton please do not hesitate to contact me so I extend a personal welcome to you.

Reviewed 30 December 2011

Firstly there was a mix up between the sales team and the hotel which left us being mis sold the room we had booked. The staff immediately realised the confusion and gave us an upgrade to a fantastic room overlooking the sea. Throughout the stay many more examples of how professional and courteous the staff were could be chosen and we would recommend this hotel to anyone. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it was one of the best hotel experiences we've had.

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear Sam_cot

What a great review and I thank you for it! We are proud of our staff and service given and we are pleased to see they excelled again. Please accept my apologies for the initial confusion regarding the room you booked and I was pleased that my team were able to upgrade you as a result.

I do hope you use the hotel again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Hubby and I had always wanted to go to Brighton but never got round to booking anything, so this year we did. We stayed at the Mercure (Ramada) Brighton.
Lovely hotel, nice room if a little compact.
Great local people, really friendly, will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Dear Don032

Thank you so much for your continued support and review!

We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I was genuinely looking forward to staying at this hotel, following all the positive reviews. But what I'm about to describe is a less rosy picture.

First let's talk about the location. If you're arriving in Brighton by train, expect a long walk from the station. Get a cab if you have heavy luggage. I arrived at the hotel on Christmas Eve and given that my stay was over Christmas, my expectations of incredible service are always kept low. However I was greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff. Check-in was swift and efficient.

Upon entering my room, I was pleased to hear my request for a quiet room had been honoured. As well as being quiet, the room was a fair size for the type of room and generally well-maintained. The bathroom was clean and everything was in working order. The only thing I would say is that the towels, although fresh, were perhaps a little elderly with more of a greyish white than a bright white you'd expect.

Then there was the matter of the bed. I pulled back the sheet and unfortunately did spot some small hairs and spots of black grime. It was only a small amount but shouldn't have been there at all. This was mentioned to reception the following morning. The bed was comfortable and the sleep quality was high. Upon returning to the room in the evening, for a second night, hairs were still spotted. It did look like the sheets had been changed so one wonders whether the bedding, like the towels, was old or perhaps not laundered thoroughly enough.

Breakfast each morning was something I paid extra for as it wasn't included in the room rate. By mentioning this to the hotel in advance, they were able to offer a special price. A full cooked breakfast is laid on and you can have as much or as little as you like. The restaurant has a sea view which is always nice. The cutlery looked old - as if it has been used by a million people prior and some of the crockery was not as clean as one would hope (although by no means filthy). The range and quality of food is really very acceptable. But then there was another hair incident on the second day with a hair being found in the sausages. I nearly took a photo to post on here. Hotel management should be thankful that, having been so repulsed, I didn't because any reader would think twice before eating there. Food hygiene is so important and whether it's making sure the dishes are washed up thoroughly or checking the food preparation areas are free from foreign objects, it's something which does need to be taken care of. If the hotel was a budget inn, one would make allowances, but laterooms.com and hotels.com claim this to be a four-star property so this shouldn't be happening.

At the end of my stay, check-out was just as efficient as my arrival and the bill was accurate. So what is very clear to me is that although the hotel needs to take a look at their laundry and restaurant cleanliness, it's staffed by people who are friendly, well-trained and know how to offer very good service. And that offers some level of a redeeming feature.

But would I stay there again? The jury is out. Their room rate is favourable and the cleanliness issues might just have been a blip over Christmas. Brighton offers plenty of hotel options so whether you stay here or somewhere else, finding a room won't be hard.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank pixel79

Dear Pixel79

Firstly, thank you for your most constructive review and in particular your feedback on the level of service received from my team.

I would like to sincerely apologise for your frustrations experienced both in your room and at breakfast. Please be assured that I have taken direct action following the areas you highlighted.

I do hope that you will consider visiting us again when you are next in Brighton, and if I can be of any personal assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel.

Thank you once again.