“Worried”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 19 July 2012

OH dear ...I have been quite busy and have only now read the reviews. I have booked this hotel for this Friday 20th July for my friend, her daughter, me and my daughter, Not bothered about noise or pigeons just want parking, nice rooms & nice staff. let you know how we get..... on fingers crossed

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear CarolynS

I appreciate you chose to post a review before you had experienced the hotel and I am really keen to hear from you personally to discuss your experience.

Please feel free to call me or email me so we can have a chat about your stay.

Matt

Reviewed 18 July 2012

A room for 3, seems slightly strange configuration of 1 double and 1 single as I had assumed it would be 3 singles (a friend made the booking). However, there would not have been space for the 3 singles, the room is really only suitable for a double bed, the single was directly against the wall and there was very narrow space to walk around the beds to the bathroom.

A small desk, which doubled as the tea and coffee station. A wardrobe and space for suitcase in the hallway corridor. Bathroom was ok with quite a large shower (no bath), the door to the bathroom was very low so tall people would need to duck!

I did find the room very warm and no air con, the window only opened about 5 inches. The window overlooked a courtyard with a pile of something (rubbish?) covered by a blue tarpaulin.

The room rate we had was £189 which seems a lot when I compare to what you could get in London for that money.

n.b. I had friends in another room which was huge so be aware that rooms are very different.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear LondonerOutAndAbout
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay at the Hotel.
I was sorry that the configurations of our Triple rooms came as a surprise to you and I can confirm that all of these rooms feature a Double bed and Single bed.
As you point out our rooms do vary in terms of size with our Executive Sea view rooms generally much bigger compared to the Standard rooms.
The tarpaulin you refer to is covering a ‘Feature Dome’ which is one of the key Grade II listed elements of the hotel. We are pulling together plans with Heritage to agree refurbishment and/or replacement plans for this feature and to protect from further decline we have decided to cover this.
Demand for hotel accommodation in Brighton is very high at weekends and our rates are comparable with hotels throughout the City. We do however have some great early booking incentives when rooms are booked up in advance!
Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that we may see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were lucky enough to have an excellent seafront room with double windows. The sun even shone for a brief period so we were able to enjoy the view. No problem with noise, despite being beside an extraordinarily busy road complete with roadworks. Breakfast good; rest of food was decided by the conference committee I think. The vegetables for one evening meal were far too hard and the queue for the snack lunch (mostly rather unexciting sandwiches) was v long on the first day although this was remedied by the second day. This is a huge sprawling hotel and some of our conference group were what seemed miles away from the main part of the building. Odd that the rooms in the basement are called "summit" rooms, but accommodation and provision for our conference in the hotel was v good. Air conditioning in the ballroom was a bit overwhelming, though.

Room Tip: Try to get a seafront room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Alpujarra2
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post a review following your recent stay with us at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed a fantastic view from your Executive Sea view bedroom and that the sun made an appearance whilst you were here!
You are correct that the meal arrangements for the conference you attended where agreed in advance, however I have noted your feedback for future events. I was pleased that you did however feel that breakfast was good!
The Hotel is a bit of a ‘tardis’ with just under 120 bedroom spread over two buildings and a total of 6 floors. This said I was pleased that the facilities for you as a conference delegate were regarding as ‘good’ and hopefully the air conditioning in the ballroom didn’t detract too much from your involvement at the meetings.
Thank you once again and we do hope we might be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were going out with friends and it was our first night away since our little one was born. We were looking forward to a nice lay in. Oh dear. The room was pokey and the double bed was barely double. The worst thing though was how hot our room on the fourth floor was. The heating wasn't on and it was hardly hot outside but with no air con the room was stiffling even with the windows open. We struggled to sleep as it was unbearable. The only saving grace for this hotel was that the English Breakfast was nice. If we had a choice again, we wouldn't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 400.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lee C

Dear LeeC

I was saddened to read that your break away from ‘your little one’ was not as enjoyable as you had intended it to be.
We do appreciate that at times the temperature in some of our rooms can increase and have provided fans to help with the circulation during these times. I am also sorry that we were not able to offer you an alternative room whilst you were staying with us and make you break away more special.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of breakfast and I am pleased at least your last experience of the Hotel was memorable.
Finally, if you do need to come back to Brighton again please do get in touch with us so we can make arrangements to ensure we fully meet you expectations upon your return.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two nights for a conference. The staff were helpful in spite of clearly being busy a lot of the time. My en-suite room was comfortable with a good bathroom (though the bath was a bit too snug and there was no bidet) and wi-fi access. However it was rather a long walk from the lift - the building is a bit of a rabbit warren, but after all it is an old building. I didn't get a sea view but that was not important to me. Having just returned from a holiday in Spain, I noted that there were no mini-bar, safe or air-conditioning, all of which are standard in equivalent Spanish hotels. But the real bad news was the food. Breakfast was fine, but lunch and dinner were monotonous and unimaginative, plainly cooked meat and two veg, the veg almost raw and everything smothered in bland gravy. What this hotel really needs to my mind is a good chef! By all means stay at this hotel but I would advise eating out.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear Antonia70London
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to note that you found your room comfortable for your stay whilst attending your conference in Brighton.
I was sorry that you did not enjoy the conference food at lunch and dinner and that we were not able to identify your dissatisfaction at the time. I can confirm that the menus for the group dinners were shared with the conference organisers in advance and the dishes such as Coq au Vin were selected with the aim to suit most tastes.
I should also like to confirm that the menus catering for 80+ persons do differ from our usual Brasserie offering and if you are coming back to Brighton I’m sure you’d be impressed with the quality and variety on the full a la carte menu.
Finally, I was pleased to read that you found the staff helpful during what was a very busy week for the Hotel.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Like others, I don't think it's a 4-star hotel but our stay was comfortable. The staff at the reception were friendly and helpful. For it's seafront location and decent accommodation, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear hitchhiker72
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us.
I was pleased to read that you were pleased with your accommodation and had a comfortable time here.
I can confirm that we have been formally assessed against the 4-star criteria and I am sorry if there were aspects of your stay that didn’t meet your expectations.
One of the key factors that differentiates 4-star hotels and is a key part of the assessment is the level of service provided. I was therefore delighted to read that you found the reception staff friendly and helpful.
You mention that you’d stay with us again so I do hope we can welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed for two nights while at nearby conference. Can't imagine how the star system is assessed. This hotel, although well situated on the seafront, is tired and shabby and rooms are poorly ventilated. Several colleagues had little sleep as the choice was between being too hot or having the window open and being kept awake by the noise of the seagulls..
Small bathroom. Colleagues who stayed at smaller independent places had much better value for money. Breakfasts ok but nothing special.
Staff all very helpful and friendly although at times could do with a few more on reception.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NickTheobald

Dear NickTheobold
Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us.
I was sorry to note from your review title that you did not feel that the hotel reflected the 4-star status and I can offer you assurances that we are independently assessed to this standard.
Whilst air-conditioning is not a requirement at this level we do appreciate that at times temperatures in some of our rooms can increase and have provided fans in each to help with this.
Sadly, there is little we can do about the sea gulls which are part of the seaside environment!
I accept that some of our bedrooms have ingenious bathroom layouts which originate from the creation of en-suite facilities and I am sorry if the layout did not meet your requirements.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the helpful and friendly service and I do hope that we may welcome you back if you are ever in Brighton in the future.