“Old and Tired Hotel”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Old and Tired Hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This place needs a facelift and a company that knows how to run a hotel. It is soooooo in need of a makeover. Come on, its 2012 not 1912. Agree re the rooms, far too hot. Floorboards creek, furniture old and tired, the shower curtain sticks to you. Staff seemed pleasant though

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank theshutterman
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear theshutterman
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.
I was sincerely disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations and it is clear from some recent reviews that the spell of warm weather we have enjoyed has left some individuals ‘hot & bothered’ which is really saddening with the hard work the team consistently put in to make guests stays as enjoyable as possible.
The Hotel has had a number of improvements in the last 7 years I have been here as General Manager, and whilst some feel that the creek of the floorboards reflect the character I do have a programme to tackle this on an ongoing basis!
We have a programme of ongoing improvements planned for the Hotel and we have recently refurbished the Brasserie Restaurant and I do hope that you will come back and see the gentle changes we are making for yourself sometime in the future.
I believe the team here take great pride in offering the best level of service and I thank you for your comments on the ‘pleasant’ nature of those encountered.
Thank you once again.
Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Have just returned from an overnight stay at the Mercure. Having read many of the reviews before we came, it is fair to say they are correct.

The hotel is acceptable for an overnight stay. The building is well-maintained from the outside, the lobby modern and our room was fairly well-appointed with modern furniture and a lovely sea view (that we requested before arrival). The room was very small, which did let it down.

As numerous others have mentioned, the lack of air conditioning in mid-August was completely unacceptable. The windows only open a crack (why can they not be replaced with modern frames that can open properly?) and a small old fan is provided which we could not have on the maximum setting as it was too noisy. The manager can go on about having an old building all he likes, but this is no excuse for not installing air conditioning. I am not sure the exact criteria to be a 4* hotel, but perhaps the Mercure can take a look at other budget hotel chains that at 3* offer bigger rooms with air conditioning (Premier Inn etc.).

Service was friendly and helpful throughout. We chose not to take breakfast in the hotel, feeling £10 was too expensive. We suggest going down the road (out the hotel turn left) to the cafe down the road which does good breakfasts.

In summary, probably one of the better hotels on the seafront, but don't expect luxury. Some modernisation is needed to bring this Brighton hotel up-to-date with other Accor hotels and to give guests the 4* experience they expect.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Brommers1

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to note that there were a number of elements of your stay that you were happy with and contrary to some other opinion felt the lobby was ‘modern’ and ‘well maintained’.

We acknowledge that due to the age of the hotel some rooms are bigger than others and where possible we do really try to allocate rooms that best suit the guest’s needs.

It is entirely true that the installation in this type of building is not an easy task (although not impossible) and we are looking what we can further do in the meantime to assist with room temperatures when it’s most warm outside. As any UK resident will agree we don’t have that many really hot days each year, although I do fully appreciate that on these days it can be less than comfortable in some rooms similar to many homes without cooling.
I was sorry that you did not try our extensive range at Breakfast here. On face value, clearly full service breakfast in a hotel is likely to be more expensive than a ‘café’ however the discounted price we offer does include a full range of juices, cereals, fruits, yoghurts, full English cooked breakfast as well as a range of speciality dishes such as Smoked Haddock & Eggs Benedict. Considering that the majority of the items are self served unlimited from the buffet I believe the selection offers good value.

It was reassuring to read your comments regarding the friendly and helpful service that we do aim to uphold at all times.

Thank you once again, and we do hope that we might welcome you back to the hotel sometime soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel looks very tired with shabby decor and worn carpets in the hallways, the room we were in was located at the rear of the hotel (264) and was one of about 30 that are set out in a 70's chalet style (Butlins!!!)
The room was very clean and big enough to be a double, there was only enough tea bags for one cup each?! The tv had a terrible picture, bathroom was ok with an good shower over the bath.
We stayed in August and the room was extremely hot during the night! The design of the rooms means that only a small window can be opened to allow cool air into them, there is a patio style door that can be opened however this cannot be left open as the communal balcony/ fire escape enables other guests to access your room.
The whole area outside the rooms is constantly lit during the night ( something to do with it being a fire escape I would think?) this in turn lights up your room, there are some blackout curtains that cover the whole window area and the only opening window providing cooler air!!
They do provide a desk style fan in your room but try sleeping with that running all night!
There is no free wifi in the rooms only wired which there is a charge for, free wifi is available in the lobby and bar area.
The hotel staff are helpfull and polite.
We only stayed here for one night and paid a half price offer of £54.00 room only, I would have been extremely angry if we had paid the full £109.00! This is more expensive than the Grand Hotel which in my opinion is far superior in many ways.
My company are thinking of staying here for five nights in February but I think I will advise them accordingly.
Needs air con , paint and carpets!!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear covrex
Thank you for detailed and constructive review after your recent stay with us.
I was saddened to read that you were not satisfied with your room allocated in the Mews building. This is generally a popular area of rooms particularly due to many of the rooms featuring patio doors allowing light into the room and each have been recently refurbished in a modern open plan design.
I fully understand your frustrations regarding the black-out curtains and the external illumination and you are correct that this is lit as a secondary means of escape in case of emergency. As I have responded to reviews previously, we are actively looking at ways to tackle the times when we have a hot spell of weather vs. the temperature in the guest bedrooms.
Thank you for highlighting the internet access arrangements. We currently offer wireless connectivity on a complimentary basis throughout the public areas and meeting rooms and the plans are still being reviewed to establish the best options to extend a service throughout the hotel.
I regularly visit other hotels in the City and monitor our pricing and offers accordingly and am confident that our regular fully flexible rates are competitive against similar properties.
Thank you for including the comment regarding the ‘helpfulness & polite’ team you encountered.
There are many aspects of guests stay that we are challenged to control and while we have the plans to make improvements at the hotel we do focus on giving the best possible service.
One thing I can guarantee is that the weather in February will not be as hot as this August and if you or your company representatives would like to discuss how we might work together and my specific planned improvements I would be delighted to have a conversation.
Thank you once again.
Best regards
bristol
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Being that i use this chain for a lot of bookings I make for clients at work I was very didappointed with the service that we recieved at this Mercure hotel- not what i expect from this sort of chain. The rooms were clean and tidy but far to hot as there was no air con and only a small noisey fan to try ad keep the room cool.

The thing that let the stay down was the customer service. When we called to arrange room service on the evening there was no one round to pick u the phone in reception meaning that we had to go down to order and auth payment. Kinda defeats the point of room service!. Also we were not offered any assistance with our luggage when checking in or out and it was very clear that there was too much luggage for 2 people to carry.

What was mostly disappointing and worrying was the fact that during our stay we had a fire alert on thge Sunday morning. all the alarms went off but it was not clear if this was a actual fire or drill or accident.None of the guest that were staying in the extention out the back where we were had a clue as no staff members came to the rooms and it was only when a fire marshall started shouting and being rude to people through a window at the main bit of the hotel that it was clear it was not a drill. When we got outside to the assembly point not one member of staff approached our party to check that we were ok and to tick off their clip board that we were safely out of the building and accounted for even though they were stood inches away from us. Thankfully on this occasion it was only a false alarm

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Beccystidds

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us although I was disappointed that we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay.

As I have responded a number of times previously about the temperature of rooms at this point I extend my apologies and allow readers to review my prior feedback!

It was however really saddening to read your comment regarding customer service and the answering of the telephone to place a room service order. I have already taken direct action with my Front Office Manager regarding this and can assure you that even though we get really busy at times, this is something that we usually manage well, and I’m sorry that the phone remained unanswered.

It was most frustrating to read of your disappointment regarding the evacuation on Sunday morning. In interests of safety the Hotel is fitted with a finely tuned fire detection system and fire evacuation details for guests are displayed in each bedroom. Until established and investigated, we treat any activation as ‘real’ and the sounders placed in every area of the hotel are the audible alert for all guests.

We do have Fire Marshalls that spring into action and follow trained procedures and I apologise if their direct feedback to evacuate was interpreted as impolite.

As a direct result of your feedback I can confirm that I have reiterated the importance of the fire controller communication with evacuated parties and in particular the use of our loud hailer to offer reassurances to all!

We do try really hard to ensure every guest has the best possible time with us and if you do need to come back to Brighton, please do feel free to get in touch with me so I can extend a welcome return to the Hotel.

Matthew

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 19 August 2012

If I can start by saying - thats not really a good thing. It's an old hotel, low budget, not worthy of Mercure above the door. Etap or F1 would be more apt. Staying in 70's extension out the back, and the rooms are crazy hot. No AC and a rickety old fan which made a constant, painful noise. If you need a place to crash, for around £50 per night, it's fine I suppose. Better option would be to knock it down and start again.

Room Tip: Avoid rear extension rooms at all cost.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear takemetohrb
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I was sincerely sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time here.
As you may be aware one of the key differentiators of the Mercure brand is that no two hotels across the world are alike and we do actively promote the heritage of the Hotel especially the Grade II listed original features in the main building.
Your room was located in the Mew’s part of the Hotel which was added in the mid 80’s and I was disappointed that you experienced an issue with the fan in your room and further sorry that we were unable to rectify this during your stay.
I appreciate that the past few days have seen unusually warm weather and the temperature in the rooms can increase, and after having some very hot nights at home I can appreciate how hot it can get without the luxury of air conditioning.
I appreciate that the noise from the fan can’t have helped and we are actively looking at ways we can do more to make temperatures more comfortable when we have a run of good weather in the summer months.
We are making ongoing improvements to the Hotel and I do hope that if you are coming back to Brighton you might be willing to try us again.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at the Mecure and must say that had a really good break in Brighton. we got a really good deal at just under £50 a night + £15 a night for car. the room was really small and very warm, but clean and modern. the only downside was being at the back so heard the early morning deliveries. it was about a 15 miniute walk to the pier and main part of the town, we had really good weather and enjoyed the walking. we did not have breakfast but there were lots of cafes where you could get a good breakfast for a great price. i would stay in the hotel agin if we were to return to Brighton.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear LisaNeil2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton. I am delighted to read you had a ‘really good break in Brighton’ and enjoyed your stay with us.
I was thrilled you found your stay to be good value for money and am only sorry that you were uncomfortable during the night due to the temperature of the room. Recent days have seen unusually warm weather and we have placed fans in each room to help with the circulation but I accept this is an ongoing problem during the summer months. I am sorry if you were uncomfortable during the night.
You mentioned you did not have the Breakfast during your stay with us. We offer competitive rates of £10 per person if pre booked where you can enjoy a wide selection of hot and cold food as well as special order items such as Eggs Benedict and Smoked Haddock. I am pleased you managed to find an alternative meal, but urge you to try our breakfast selection if you return to the Mercure in the future.
I am further pleased to read you would stay at the Mercure Brighton again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best Regards
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

The hotel is situated in a prime location with some great views of the seafront, however the hotel did not live up to the 4star rating. Our room was small but compact and okay for what we needed. The issue was the heat! We stayed in August when the temperature has only 25 degrees. The room had a tiny window and a patio door that lead out onto a shared balcony and courtyard, accessible by others in the hotel via the staircase. At night the room was unbearably hot and this meant that we could not sleep even with the old electric fan they provided. We did not feel comfortable leaving the patio door open as it was a communcal area. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was average. We have stayed in other hotels in Brighton before and would not return to this hotel again, a real shame as we had high hopes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Rebecca C
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay in Brighton. I am sincerely sorry you did not have a great experience with us.
It is highly disappointing when a guest goes away unhappy from their stay and I wish to apologise that this did not live up to your expectations. I understand you were uncomfortable during the night due to the increased temperature in your room. During these warm periods we supply every guest with an electric fan to assist with the air circulation and I am only sorry this did not create a better temperature for you. I can also understand the noise from the fan would bother you and we are currently looking in to better solutions to this matter as we appreciate this is an ongoing problem for our guests during the high temperatures we have experienced recently.
I am pleased to read you received our usual level of courteous and friendly service which I hope gave you a better feeling towards the Hotel prior to your departure.
Thank you again for your review.
Kind Regards