“Good location and friendly staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Good location and friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

I stayed here for one night in August. I was upgraded to a large seaview room with a very nice bathroom so the cost of £89 through a booking website including breakfast provided good value for money. I would not have been so impressed thoigh if I had paid over £200. Unfortunately the room had a connecting door to the next room which limited the soundproofing and the man in the next room had a very bad cough for most of the night-I was ready to take him some Corvonia and tissues!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the check in and check out process was very efficient. The breakfast was good and served in nice surroundings. The only problem was lunch in the bar. We ordered our food and after ten minutes we were told that one of the dishes was not available so re-orderd. After a further five minutes we were told that this was also unaavailable. When we finally found two meals that were available we had to wait over 20 minutes for the food to arrive-not a good start. The food was OK but nothing wonderful.
Overall though this is a good hotel in a relatively quiet location especially if you can find a cheap deal

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Fussy_9

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your one night stay with us at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.

I can’t help but notice your user name and think that your exactness helped you constructively review your experience!

We only have a small number of Executive Rooms which usually attract a premium supplement; however I was pleased that we were able to offer one of our Sea View rooms for your stay.

I was sorry that you experienced a delay in service in for your lunch. All feedback is shared with my management team who would like to join me in offering you their apologies.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the ‘good breakfast’ and the ‘very friendly staff’ you encountered.

We hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel sometime soon.

Kindest regards

Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here for two days in August 2012. We were disappointed from the minute that we walked through the back door of the carpark. The rabbit warran from the car park was dull and depressing with the most creakiest floorboards that I have ever encountered! The reception area is tired and looks like it needed a make over 20 years ago! The reception staff were friendly enough and sorted out a problem with our booking very quickly!! Our booking included breakfast but it di not show on her system. We were given a room in the buntlins style block at the back of the hotel. We were horrified when we entered into the room. The room was so small that hey had to build a wall in the middle of the room to accommodate the bed! The room was boiling hot, tired and the smallest most miserable room that I had ever seen. There was no way I was stopping there and called reception. I explained my concerns and was told that she would call me back in 20 minutes. 30 minutes later no call back, by this time I was searching for other hotels!! I called reception back and was told that they cold move us to a better room. The 2nd room was better than the first, still in the butlins style block. We decided to stay, however on reflection wished we hadn't, the room again was boiling hot and made sleeping difficult, the room again was tired and old. Breakfast was average, nothing special at all. I have stayed at Mecure Hotels before and been pleasantly surprised, however this hotel does not deserve the 4 stars that it advertises. The only l
Positive thing about this hotel is the location!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Stevieg3069
Dear Stevieg3069

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay with us.

I was sincerely sorry that you did not have an enjoyable time and that we were not able to do more for you over the two days you were with us.

I was pleased to read that you were welcomed in our usual manner by our ‘friendly reception’ team and that we were able to deal with your request for an alternative room. I’m sorry that there was a delay arranging and that we didn’t keep you updated on the progress of us juggling things around to assist you.

Whilst the rooms in the Mews part of the Hotel do vary in size they have all been refurbished in an identical contemporary open plan style and I’m also sorry if the décor failed to meet your expectations.

I agree that the route from the rear car park to the reception is somewhat quirky and while we can do little with the layout we are looking into ways of making this arrival experience more guest friendly.

As you will note from my personal responses to all guest feedback we do work hard to met all guest expectations and it is really disappointing that your title suggests a warning to guests particularly when there are other reviews which suggest that the Hotel ‘ticks all the boxes’

If you would like to speak to me personally regarding any future visits please contact me directly at the Hotel.

Best regards

Matthew

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Great hotel on the beach front with access to the Lanes of Brighton and numerous restaurants - try Havana - and with parking both in front of the hotel and some covered parking at the rear of the hotel. Our room was Ok, clean and functional. The bar is good with competent and friendly staff. I cannot comment about the food as at breakfast, there was a fire, and even tho' breakfast was included, we were not able to take advantage of it!

Front of house did manage to get us a reduction on our Hotel in Southampton the following day.

I'm prepared to give the hotel another chance.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach-facing room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Dear Jethrosdad,
I apologise for the delayed response.
Thank you for a review of your stay in August. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your break in Brighton however I was disappointed to read you were disturbed at breakfast due to the activation of our fire alarm system. Having investigated our records from August I can confirm that this was a false alarm.
I was reassured to see you received great service from the staff and that you found the bar tenders competent and friendly.
I was further pleased to see we were able to assist in ensuring a reduction in another hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best Regards
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Room was clean and staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel was lovely inside and was kept nicely even though the building was old it was well kept.

Everything was perfect apart from the room being too hot. This was not so much a problem as we were in a patio/mews room with a door that opens. I understand that the hotel is old and may not be able to implement air conditioning so that is not a complaint but just something for people to bear in mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if possible, although the Mews rooms do have french doors.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear victora s

Thank you for a refreshingly constructive review following your stay with us!

I was thrilled to read that we met your expectations and you had a ‘perfect’ stay.

We appreciate the age of the building and do as much as possible to look after it and it was good to note you felt the hotel was ‘well kept’

Thank you also for your observations regarding the cooling in the rooms.

We do hope that we will see you again soon for another great stay with us!

Kindest regards

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

It was a lovely sunny day and our 10th wedding anniversary. We paid £210 for a night in a classic double room in this hotel, which is a lot of money. What we got for this was a non-air conditioned stuffy room, a bathroom without an exhaust with a bath which was more a hole in the wall and the icing on the cake - no hot breakfast the next morning. The toaster was broken - which meant no toast and no fried eggs as a result of the gas supply being cut off following a fire alarm. Not exactly a romantic weekend or value for money, is it?? Very forgettable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VaniAk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed here for one night in April. The room was good - huge, comfortable bed. However, our tv did not work at all which is ridiculous seeing as we paid a fair amount for the room - luckily, we were out for dinner and drinks so it didn't matter so much. The breakfast was a bit Roadchef as well. I realise we probably paid for the seaview!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear littleturnip,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in April, I apologise for the delay in responding. I aim to personally respond to all pieces of feedback especially the on-line reviews and it would appear I missed this one – sorry!
I was pleased to see you found your room to be spacious and comfortable and that you were able to experience the fantastic sea views.
I will ensure equipment is thoroughly checked in the rooms to ensure problems like you experienced with the TV does not occur.
If guests face any issues with their rooms we hope they will contact reception so it can be rectified. I apologise we were not able to do more for you on this matter whilst you were here.
I hope to welcome you back to the Mercure in the future.
Best Regards
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel last Saturday and thought that it was going to be a 4 star hotel but would have to say that the rating isn't justified.

The hotel is a bit tired and does not match up to other 4 star hotels that I've stayed in previously.

There was a wedding on the day we arrived and so the hotel seemed to be overrun with wedding guests, some of which were staying the night. We did experience some problems with noisy occupants chatting loudly in the room next door but a quick call to the hotel reception managed to sort this out.

On a more positive note we had the buffet breakfast and would have to say that it was fairly nice - just what I needed the morning after a good night out.

We managed to secure a good deal on our rooms which made it a fair deal at the end of the day. If however we had of paid the advertised rate then I'd say we'd have been pretty disappointed. This trip was a little last minute and this hotel was the best we could find unless we wanted to pay around 4-5 times more.

If I were to stay in Brighton again, I would definitely look at the other four star hotels first.

Room Tip: Haggle - there is scope to negotiate on the advertised rates
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear MysteryShopper2012

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us although I was sorry to note that we did not fully meet your expectations.

We do regularly host weddings and events and aim to manage our service delivery for the comfort of all guests in the Hotel and I’m sorry if it was a bit busy on the Saturday of your visit!

I was really pleased to note that my Reception Manager quickly responded to your feedback during your stay which I hope highlights our dedication to service.

Thank you for your positive comments about breakfast and I was pleased that you were able to book on a special offer. We are officially assessed as a 4 star property and I’m confident that our rates are highly competitive – hopefully enough to tempt you to come back and try us again!

Best regards