“Brighton Weekend room number 110”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 1 March 2013

1  Thank poordab
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Reviewed 1 March 2013

I booked two nights for my wife as a Valentine's pressie and we had two good nights in the hotel in two different rooms so can both recommend the deluxe sea view rooms as well as the standard rooms the hotel offers.

Hotel ambience is first class with friendly staff happy to carry any request and we had a couple which were dealt with smiling faces and a caring attitude.

A mile walk down the seafront was perfect in cold, but dry weather so location wise it suited what we both wanted from a weekend away. Close enough to the hustle and bustle of the city centre but far enough away not to be to noisy from late night party-goers.

Breakfasts both mornings were excellent too, a hearty full English breakfast to start each day right but plenty of other options were on offer to those wanting something else.

I'm certain we'll back for another seaside visit in the near future.

Dear Michael R
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Valentines stay with us!
In particular I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed the ‘first class ambience’ whilst at the hotel and you felt the team cared for you/
For those coming for a special treat our sea view rooms are generally worth that little bit extra if you want to wake up with the beach in the morning.
Thank you also for your comments regarding the location and the ‘excellent breakfasts’ and I’m glad overall you had a ‘top’ weekend with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in February on a conference. My room was clean and spacious. The staff were very helpful and friendly. My iron did not work but when i rang reception they bought me a replacement straight away, and offered me an umberella when it was raining. Great location opposite the old pier, and about a 15-20 minute walk to the Lanes.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Stacey0512
Firstly, a belated Happy Birthday from the team and I here at Mercure Brighton Seafront!
It was great to read that you had a great celebration weekend with us and that you found the bed really comfortable!
We work hard here to give the best possible level of service and I was delighted that you felt you received this usual standard of friendly attention from the team.
I hope you enjoy your trip to London and that we might see you back at the Hotel soon.
Thank you once again.
Best regards

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night with my partner for my birthday. Hotel was of great location, all staff friendly had a sea view room on 4th floor view was beautiful. Room very clean and one of the most comfortable beds I had ever stayed in! We also had room service which was great was not disappointed one bit. If I ever come to Brighton again I will be booking this hotel. Have booked one of the Mercure hotel for our trip to London hope its just as good :-)

Dear Stacey0512
Thank you once again.
Best regards

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Booked a Saturday night here recently. The hotel looks impressive outside – one of the grand ones on the seafront. However once entering it feels like several refurbishments have removed a lot of character sadly.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, from front desk to those serving breakfast. Can't fault them.

The room was smallish, tidy and clean. The bathroom with bath and overhead shower looked a bit tired. The bed was very comfortable and the room nice and warm on what was a very cold weekend.

The location is a good, but enjoyable 10 minute walk along the seafront – ironically past some of the better hotels we've stayed in!

The breakfast was very good and seemed quite fresh and well presented. Unfortunately the morning we had ours we had to eat in the ballroom, which felt very strange as bright lighting, no windows and little atmosphere – I'm sure it's great for functions. I have since heard that breakfast is usually served in the restaurant facing the sea.

I've stayed at better hotels and guest houses in Brighton, but I wouldn't cross this off the list as the staff are good.

Room Tip: The best rooms are probably the sea facing ones
1  Thank Trev67
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Trev67

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

Firstly, thank you for your very kind words regarding the team here – we do all work hard to provide the best level of service possible and meet all our guest expectations.

As you may be aware the Hotel Building is Grade II listed with the façade remaining original and a number of particular features remaining inside the Hotel. Sadly, modernism in the 1960’s and 1970’s overtook historical interest although I still feel the hotel has abundant character throughout! The refurbishment work we have carried out in recent years has aimed to highlight as many of the remaining features as possible especially the stairways and feature cornices at reception.

It was good to read that you did find your room clean, the bed very comfortable and cosy warm for your stay over the weekend.

Thank you also for your positive comments regarding the food quality at breakfast. Based on previous customer feedback at times when it’s likely to be really busy at breakfast we aim to ensure that customers can be served as efficiently as possible and identify the most appropriate space – for this reason our ballroom is used (set with individual tables of course) as an alternative.

I’m pleased that overall you would still consider us as a choice of Hotel and please do feel free to let me know if you are thinking of coming back.

Hope you see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the 23rd February for one night and I felt like I had to write this to tell you guys NOT to bother wasting your hard earned money staying here!

I read all the other reviews and booked it anyway, wish I hadn't!

When we arrived the reception staff were friendly and the check in was very quick. This was the only pro.

The room was tiny for the price we paid, apparently it was a 'nicer' room so I would have hated to see the nasty rooms. There was not really space for two people to move around at the same time.

We then got woken up several times at 2-5am by other drunk rowdy guests slamming doors, taking showers, running down the corridor. If you are thinking of booking this hotel for a 'romantic' stay then don't, please book at Hotel Una instead.

I should also mention the hotel is a really really long walk from anything. Please book somewhere else!!

Dear ftill123

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I have already emailed you directly with my personal apologies and response to feedback however for the purposes of other reviewers I should like to respond to your on-line review.

It was pleasing to read that you received our usual friendly and warm welcome to the Hotel although clearly I am saddened by both the title of your review and that you were not entirely happy with your stay.

As I have previously responded our rooms do vary in size and outlook and we do aim to ensure that all rooms meet guest expectations.

It was also a bit disappointing that the behaviour of other guests interrupted your stay. As a hotel we do as much as possible to control the behaviour of all our guests and sometimes it is a matter of taking action as soon as we are made aware. Again I’m sorry that we couldn’t do a little more to stop this affecting your stay.

Finally, I believe the Hotel is ideally located just far enough away from what can be the very lively night time economy, and am sorry that you felt this was too far for you.

I do hope that both my personal responses with help you think about coming back to us again – please let me know and I’ll happy deal with your requirements personally.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I came here for a girls weekend trip to Brighton and unfortunately was disappointed.

Starting on a good note, the staff were all courteous, friendly and helpful and the location on the seafront was pretty good.

However, the room was pretty rubbish. Funnily enough we were number 101 so that said it all really. Wasn't expecting luxury but it was very tired and small, had to edge sideways around the bed to get around the room. View from window was a wall and fire escape but I guess sea views are for those in superior rooms. Small bathroom with no bath just shower (and there was a hair in shower when we arrived, always a bit icky). Bed was fairly comfy. TV flat screen but not many channels and no menu or guide to see what programmes were on. Tried to open window for some fresh air but they were painted shut.

The worst though was that the room was also very cold, a tiny sized radiator under the window which sometimes worked but sometimes when it was turned up to max it was cold or luke warm. We told reception and they did bring us a plug in heater which helped but was hoping they would have moved us into another room as it was a really cold weekend.

Breakfast was average, not a bad buffet selection but no fresh options. Also tea was not great, tasted like it was made from a water heater machine rather than freshly boiled water. A god cup of tea can make up for a lot of things and this let them down too unfortunately

So all in all big great, I've stayed at worse and staff were good, but I wish we'd stayed at a nice B&B for the same price

Dear genjokan

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the service received from the team here and the location of the Hotel.

Thank you also for taking the time to complete our satisfaction survey after you departed which I have personally responded to separately.

Clearly, you were disappointed with your room and I’m sorry that we couldn’t do that bit more to make your stay meet your expectations.

We do offer a variety of cooked items to order for breakfast and I’m sorry if this wasn’t brought to your attention.

Hopefully you might considering trying us again – if you do please let me know in the first instance by getting in touch with me at the Hotel.

In the meantime