“Stay someplace else...”

Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Oakville, Canada
“Stay someplace else...”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We were underwhelmed with our one night stay at the Mercure, Brighton. My husband who travels for business all over the world stated, "this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in." We stayed there March 17th. The weather, indeed, was horrid. However, the hotel was just as horrid. There was no hot water as one of the boilers had busted. The windows in our front room were so old that the wind noise coming through sounded almost equivalent to tropical storm force wind. It wasn't---but the noise was so loud all night long. The room was dated and tired. On non smoking floors, clearly people are smoking in their rooms as you can smell in in the hallways and it seeps into the other hotel rooms. Also, the walls are so very thin that if there is talking and partying of any sort going on, a good night sleep will be hard to achieve. Overall, the Mercure seemed to be a dated and neglected hotel yet, it can still be rather pricey. From what I could tell, it seems perhaps the boutique hotels may be the way to go in Brighton. If you appreciate a quality hotel this is not the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear kate p

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us.

I was really disappointed that you didn’t have a great experience with us and feel that you wouldn’t recommend us.

It was particularly blustery last weekend and it is with regret a ‘gust’ managed to ‘trip’ out one of our boilers which meant a delay in restoring Hot water. As soon as we realised this we called out an engineer who I understood managed to restore everything very quickly when he arrived at the Hotel.

I’d like to investigate a number of your other observations personally and would appreciate if you could make contact with me directly.

Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed on the 13th and 14th March, the check in was quick and efficient. Our room was at the rear of the hotel which was quite a walk from reception, the breakfasts each morning were good, with a nice selection. The hotel bar was a great place to unwind at the end of the day. Our room was clean and tidy and we had no complaints. I found all the staff pleasant and helpful. Walking into town only takes 5-10 minutes but the walk is lovely along the sea front.

Dear KevinBlackman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton.

I was pleased to see you were met with a ‘quick and efficient’ check in upon your arrival and further pleased you enjoyed the selection of food during your breakfast.

I am also thrilled you found your room to be clean and tidy and received our usual standard of friendly service from the staff. I will pass this on to the team as I am sure your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your valued review and I will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights on March 15-16th with my partner.
We were fortunate to find a free parking space in the front car park where the car remained for the duration (despite the £15 a night being the going rate in Brighton, we did feel that parking for guests should have been at a reduced rate).
We didn't get the sea view room we had requested (reception staff told us that they never give sea view rooms for stays of longer than one night - strange!), however after a quick check-in and lengthy walk to the rear of the hotel, we were pleased with our room which was spacious and comfortable (note to Matthew - could you call the rooms at the back of the hotel 'North Annex' or similar? We felt quite put out being told that we would find our room by following the 'rear car park' signs!).
The bed, although very soft, was huge (two single mattresses pushed together we discovered) and the room had all the amenities we would have wanted. The bathroom light switch was in a rather strange position which made it difficult to locate in the night.
Our only gripes relate to the noise from party revellers on both nights and the breakfast. The hotel seemed to be a popular choice for stag/hen groups and we certainly heard their presence on both nights, attempting to locate their rooms after a heavy night!
Breakfast was luke warm at best and we had to ask for fresh eggs to be cooked as the ones under the heat lamps had obviously been there some time. The bacon was of poor quality and again lost a lot of its texture by being heated under a lamp for some considerable time. There was no sign of scrambled egg or hash browns that were advertised on the menu, but I presume these would have been made available to us if requested.
Overall we found the hotel pleasant, charming and adequate for our needs. A bit more care and attention taken over breakfast and an extra star would have been awarded!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank AndyfromLeics
Dear AndyfromLeics

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us.

I read your review with an air of encouragement although I was saddened that we didn’t quite do enough to over deliver on your expectations.

I have responded regarding car parking rates a number of times to other reviews and at £15 per night currently, it still is very competitive!

Your observations regarding directions to the ‘Mews’ area of the Hotel has been noted and I’ll look into what we can do to change signage in the public areas leading to this.

You are correct that a number of items are served to order and I’m sorry that this wasn’t made aware to you at Breakfast.

We do hope you’ll give us an opportunity to be ‘pleasant & charming’ again on your next visit!

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Well for a work trip this did everything we needed. The bedroom was comfortable, the bar was quiet enough to work in, the conference facilities were spacious. It was a little bit of a walk into Brighton but it was nice to blow away the cobwebs after a days work. The main draw back is the limited car parking and the under ground car park is limited to 1.9meters

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Hethbum,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and made good use of our meeting facilities. I trust you were happy and comfortable during your stay.

I hope the size of our car park didn’t cause you too much inconvenience and that we were able to help you with your parking needs.

Thanks again for your review and I hope to welcome you back again soon

Surrey
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in room 159 at the rear of the hotel. The room was clean, the bathroom had a tub and was perfect for a short stay. The staff were friendly particularly on reception and in the bar.
However our "bargain break" included dinner on the first night, which frankly was a disappointment. The restaurant was hardly full but the service was so slow that some diners complained forcefully. When the food did eventually arrive it was almost inedible and not as described on the menu (boiled potatoes served instead of sauté) but by that stage we had given up!
Breakfasts were better with smiley staff, but the food lacked variety (poor bread choice, no cold meats or cheese).
Fortunately we paid a discounted rate and are therefore prepared to make allowances, but if we like some guests had paid the rack rate would have been far from happy.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are away from any traffic noise. There is no pool or Fitness centre that we a...
Dear bertiebuttons,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton.

I am pleased you were happy and comfortable in your room and found the staff in the bar and on reception friendly. I will ensure I pass on your comments to the team.

I was sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your evening restaurant experience and it was encouraging that you felt breakfast were ‘better’.

We strive to provide the highest level of quality and service regardless of rate paid and if you are thinking of coming back to Brighton please let me know so I can make arrangements for you.

Thanks again for your valued review and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kyneton, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We had a delightful stay, staff very friendly and service good. Meals very good. We had an upgrade to sea front room but as we were there during snowstorm unable to take in the views. Bed seemed a little soft and springy but we slept well.
Its a good 30 min walk from station but right on seafront and it does not take long to walk back into the centre of town. Google map is out with distance from station

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear BarryKeane301

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.

I was thrilled to read you had a ‘delightful stay’ with us and received our usual friendly service from the staff. I will ensure I pass on your comments to the team.

Sorry about the snow on this visit although it’s not often we get to see a white snow covered beach. Hopefully you’ll have some great weather if you choose to come back to see us again.

Thanks again for your warm review and I will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

What a great time we had here. The room we had had a fantastic sea view, was large and luxurious, and newly refurbished. It was very well appointed and tastefully decorated in a modern style. A comfortable sofa was great to settle down on in the evening whilst the ample space gave us room to settle our young baby in his travel cot. one of the most comfortable beds I had stayed in. Staff were courteous and polite, and had clearly been well trained. This was our second time at the hotel and thanks to the staff's excellent provision for us we will visit again. I would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea front room on the upper floors
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear CaptainBlackmore
Thank you for your most valued review of your recent stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.
I was delighted to read you had a ‘great time’ with us for your second stay!
A bit like the story of the 3 bears we do get varying feedback on the bed comfort, but reading your comments it sounds like it was ‘just perfect’ for you!
Thank you for your very kind words about the staff and I’m pleased this means you would recommend us to others!
We do hope we’ll see you again.