“Some good, some bad”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We booked this hotel for a 2 night break over the Bank Holiday weekend as we were visiting friends in the area. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was good but we won't be staying there again. The whole hotel is looking very jaded and in need of a facelift; the room we had was VERY small, with a dark and poky feeling; the bathroom was not much bigger than our downstairs cloakroom and the noise in the mornings was unnecessary (bottles from the bar being put out etc). It is advertised as a 4 star hotel but it's actually more like a 2 star. Yes, we booked it on a deal, but it was still very expensive for what we got - I feel sorry for anyone who has paid full price.

Room Tip: Ask to see what you're getting first so that you can avoid those down the side of the building o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Terry O,

Thank you for taking time to review the Hotel on Trip Advisor, its always a positive to receive feedback,as it acts as great encouragement for the team.

Naturally I was disappointed with parts of your feedback, however we are constantly making improvements to our Hotel and service, and I'm sure if you was to return the Hotel you would see the changes.

I thank you for your feedback, if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Peter Nye.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Do not book with this hotel!!!! Furthermore, do not book through lastminute.com! When booking the hotel we stated that it was for a first wedding anniversary - we were promised a 4 star hotel for a one night stay for the price you would expect to pay for that standard of hotel. On arrival there were cat faeces in the poorly maintained flower beds, the reception area looked tired and what you would expect from a 2 star hotel, the room (which had a note on the booking stating that it was for a wedding anniversary) was geared for those with limited mobility (cords hanging over the bed and dotted around the room), a fully modified bathroom and so on. Despite this, the room, the carpets, the bed linen and the mattress were filthy. An alternative room was offered, but the carpets, décor, linen and bathroom were filthy again and although we were promised a call back from reception, it never materialised and we were told that they had forgotten - not at all what you would expect from a 4 star hotel!!!

Room Tip: Do not book at the Mecure Brighton hotel if you are expecting a 4 star experience
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica L
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. As a team we appreciate all feedback regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

I will review your comments with the team and aim to resolve these issues immediately.

I thank you for your feedback, and if I can be of any further assistance to you please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful and checking in and out was very quick. Their burgers were definitely in my top 3 burgers I've ever had so trying them is a must because they're delicious. The rooms were a good size, however very stuffy with only one small window, although they do provide a fan but it takes a while to cool the room back down. The beds weren't very comfy and despite searching everywhere, I only managed to find one plug socket which the electric fan was already occupying. There's the option to have tea, green tea or coffee which was a nice touch before I went to bed and before getting out of the room in the morning. The shower is fairy weak, so if you have long and/or thick hair it may take longer to wash. The location of the hotel is very close to the beach so perfect for lounging days and also near to the pier, shops and clubs. Overall, it was a lovely hotel to stay in and I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Darcy B,

I have passed on your comments to the team who were very pleased with your feedback, especially Chris the Head Chef.

Once again many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for a relaxing break. Reception is welcoming took max 5 mins to check in. We were located on the first floor not a sea view room was comfortable but really hot with only 1 small window you could open there is a also a big patio door but no good to leave open when sleeping. Only down side the the room was the low ceiling in the bathroom and the low shower head I'm 5,9" and could just fit under but my husbands head touched the ceiling! We had breakfast which was ok not amazing but a good selection. Great location rooms were quiet at night. Check out smokeys just down the road lovely meat platters well recommended

• Stayed: August 2013
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear LadySG,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted with your feedback.

I will be passing on your comments to the team, to which I know it will give huge encouragement to them.

I thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon,

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This seems to be everything wrong with British hotels. My room (I think it was 406 but could be wrong) was miniscule with a tiny bed hardly any space and I could only find one plug! It was hot and stuffy and very noisy with other guests walking about outside. It was also over 100 pounds without breakfast thrown in. On the plus side it has secure parking for 15 pounds (which is quite good in Brighton!) and its right on the seafront. i wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: A colleague who also stayed here raised an eyebrow (politely) about being charged to pay 10 pounds f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear wilkinson78,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. It is always a positive to receive feedback regardless of nature, however of course I was disappointed to read your comments.

I will be discussing your feedback with the team, and will take neccessary action to drive improvements that you have mentioned in your review.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Yours

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have just spent the weekend with my partner at the Mercure Brighton. The staff were excellent and helpful at all times only let down by a tired and shabby 2/3* hotel masquerading as a 4*. Our room at best was a small single not a double. The bathroom was tiny with bad lighting and a mirror so far back it was impossible to use. The view was was wonderful. The barrier for the car park going up and down outside our window. Paper thin walls just made matters worse. This hotel needs a major makeover as it is very dilapidated and should not advertise it's self as a 4*.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 151
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear rodvickery,

I will be discussing your feedback wioth the team, and will take neccessary action to drive improvements that you have mentioned in your review.

Yours

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I booked this hotel mainly due to its proximity to the seaside and, believe me, there is absolutely nothing else going for it at all!

As soon as you walk into this hotel, you realise that the photos used by its management for adverts are grossly exaggerated. In fact, so much so that I am astounded they haven't got done for misrepresentation yet! The decor is awfully dated: it feels like you stepped into something straight out of the 60-70s. In addition to this, it doesn't feel particularly clean either.

The reception staff is really slow and it takes forever and a day to check in. To be fair to those who work there though, unfortunately, the reception area is so tiny that it couldn't possibly accommodate additional staff!

Once we checked in, I was hoping that my initial impressions were wrong and was willing to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt... until we got into our room! Firstly, everything is extremely cramped in the hotel building. When you get out of lifts, there are miscellaneous stairs that you still need to navigate with your luggage. The corridors are so narrow that by the time you get to your room, you will actually be sweating!

Our room was a pathetic affair that was sort of trapped behind a fire door that led to a small landing shared between us and another room opposite ours. The landing area barely had enough room for 2 people to stand, so if guests using both of those rooms were coming in or out with their families at the same time, you would literally have to be polite enough to agree that one of the families would get back into their room until the other one gets out! There is no way you would be able to do this simultaneously!

Once you get into your room, it's so small and stuffy that there is barely enough room for your bed and room furniture. You can hardly walk around there. Again, the decor is awful, dated and extremely depressing. We had green tiles and green ceiling in the bathroom! Really? Which planet are you on, Mercure management? There were so few towel rails in the bathroom that the towels had to be packed into plastic bags and dumped into the wardrobe because there was no other space to store them.

The cleaning standards could be better but, to be honest, by the time you get to notice that, everything else is so bad that you can no longer be bothered to even think about it.

In addition to the above, there is no airconditioning in the rooms, so during warm days such as the ones we have this summer, you will be boiling! And if you think that this doesn't matter because you aren't planning to spend a lot of time in the hotel, think again. It was so hot in our room that we literally couldn't sleep all night. The hotel does provide a pathetic fan, which is another ridiculous thing that probably also belongs in the 1970s, but do bear in mind that if you decide to use this fan, you will not be able to charge any of your mobile phones, iPads, your kids' games, Kindles or any other gadgets that the good people of today tend to use! Why? Because there is only 1 socket in the whole damn room and no extension cables!

Moving on from the nightmare that was our room, I need to mention that the breakfast provided by the hotel is a similarly appalling experience. There is not enough food there to cater for the number of people who come to breakfast. The catering staff move around at snail pace, therefore, food replenishment doesn't happen quickly enough. Food selection is an extremely limited affair that included toast, a tonne of baked beans, mushrooms, sausages, soggy bacon, eggs, some fruit, cereals and that's pretty much it. If you are used to a good continental as well as English breakfast, which is what you would normally get in a 4-star hotel, you can forget it.

All in all, this hotel is a horrific experience, where management obviously makes a conscious choice not to do anything because they can continue milking it based on the hotel's location alone. They should not be allowed to market this as a 4-star hotel.

If someone reading it thinks that you get what you pay for, think again, because this place isn't cheap either. It's not like we paid £40-50 a night and expect a star treatment!

The hotel's standard is at best a 2-star, if not 1. Its location is its only saving grace but, to be honest, I will not be staying there ever again despite the location. You will probably be better off staying somewhere a little bit further but having a better experience than this nightmare. Not recommended at all.

Room Tip: No tips; I do not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear insolitegirl,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel. We are always pleased to receive feedback as it enables to evaluate the Hotel and Services we offer.

I will pass on all your feedback to the team, to which will act as motivation in order to improve on some of the points you have raised.

If I can be of any further feedback please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Yours,