“Lovely Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here on a combined football and Christmas shopping trip. We managed to get this stay on a special offer, room only basis. Thought the breakfast prices were a little expensive so we did not partake.
We arrived at the hotel and was impressed with the style of the hotel, very grand with character right in the sea front. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived early and as our room was not ready the receptionist allowed us to leave our bags so we could go for lunch and return later.
Room was very nice and spacious and the bathroom was very classy with nice tiling. Toiletries were provided, that was a nice bonus, a slight fault was that the heated towel rail did not come on so it was a little chilly. The room was clean apart from finding a couple of sweets under the single bed. We were in the quiet side part of the hotel, which was good because during our stay we were told there were a couple of functions and we were not near the function rooms and didn't hear a thing from them.. We were only disturbed slightly by a couple of guests talking loud on the staircase late at night. The free wifi was good, although a little slow but it was adequate for us. The TV channels were a bit temperamental, kept freezing on several occasions. We thought the hotel and our room was very good. Just a suggestion for the hotel, perhaps install secondary double glazing with a sliding open and shut panel across the window. this would cut the draught and traffic noise..All and all a very good hotel would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the functions rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Dawnie_7160,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive such encouraging feedback.

I am glad that you found the hotel to be very good and suitable to all your needs.
I will be discussing your feedback with the team, to whom I know will be equally delighted with your feedback, and will serve as a motivator for them.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Peter Nye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Nice seafront room but due to the parties in the lobby the noise carrys though to the top floor. Buffet breakfast was very basic and not great quality. The reception staff never asked it we enjoyed our stay at check out. I think they know better to ask! We were to receive a welcome gift as part of our deal but we never received anything, not that we were too bothered. If you are looking for a place to put your head for the night.. I guess it's ok, but then I guess a premier inn would be better. Don't expect to be pampered.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MarkEBelfast
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear MarkEbelfast,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have noted your comments about the welcome gift and will be discussing it witht the relevant department head to ensure improvements.

Please do not hesistate to contact me should you have any queries.

Peter Nye

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

What is really stunning about this hotel is how on earth it keeps its FOUR stars! The rooms are pleasant but seriously overpriced. A £40 supplement for a sea view and £18 per day to park your car!
The hospitality tray and breakfasts are mediocre and the most disappointing of Amy four-star hotel we have visited. An empty bar.....of staff during the afternoon. We were eventually served by someone who had been cleaning the rooms earlier!
Brighton is a great place to visit, but choose a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul H
Dear Paul H,

We have been indenpendantly assesed and have been awarded the Four Star Status. Having said that upkeep and renovation is an ongoing process while we still try to maintain the original charm and character of the building.

Our sea view rooms are much larger than a classic sea view room along with a sea view as the tiltle suggests. These are sold seperatley via various avenues of the booking process and are more expensive than a classic room and hence an upgrade charge is levied should a guest wish to upgrade their stay.

Unfortunately Car Parking is somewhat of a premium here in brighton and being a city centre hotel we charge a very competitive price( like most city centre hotels these days) of £18 a night which is cheaper than anywhere else in brighton. We do have hotels within the company that offer free car parking but these are not city centre hotels and have ample spaces.

Should i be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Montpellier, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Pleasant, comfortable room. Very courteous staff, An excellent experience in a good central location with on site parking. A treat to eat breakfast at a table overlooking the beach and the sea. We have no adverse comments.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Robert H,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I just stayed here for two nights with my family for my sister's wedding. the staff were friendly and check in and out was fast and efficient. it's a bit of a rabbit warren, but we had two adjacent rooms with one set up as a triple. I was surprised and pleased to see that the third bed was a proper bed and not a sofa bed as described. we all slept very well. The bar and restaurant overlook the sea which is great - wonderful views. the breakfast was good quality and although dinner service was a bit slow, most of it was very tasty. the kid's meal was a bit odd though; it was supposed to be some kind of Chinese, but was just drenched in soy sauce.

Overall it was a good experience and I would stay here again, but it didn't quite feel 4 star.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Tasheipl.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have just spent two nights at the Mercure in Brighton. We had a very good room facing the sea as requested. All the staff were excellent, very efficient and welcoming.
The breakfast was plentiful and of excellent quality.
We would definitely stop again

Room Tip: we stayed in the front of the hotel which had a great view out to sea
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Cotswolds2013,

Deal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. There were 8 of us (4 couples) and we all had a great time.
Our rooms were all clean and adjacent to each other as requested. The bed was comfortable and the shower was good.
Our package included breakfast which was plentiful and one three course evening meal which was good.
Our package stated that dinner was on the first night but as we were going to a Bryan Ferry concert which started at 7pm we asked if we could swap it for the second night. The hotel kindly agreed to do this.
All staff were helpful, polite and friendly, particularly at reception and at breakfast when they went out of their way to ensure we could all sit at one table.
It is only a 10-15 min walk into the Lanes. There is a really good pub called the Lion and Lobster which is situated behind the hotel.
We will definitely stay here again when next visiting Brighton, particularly if we get a good deal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear AlanandTracey,