“Mercure Brighton”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 24 December 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,871)

Reviewed 22 December 2013

The hotel location was on the seafront - a little displaced from the main centre but within easy walking distance. It was clearly an old hotel and there were definite problems with the heating. The windows were old and draughty. Our bedroom curtains billowed in the wind even with the windows shut! The TV was difficult to operate but came on in the middle of the night unprompted!
The rooms had been cleaned to a high standard but the decor was faded and the hotel generally looked in need of refurbishment.
However, these problems were forgiven because all the staff we encountered- were so helpful, friendly and efficient. Urte (on the front desk) and Gabby (our waiter) especially were a credit to the hotel. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear thebig fox,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I was delighted to hear that you found the staff to be extremely helpful, effiecient and professional. I am sure your comment will help encourage them to keep up their hard work and great levels of service. I am aslo certain Gabby and Urte would be delighted when i share your comments with them.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed here on an Amazon deal and it was exceptionally good value for bed and breakfast. The hotel is in a great location - right on the seafront and easy walking distance into town for the shops, bars, restaurants etc. The room we had was quite spacious and seemed newly refurbished. It had everything we needed although no view, but for the price I didn't expect a sea view. Breakfast was very good and cooked to order. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. I'd recommend this hotel if you can get a deal, but probably not worth the rack rate. But better than a lot of other more expensive places we've stayed in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chiora

Dear Choira,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback about a guests stay.

I was glad that you had a great stay and your comments will help encourage the staff to continue to provide great service.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

From the moment we booked - and all thanks to the super efficient and kind Urte who handled this to the minute we left it was an excellent experience. We stayed two nights. All the staff are extremely kind and helpful.

We had a warm, comfortable and spacious room - which was well priced. This is not a luxury hotel and this is reflected in the price. It is an extremely comfortable place where the staff are great and this is what counts. However, if you want it, there is room service, bar etc.

The breakfast was good and there are the daily papers and the local paper too waiting for you in the breakfast room.

My only criticism was: the coffee was dreadful - and I reported this to the duty manager. The tea, however, was good.

I've stayed in a few hotels in Brighton and this was way better than the others (which ranged from budget to five star).

The whole experience was excellent.

Room Tip: Sea facing - of course - but then everybody wants this! I didn't see the other rooms so I can...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Mike-In-London,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive such encouraging feedback.

I am sure Urte will be delighted when she finds out she has been mentioned for her hard work and service. I will be discussing your feedback with the rest of the team, to whom I know will be equally delighted with your feedback, and will serve as a motivator for them.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had our work's Christmas Party here on Saturday and had a brilliant time! The staff were so courteous and helpful - we were really well looked after. The food was good and the atmosphere was amazing. The ballroom had just been redecorated and looked fresh, clean and white - perfect for an Ice White Party. A few of my friends stayed overnight and said the rooms were lovely and the breakfast very good too. Would definitely book a party here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Lindsey C,

Iwas delighted to hear that you had a fantastic time and enjoyed your works Christmas Party.I will be discussing your feedback with the rest of the team, to whom I know will be equally delighted with your feedback, and will serve as a motivator for them.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We went here September 2013 for a late anniversary weekend break. Location is ace! right on the beach and central for all aspects of Brighton, our favourite place.
Restaurant was tiny and very hot, although the food was good.
Our room was spacious and very clean (a little basic for what we paid I think!) We had let the team know it was our anniversary and they gave us a large balcony room at the front of the hotel which was lovely for people watching.
usually we stay at the Grabnd and sadly it eas booked up and this was the closest location wise to what we were looking for - we dont feel its up to its star rating in anyway shape or form, the bar is tiny, service is incredibly slow with limited drinks options

Room Tip: front room with balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Claire P,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback be it positive or negative.

I was glad that we were able to upgrade you complimentary on this occassion to make your stay extra special. I was also glad that you found the restaurant food served to be good despite thinking the restaurant was too small.

I will be discussing your feedback with the rest of the team and i am sure they will continue to strive to deliver great service.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Mercure appear to have recently taken over this hotel which is a typical seafront victorian type with a grand staircase and lots of small rooms off this.
They have clearly started on a renovation process - which as usual improves the public areas first at the expense of the bedrooms.
Our "Classic" room was tiny - really hard to even walk round the bed, an even smaller bathroom with a dated shower and associated grimy grouting etc.
Despite being in December the room was stupidly hot courtesy of a massive old radiator which refused to obey its theromstatic valve. God knows what its like in the summer (the fan in the wardrobe is a clue)
However, service was up to the usual high Accor standard and everyone was very welcoming.
Im sure Mercure have a refurbishment plan for this hotel - it is a decent location on the Front but to add £18 for the pleasure of parking in a dank carpark is just a ripoff and we shouldnt put up with this sort of thing. Overall, this is NOT yet a £150 a night hotel despite charging as such.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Woosiep,

Unfortunately car parking is somewhat of a premium in brighton and being a city centre hotel we do charge a very competitive price of £18 coming in cheaper than anywhere else in brighton. We do have hotels withtin the company that offer free car parking but these are not city centre locations and have ample car parking.

Since your comment we have checked the radiator in your room and relevant improvements are in progress.