“Christmas for 3 nights”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Good location and friendly helpful staff but hotel struggling to cope! Sea view room very good, large and comfortable bed. Not informed when booking of car parking charge of £18 a night.Christmas Day breakfast was a disaster no food on cold or hot buffet, staff struggling to refill as understaffed and explanation of a temporary chef 'caught on back foot'. Full range of food as advertised on menu not available .In the end gave up and walked out. Manager gave us free parking to compensate and assured us it was a one off! But exactly the same happened on our final morning .Hotel bar ran out of most popular white wines, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc during our stay. On Christmas Day we were meant to have light meal in the evening but never informed of when this was available so missed it!. Christmas Day meal was surprisingly good but restaurant below par for a 4 star hotel, except if had sea view table. In the end stay was spoilt by these easily rectifiable things and we were given compensation off bar bill, but our Christmas Holiday stay with family was ruined. Would never recommend it. Hotel said they would contact us after our stay but never did, hence this report.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are good others are still needing to be updated
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Tony and I booked two nights just before Christmas at this hotel. Despite the stormy weather, our break was a total joy. We were just around the corner from our favourite Brighton pub, the Bedford Tavern, and the hotel was brilliant. The staff were beyond helpful, the room was both quirky (the building is old) and very comfortable, breakfast choice was extensive, and the bar was taken care of by a bouffant-haired bloke with a great sense of humour. Would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Denis M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback about a guests stay.

I was glad that you found all off the staff helpful and proffessional.I was glad that you had a great stay and your comments will help encourage the staff to continue to provide great service.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a great hotel on the seafront. There is a private carpark too, which although you have to pay for it, is convenient and avoids the issue of finding on street parking nearby. The staff were all very friendly and most helpful. The bedrooms were good, perhaps a tad quirky in layout but clean and spacious. The restaurant served a very good meal too. The town centre, pavillion and attractions were all in walking distance and the deal we got for B&B with dinner on the first night was excellent value. All in all and ideal hotel for a weekend break.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Colourueen99,

Reviewed 24 December 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 22 December 2013

The hotel location was on the seafront - a little displaced from the main centre but within easy walking distance. It was clearly an old hotel and there were definite problems with the heating. The windows were old and draughty. Our bedroom curtains billowed in the wind even with the windows shut! The TV was difficult to operate but came on in the middle of the night unprompted!
The rooms had been cleaned to a high standard but the decor was faded and the hotel generally looked in need of refurbishment.
However, these problems were forgiven because all the staff we encountered- were so helpful, friendly and efficient. Urte (on the front desk) and Gabby (our waiter) especially were a credit to the hotel. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear thebig fox,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I was delighted to hear that you found the staff to be extremely helpful, effiecient and professional. I am sure your comment will help encourage them to keep up their hard work and great levels of service. I am aslo certain Gabby and Urte would be delighted when i share your comments with them.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed here on an Amazon deal and it was exceptionally good value for bed and breakfast. The hotel is in a great location - right on the seafront and easy walking distance into town for the shops, bars, restaurants etc. The room we had was quite spacious and seemed newly refurbished. It had everything we needed although no view, but for the price I didn't expect a sea view. Breakfast was very good and cooked to order. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. I'd recommend this hotel if you can get a deal, but probably not worth the rack rate. But better than a lot of other more expensive places we've stayed in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chiora

Dear Choira,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback about a guests stay.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

From the moment we booked - and all thanks to the super efficient and kind Urte who handled this to the minute we left it was an excellent experience. We stayed two nights. All the staff are extremely kind and helpful.

We had a warm, comfortable and spacious room - which was well priced. This is not a luxury hotel and this is reflected in the price. It is an extremely comfortable place where the staff are great and this is what counts. However, if you want it, there is room service, bar etc.

The breakfast was good and there are the daily papers and the local paper too waiting for you in the breakfast room.

My only criticism was: the coffee was dreadful - and I reported this to the duty manager. The tea, however, was good.

I've stayed in a few hotels in Brighton and this was way better than the others (which ranged from budget to five star).

The whole experience was excellent.

Room Tip: Sea facing - of course - but then everybody wants this! I didn't see the other rooms so I can...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Mike-In-London,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive such encouraging feedback.

I am sure Urte will be delighted when she finds out she has been mentioned for her hard work and service. I will be discussing your feedback with the rest of the team, to whom I know will be equally delighted with your feedback, and will serve as a motivator for them.