“Wasn't value for money”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Wasn't value for money”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed at the Mercure in Brighton hotel over new year's eve as I was looking for somewhere close to the venue I was going to and wanted to stay somewhere a bit nicer than a BnB (being NYE and all…)

The room was much smaller than I was expecting for the money paid. It was also incredibly hot and the window banged all through the night in the wind which kept waking me up – I informed the reception staff that the pane was loose in the room we stayed in and they mentioned they would look to it.

The breakfast was really quite poor; a very small selection of hot breakfast and some rock hard fruit. Admittedly it was the morning of new year's day so perhaps the chef was hanging?!

The location was fairly good for us and the staff were generally nice. If you can't get parking in the hotel's own car park area, the pay as you go parking opposite the hotel is free between 8pm to 9am. We parked there and it cost us less than parking with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear RachieA88,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback about a guests stay be it negative or positive.

Please allow me to express my apologies for the windoe in the room. Our maintenance team have since been up there and have had it repaired.

I was glad that you found all off the staff helpful and proffessional.

I was disappointed to hear that the breakfast experience did not live up to your expectations. I will be sharing your comments with the relative Department Head.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Peter Nye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Korean first
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The room we had was a little basic but, the bath wouldn't drain and the sink would think about it. the tv system is a nightmare. I had to go through about eight options before I could get to BBC1. If you wanted to watch a film then it would cost you £6.00!!! Not even a mucky one! I would hate to think what one of those would have cost. Breakfast was a nightmare. We had to que. for about fifteen minutes for a table in a very outdated Victorian era what looked to be a small concert hall. The breakfast was reasonable with smiling staff. The sauce bottles were on the tables and it looked like a greasy spoon cafe The tops of the sauce bottles were quite frankly disgusting and not what you would expect. Parking was £18.00 a night!!!!! Come guys get real, don't be greedy. If you are going to charge these prices then at least get the place up to a standard. Personally? It's a no from me. It would also be nice if you could find just one person that was English in an english seaside resort, or is it me?

Room Tip: If you want to upgrade? It will cost you another £60.00 and for another £40.00, guess what you get t...
Dear Pmstudios,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback about a guests stay be it positive or nagative.

Our Televisions are all loaded with up to date Movies and music along with 18 free digital channels provided by an indepentdant supplier. By choosing the normal television option via the television remote control a guest can Opt out of the Movie system and go straight onto TV Channels.

Unfortunately Car Parking is somewhat of a premium in brighton and being a city centre hotel with a limited car park, we charge a very competitive price of £18 a night coming in cheaper than anywhere else. We do have hotels within the company that offer free car parking but these are not city centre hotels.

Update and maintenance are an ongoing process here while we still try to maintain the original Character and Charm of the building.

Peter Nye

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Epsom, UK
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent 2 nights in this hotel on a deal which we thought was excellent value for Brighton. Room was slightly smallish but with a very comfortable bed. Shame there was only a shower and no bath, though. I had read reviews about noisy wedding parties and we were 'warned' by the reception that the Saturday night might be noisy until about midnight because there was a wedding party that evening. However, although our room was on 1st floor, we heard absolutely no noise whatsoever.
Breakfast was excellent quality: excellent coffee, baguette, croissants and plenty of fresh fruit; my husband very much liked his sausages too - I was slightly missing the veggie sausages which are these days available in many places.
We also got late check-out which was additional bonus - but even standard check-out is 12noon which isn't bad.
The only thing we were less keen on was the dinner but then, it was part of the deal so our expectations were not high to start with. Except for the pudding the food was so-so. The nice thing was though that if you didn't want the set menu, you could choose from a la carte and top up the payment if necessary. You don't often get given this possibility and it was very much appreaciated. Bottle of house Merlot in the deal was entirely decent.
Would without doubt come again - definitely on a deal.

Dear HanelleD,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback about a guests stay.

I was glad that you found all off the staff helpful and proffessional.I was glad that you had a great stay and your comments will help encourage the staff to continue to provide great service.

LONDON
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just back from 2 night stay.

The hotel is at least 15 mins walk from the city centre.

The restaurant is tiny, cold and not overly relaxing. Had it not been for a meal included in the price I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. The food was nice nonetheless.

The building itself is attractive from the outside but tired and far too warm on the inside. Too warm to sleep almost.

Staff give the impression of struggling to cope; whilst the breakfast is satisfactory I would have expected more from a 4 star establishment. No cold meats or cheese. A poor buffet.

If you are paying a discount rate then fine; but don't be paying top price for this place.

Dear PJC1979

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback about a guests stay be it positive or negative.

Updating and Upkeep is an ongoing process here while we still try to maintain the original Character and Charm of the building.

I have taken note of your comments and will be discussing it with the relevant department heads to ensure improvements.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Good location and friendly helpful staff but hotel struggling to cope! Sea view room very good, large and comfortable bed. Not informed when booking of car parking charge of £18 a night.Christmas Day breakfast was a disaster no food on cold or hot buffet, staff struggling to refill as understaffed and explanation of a temporary chef 'caught on back foot'. Full range of food as advertised on menu not available .In the end gave up and walked out. Manager gave us free parking to compensate and assured us it was a one off! But exactly the same happened on our final morning .Hotel bar ran out of most popular white wines, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc during our stay. On Christmas Day we were meant to have light meal in the evening but never informed of when this was available so missed it!. Christmas Day meal was surprisingly good but restaurant below par for a 4 star hotel, except if had sea view table. In the end stay was spoilt by these easily rectifiable things and we were given compensation off bar bill, but our Christmas Holiday stay with family was ruined. Would never recommend it. Hotel said they would contact us after our stay but never did, hence this report.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are good others are still needing to be updated
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Tony and I booked two nights just before Christmas at this hotel. Despite the stormy weather, our break was a total joy. We were just around the corner from our favourite Brighton pub, the Bedford Tavern, and the hotel was brilliant. The staff were beyond helpful, the room was both quirky (the building is old) and very comfortable, breakfast choice was extensive, and the bar was taken care of by a bouffant-haired bloke with a great sense of humour. Would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Denis M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel on Trip Advisor. Its always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback about a guests stay.