“Not so bright on this one!”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Now this should have ticked all the boxes. Seafront location, a reasonable price via coupon discount in one of our favourite seaside locations. My wife and I have enjoyed staying at a large number of hotels and guest houses in Brighton over the years, so we have a fairly good idea what to expect. It's location is perfect, 10-15mins walk from town centre, the Lanes (famous jewellery and antiques shopping area) and the main pier. There is a newly refurbished and secure public car park five minutes walk away.

This is one of the Accor chain group ones. AA four star, we were expecting great things. Its reception was large and spacious and gave a very grand feel to the arrival, our registration was dealt with swiftly and efficiently, albeit the delivery of directions and information was reeled off at pace with incoherent english which always irritates me.

Having worked out where we needed to go, we found ourselves allocated to the fourth floor, at the side of the hotel. Its very high up but with no view but the backs of other hotels and buildings. The windows were filthy and poorly maintained and the wind blew through them during the night making the room very noisy and cold from the wind especially when the heating is switched off in the night.

The room was surprisingly small, I would have been very disappointed if we had paid the full rate. I have stayed in holiday caravans with more space each side of the bed. This room should really have been a made up as a single. With only one chair it meant we couldn't both sit comfortably in the available room space and watch TV. The room, beds and furnishings were ok and everything was clean which is a real must in our requirements. Reasonable sized bathroom with good standard shower and well maintained. Limited TV options, unless you are prepared to pay. The bathroom fan ran noisily for over 15 mins, I timed it.
Very little information on the hotel services & facilities.

We had poor weather and so decided to try the hotels brasserie. A blandly decorated room, which was freezing, they even suggested sitting at one end of the room because of the draughty windows. The menu was basic to say the least. But they had steak listed and I thought why not, "not" being the operative word, just sat down, only to be told no steak. I was left with a disappointing range of fish & chips, shepherds pie, or burger done with 4 types of topping!!, I was having flashbacks of Fawlty towers "Gourmet night". This is a 4 star hotel, Saturday 8pm in Brighton. Absolutely un-forgiveable, the average cafe could have done this at a fraction of the cost, and maybe offered more than one type of steak. Overpriced at nearly £8 for a burger and chips, we got poor quality food. The burger was cooked rare, which is fine if you like it that way and if you are asked before hand, my wife doesn't, but they were good enough to replace it with a fully cooked one. The chips were burnt due to double cooking (half cooked, cooled and recooked to save time). I complained about these, and ta da, I get perfect, freshly cooked chips, which is what they should have done first time round! We were not the only other disgruntled diners, two other couples also remarked on the standard of food and lack of proper service as they left ahead of us, its shameful when a group of total strangers all feel united in their dining nightmares. Don't go near this eating place with a barge pole, eat out.

The opportunity for a later breakfast appealed to us. But we arrived to a dimly lit and chaotic, breakfast room. What should have been a spectacular room, was packed tables all over the place. With waiting staff trying to keep up with the number of guests all arriving and enjoying the later start. Again, I have to remind ourselves this is four star hotel. The buffet style delivery was totally inept. Toast your own bread which needed two passes causing backlogs of people. No orange juice, fresh fruit or anything you might expect to find in a quality hotel. The hot plate style buffet, was constantly running out of components for full breakfast, and even when you got it back to the table was cold or at best luke warm. So if you want to avoid, go early, I would hope its better.

Conclusion:
I see other feedback saying don't be put off by bad reviews. I say it, how I see it.
We didnt pay the full rates... glad we didn't! Would I stay again... no.

So as hotels go, I don't know how it qualifies for 4 star, maybe it was back in its heyday. I have enjoyed better stays in 2 star b&b's.

However, for balance... If you can get a cheap deal, If you only need a base, for location; 10 mins from shops and pier, a pop across the road for the beach. Spot on. If you don't mind claustrophobic rooms designed for one, and don't plan on spending any time in them...at all. Then it will be perfect.

You might be lucky and get a good stay...

Room Tip: Ask for anything on the first two floors, its my guess they will have higher ceilings and maybe more...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank niche2cu
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us in Brighton.

Since taking over as the General Manager of the hotel on Tuesday 11th February I realise that there is work to do to improve the consistency of service.

I have taken on board your comments and will be working with the team over the coming weeks to improve upon this and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards
Kevin

Kevin Keenan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,920)

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I am a senior reviewer on trip advisor, and I've never ever written a bad review as I'm always very kind, but I'm sad to say this will be my first.
After a long journey we arrived to discover the hotel car park was full, we asked why and were told parking was full from 80th birthday party guests who were just there for the day and leaving later but no idea what time. We then had to drive around Brighton looking for a parking space and then walk to the hotel with all out luggage. Parking should be prioritised for hotel guests staying the night who are paying £130+ and have heavy luggage. Then after unpacking in the room, I walked into he bar and there was a guy stood working behind the bar. He saw me walk straight up and then walked off, leaving me stood there waiting in front of everyone else who were sat looking at me.
The room was the standard of a Mercure but the tea tray was pathetic! 3 little cartons of milk and 1 sugar, that is just a sign of someone who can't be bothered. You can hear everything through the walls in the other rooms.
The guy working behind reception did a great job, he has all on his own and had a huge queue of people waiting but dealt with it very well on his own.
All that's left to say is what an incredibly unnecessarily sad tun of events at this hotel. We won't be staying again and will recommend to others not to stay. It's £130 I will never see again. My first ever bad review makes me sad :-(

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Princesskate270

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us here in Brighton. My apologies that our limited parking was full with other guests and this led to you having to park elsewhere. Limited parking is one of the challenges we face here in Brighton and we are hoping to expand the space available here on site later in the year.

I am sorry that the service you received in the Bar was unsatisfactory, it costs nothing to acknowledge a customer and I will be following up with the relevant team member to ensure this does not happen again.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Mercure Brighton Seafront again in the future and should I be able to assist with anyting further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards

Kevin Keenan

Reviewed 30 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Reviewed 27 January 2014

like many sea side hotels ive been to in uk grand hotel buildings very small rooms breakfast was nice 10 min walk to centre lots of nice attractions in brighton shame even though it was end of june weather was awful

Room Tip: avoid sea front lots of traffic noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear analienabroad,

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had seen a few negative reviews prior to our visit but im glad to say we were pleasantly surprised. A very swift check in, the staff were extremely polite and efficient. We found the hotel room highly satisfactory not in any way dated...nice flat screen tv, free Wi-Fi and complementary hair dryer- a proper high spec one ladies not the old sort that takes you an hour to dry your hair! My partner found the room a little hot...however it was fine to me...and im usully the first to feel the heat
. We had no problem parking in the hotels car park..plenty of spaces and extra spaces out front.We ate in the brasserie restaurant excellent choice of food and also a 3 course a la carte menu...food was beautiful presented I definitely recommend the burgers! There was a good choice of food at breakfast we chose the full English which arrived in minutes and wasn't packed on the plate..just the right amount so didn't feel too guilty afterwards!
All the staff were extremely polite and helpful...my advice don't be put off by reviews. It is a little bit of a rabbit warren but it is a large hotel but there are clear directions to all the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lula1921

Dear Lula21,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that your comments will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I was delighted to hear that you found all of the staff to be freindly. and that your stay met your expectations.

Should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Spent a night here in December.
Check in was okay...
The room was down a rabbit warren... in the back of the hotel.
The first impression of the room was dated.. however the Bed was comfortable.
The TV had limited channels.
It was the middle of winter and hotel was chilly....
Check out was quick

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Otagopete
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Otagopoete,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel.It is always a pleasure to receive feedback. be it positive or negative,

Upkeep and maintenance are an ongoing process here while we still try to maintain the original character and charm.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed for one night here with friends. Check in was simple and the staff were friendly. The room and bathroom were very clean and spacious. It's in a good location right on the seafront and within walking distance to some great pubs and clubs. Would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank kelly29186338

Dear Kelly29186338,

I was delighted to hear that you found all of the staff to be freindly.