Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$101
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$111
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
1,976 results
All reviewssea frontbrighton seafrontboth morningsvery pleasant staypublic areascomfy beda sea view roomweekend breakcooked breakfastfull englishpierstaircase
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked this hotel for a 2 night break. Great deal withbed and breakfast with dinner on the first night. Room was nice if basic. We were a little disappointed with the size of the seating area in the bar particularly for a hotel of this size. Service was good and drinks reasonably priced. The dining room was again small and the dinner menu underwhelming. Food took ages to arrive and was not brilliant. Breakfast was better and again staff very attentive. We came back from a walk and as the weather had turned went for a drink in the bar but it was full of people waiting for a private meal in the restaurant and we had to sit in the lobby until they had cleared, then we were told because of this party, food may be delayed if we were ordering lunch. We got in quick but that is hardly the guests fault. Overall a comfortable stay although areas for guests to sit and chill is lacking and food not 100% appetising.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. I am very pleased that you had a comfortable stay, the new beds, pillows and duvets which we replaced at the end of last year are proving a hit.

We are always looking at ways of where we can improve our business and your comments concerning the seating in the bar and lounge area will be taken on board.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Brighton again soon

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Room was luxurious and large. Had everything you needed including trouser press, hairdrier, lcd tv, free wifi, room service. Bar is open 24 hours. Lovely views overlooking the sea. Drinks bit dear but it is a four star hotel. Breakfast was lovely with ample choice. Staff friendly and pleasant. Close to all amenities. Only downside is lack of sufficient signage for directions to rooms and reception. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend it. Hope to return in summer months. Thanks to you all.

• Stayed: February 2014
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review us following your recent stay.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time here and I look forward to welcoming you back in the summer

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is a hotel that is suitable for an overnight stay. Not luxurious but comfortable enough with enough facilities to get by. It is warm and clean and breakfast is sufficient. Being in a convenient location on the seafront the only problem is the parking. After driving around the area without finding a parking space we returned to the hotel to be lucky as someone was leaving and paid in reception to park for 24 hours.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Many thanks for the review following your recent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Brighton Seafront in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday night in February. The premium room was clean. The single glazed sash windows were very draught. No real shower...just a shower head over the bath. No mini bar. No safe.
The hotel has a wonderful staircase....but you need to be able to see beyond the fire doors....clearly a fire requirement.
Staff great but overworked and service suffered. Slow service at dinner. Lack of food at breakfast...they could not keep up with demand. The staff were unbelievable given the circumstances...guests helped by getting up and getting their own ketchup or politely prompting that chips were needed.....all a bit of a farce.
We have stayed at more than 12 hotels in Brighton over the last 17 years and we have returned to 3 of them.....We will not be returning here......We loved their hotel in Kent and Nice but not this one

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. My apologies that the service was not up to standard on this occassion, it is apparent that this particular Breakfast service was short staffed and I will be working with the team to ensure we do not have a repeat of this.

Thank you for your kind comments concerning the room cleanliness this will be passed on to Carol the Head Housekeeper.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Now this should have ticked all the boxes. Seafront location, a reasonable price via coupon discount in one of our favourite seaside locations. My wife and I have enjoyed staying at a large number of hotels and guest houses in Brighton over the years, so we have a fairly good idea what to expect. It's location is perfect, 10-15mins walk from town centre, the Lanes (famous jewellery and antiques shopping area) and the main pier. There is a newly refurbished and secure public car park five minutes walk away.

This is one of the Accor chain group ones. AA four star, we were expecting great things. Its reception was large and spacious and gave a very grand feel to the arrival, our registration was dealt with swiftly and efficiently, albeit the delivery of directions and information was reeled off at pace with incoherent english which always irritates me.

Having worked out where we needed to go, we found ourselves allocated to the fourth floor, at the side of the hotel. Its very high up but with no view but the backs of other hotels and buildings. The windows were filthy and poorly maintained and the wind blew through them during the night making the room very noisy and cold from the wind especially when the heating is switched off in the night.

The room was surprisingly small, I would have been very disappointed if we had paid the full rate. I have stayed in holiday caravans with more space each side of the bed. This room should really have been a made up as a single. With only one chair it meant we couldn't both sit comfortably in the available room space and watch TV. The room, beds and furnishings were ok and everything was clean which is a real must in our requirements. Reasonable sized bathroom with good standard shower and well maintained. Limited TV options, unless you are prepared to pay. The bathroom fan ran noisily for over 15 mins, I timed it.
Very little information on the hotel services & facilities.

We had poor weather and so decided to try the hotels brasserie. A blandly decorated room, which was freezing, they even suggested sitting at one end of the room because of the draughty windows. The menu was basic to say the least. But they had steak listed and I thought why not, "not" being the operative word, just sat down, only to be told no steak. I was left with a disappointing range of fish & chips, shepherds pie, or burger done with 4 types of topping!!, I was having flashbacks of Fawlty towers "Gourmet night". This is a 4 star hotel, Saturday 8pm in Brighton. Absolutely un-forgiveable, the average cafe could have done this at a fraction of the cost, and maybe offered more than one type of steak. Overpriced at nearly £8 for a burger and chips, we got poor quality food. The burger was cooked rare, which is fine if you like it that way and if you are asked before hand, my wife doesn't, but they were good enough to replace it with a fully cooked one. The chips were burnt due to double cooking (half cooked, cooled and recooked to save time). I complained about these, and ta da, I get perfect, freshly cooked chips, which is what they should have done first time round! We were not the only other disgruntled diners, two other couples also remarked on the standard of food and lack of proper service as they left ahead of us, its shameful when a group of total strangers all feel united in their dining nightmares. Don't go near this eating place with a barge pole, eat out.

The opportunity for a later breakfast appealed to us. But we arrived to a dimly lit and chaotic, breakfast room. What should have been a spectacular room, was packed tables all over the place. With waiting staff trying to keep up with the number of guests all arriving and enjoying the later start. Again, I have to remind ourselves this is four star hotel. The buffet style delivery was totally inept. Toast your own bread which needed two passes causing backlogs of people. No orange juice, fresh fruit or anything you might expect to find in a quality hotel. The hot plate style buffet, was constantly running out of components for full breakfast, and even when you got it back to the table was cold or at best luke warm. So if you want to avoid, go early, I would hope its better.

Conclusion:
I see other feedback saying don't be put off by bad reviews. I say it, how I see it.
We didnt pay the full rates... glad we didn't! Would I stay again... no.

So as hotels go, I don't know how it qualifies for 4 star, maybe it was back in its heyday. I have enjoyed better stays in 2 star b&b's.

However, for balance... If you can get a cheap deal, If you only need a base, for location; 10 mins from shops and pier, a pop across the road for the beach. Spot on. If you don't mind claustrophobic rooms designed for one, and don't plan on spending any time in them...at all. Then it will be perfect.

You might be lucky and get a good stay...

Room Tip: Ask for anything on the first two floors, its my guess they will have higher ceilings and maybe more floor space. Avoid fourth floor, I saw the fire exit floor plan and there were smaller rooms than ours!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank niche2cu

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us in Brighton.

Since taking over as the General Manager of the hotel on Tuesday 11th February I realise that there is work to do to improve the consistency of service.

I have taken on board your comments and will be working with the team over the coming weeks to improve upon this and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.