“Nice location but average hotel”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The location is very central and parking is never an issue as there underground car parks (paid) around and usually street parking is also an option free overnight.

Hotel is dated as you can tell by the rooms and it does not have gym/spa/pool facility which is very bad for the night rate charged. Would only recommend for a one off night ...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay, we appreciate all feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back to Brighton again in the future.

Kevin Keenan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I arrived after a long journey at around 7 pm and asked the receptionist if I could have a nice room. She told me if I did not like the room she had given me to return to reception. That should have been my clue. Room 201 was small and dark with the scenic view of a fire escape blocking out all the light. The bathroom was tiny. I was so disappointed as I paid £119 for that!
I returned to reception and was offered a nicer room in the refurbished part of the hotel. Why was I not given that at first? It was made clear that the restaurant was busy and if I wanted to eat in the bar there may be a wait so I took the hint and went out!
The second room was clean and light but quite noisy both at night and in the morning. Breakfast was Ok. The taxi booked by the hotel did not turn up so I was late for my conference. All in all not an experience I would want to repeat. And had anyone asked me how my stay was, I would have told them!

Room Tip: Avoid 201 and ask for new rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback here following your recent stay. My apologies that the initial room was not to your satisfaction however I am glad we were able to sort out another one. As an hotel dating from 1864 our standard rooms do vary in shape and size, one of the quirks of 150 years of changes, additions and reconfiguration.

We had a large function on the evening you stayed and whilst this was being serviced we were advising guests on the timings available to eat in order not to disappoint.

My apologies that our taxi company let us down on this occassion and I hope that we can welcome you back to Brighton again in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night. Rooms were really nice. Clean and tidy. The staff were really friendly and helpful behind reception. Nice location on sea front although a little wall to the pier and the main area in Brighton. Would definitely stay here again if can get a good deal.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Tom and Anne H

Many thanks for your recent review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel for a weekend in Brighton!

Parked right at the front of the hotel when we arrived for £18 and were pleased to hear we could leave it there even after check out so we could go for lunch and shopping before heading home on our last day.

Arrived early but room ready to check in. Friendly reception staff. We got a family room in a deal so for two of us this was very large with two windows and a double and single bed. Hotel is a bit old and "rickety" but this is normal for the seafront hotels in Brighton. Bathroom large, shower a little bit tight getting in and out as door opened inwards though! TV a bit on the slow side when responding to remote control commands and not very large. Peaceful nights sleep though, would definitely stay here again although bit of a walk to the pier side of Brighton but perfect for Preston st bars and shops.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank lisaSwebb
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Many thanks for your recent review and I am delighted that you had a great weekend in Brighton. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the third year in a row for a function. The hotel is being refurbished and they're doing a great job. Our room was spacious and decor was modern and sophisticated. Service was good and food was nice. Can be a little pricey but all the hotels along the sea front are.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Lauriann S
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Many thanks for your the kind feedback following your recent visit and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Through our ongoing improvements we have now finished the soft refurbishment of our Privilege rooms and the Ballroom. More works are planned following the summer and I hope that we can welcome you back again next year.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014