“Ms”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night, two hundred pounds disgusting price. Room was very small very hot, wasn't even sunny that day. Trouser press didn't work, asked for an iron twice before we got it. And it didn't get hot enough to work so wouldn't go there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy B
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Kathy B,

The team and I welcome guest feedback and I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with yours.

I would like to apologise that you feel the hotel did not meet your expectations and I will share your feedback with the team to ensure that you service and standards offering are reviewed and appropriate action is taken where needed.

I would like to thank you for your comments.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel one night and think that will be it. Although we had a spacey room with terrace and sea-view on the first floor I don't find the offering in line with the price demanded: the TV didn't work properly, the shower was a bath tub with a shower curtain and a fixed shower head, and coffee machine without any coffee or tea (had to call room service to get this). Since I am on it, I didn't find the breakfast great (small crowded place) nor was the service anything I would appraise much. All in all, not bad but next time in Brighton I will look for somewhere else to stay for £250 per night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheOne O

TheOne O,

The team and I would like to thank you for your recent review; we welcome all guest feedback.

I would like to apologise that you feel your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be shared with the team and we shall review our service and standards offering in line with this and make changes we required.

I thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

So, let me start off by saying that this is a beautiful building and one can easily imagine the grandeur of yesteryear. It's in a good location too. The reception staff were very nice and very helpful.
I checked into this hotel after booking online and paying 180 pounds for one night. I got up to my room (room being a very generous description) to find a double bed in a boiling hot cupboard on the first floor. I kid you not, a midget intent on swinging a very small cat would have been defeated. There was about 30cm space around the bed and the walls or furniture. The bathroom was tiny and one could not turn around without hitting the walls. Did I mention 180 pounds for one night?
So, I went to reception and asked to be moved to a cooler room and one where I may be able to avoid bouncing off the walls each time I got off the bed. The receptionist was really nice and told me that none of the hotel rooms have air conditioning. An old building, I know, but then again so is the Grand and so many others in Brighton.
Anyway, I was offered another room, which was slightly larger, also on the first floor, although I think the bathroom had been fashioned from a corridor. It was only possible to get to the toilet by turning sideways and avoid burning yourself on the radiator. I have no idea how this was passed by health and safety, I roughly measured it and the space to pass through was about 42cm. Did I mention it was 180 pounds for one night?
I notice that some people have had more positive experiences than I have at this hotel and I did not see in the rooms on the upper floors. I can only assume that they clearly do not share a single attribute of the rooms on the first floor. Perhaps they reflect better value for the high price. I am left feeling totally ripped off.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else that is better value. At the very least refuse to stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Astroboy2011

Astroboy2011,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide the team and I with your feedback following your recent stay here at the hotel.

I would like to apologise that your felt the hotel did not meet your expectations. The hotel does provide a range of room types for our guests to choose from and upon making your next reservation with us, I would ask that you contact myself directly and prior to confirming your reservation we can discuss which room type would best suit your requirements.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the team that you encountered during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

All Mercure's should model themselves on the Mercure Brighton Seafront, Whilst the Hotel is weather beaten because it is right across the road from Brighton Beach, the Staff, Comfort, Location and Facilities make this Hotel a must stay. We were upgraded due to our Accor Membership Card and our room faced the beach with a very large opening window to sample the sea air. A large comfortable king size bed and well appointed bathroom made our stay very worthwhile..and speaking of worth, the value for money aspect was also brilliant. The breakfast was very good and there is also secure private parking for a very low 24 hour fee. The staff from reception, room service to restaurant all deserve a mention as welcoming, helpful an dedicated to visitor's enjoyment of the hotel. This Hotel deserves the very best recommendation. Do yourself a favour and stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room with a sea view, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

HoneyAndPaul,

The team and I would like to thank you for your review.

Its is always a pleasure to receive guest feedback and we were delighted to read that you stay with us was a comfortable and relaxing one...and what great weather you had too!

The team and I pride ourselves in ensuring that we provide a welcoming and professional service to all our guests and in ensuring that not only do we meet but exceed our guests expectations.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Review on behalf of my uncle aunt and mother in law who I booked for the week. They said the hotel is in a pristine location with spectacular views.

They loved their bedrooms. One standard soom and one accessible room. Very nicely decorated. My mother in law said the breakfast was superb and very good quality.

Could not fault the hotel at all. Thanks for looking after them guys.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Corbett_Shane

I would like to thank you for providing myself and the team with your Uncle's review following his recent stay with us.

I was delighted to hear that everyone had a comfortable and relaxing stay at the hotel and that you found the location of the hotel ideal for visiting all the local attractions.

It was our pleasure to look after your Uncle and the reminder of the party - we look forward to welcoming them back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great location
I stayed for one night business trip to Brighton which I make every month
So I have tried mist of the hotels on the sea front
This is not the worst nor is it the best
The staff a poorly trained but enthusiastic
The hotel is very dated
I stayed to the rear of the hotel which is quite a distance from reception & my room card didn't work so I had to walk all the way back to reception, not a big deal if it only happens once but twice was annoying.
Room was well appointed and fresh with a good comfy bed
But the is no aircon in the rooms and only a patio door for ventilation so if your too hot you have to leave the door open which opens on to a communal terrace, not very secure and I for one don't want to sleep with my door open.
Parking is limited and on a first come first served basis as you cannot book, I parked on the front very convenient but £18 expensive!
Breakfast was on offer for £7.50 but wasn't great as items on the buffet were either missing or cold
I will not be returning

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Charles H
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Charles H,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel.

Myself and the team welcome all guest feedback and I would like to assure you that your comments will act as a tool used by the team to ensure that our standards and service offerings are continuely reviewed and monitored.

Upon your next visit to the local area please do get in touch with myself as I would welcome the opportunity to show you first hand the improvements that have been made as a result of your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in very hot weather. Lovely large room at the front of the hotel. Public areas do look a bit tired but the room was very clean and well looked after during my stay. Carlotta on reception was lovely and very professional and attentive especially as very busy. Breakfast staff were busy too but gluten free bread provided on request. Overall possibly 4 star rating is pushing it but the reception, restaurant and housekeeping staff lift the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank-you for the kind comments following your recent stay. It is very pleasing that you have singled out the staff and your comments will I am sure motivate them further.

On behalf of the whole team I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards