“dirty and overpriced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“dirty and overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just spend one night there with my girlfriends as we were on our one of "the girlie nights out"
We struggle with parking, there is no enough spaces in the hotel car park. The rooms were so small and not very clean. I dont think this hotel deserves 4* at all. I agree with the others that the hotel is very overpriced! Ok it is a seafront but it is still a bit of a walk to get to the centre. Not worthy:(

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank verysek
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank-you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.

Parking here in Brighton is challenging due to our city center location. The hotel only has 36 car parking spaces and these are available on a first come first serve basis and are chargeable at £18 for overnight parking.

Kind regards

Kevin Keenan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We (my husband & myself) stayed at the Mercure over the weekend. The reception staff were really attentive and very friendly. We went into the bar before dinner on Friday evening and only one table was unoccupied behind a table of 6 hells Angels watching the football. They constantly swore and were quite loud, luckily another became available in the window, so we immediately moved. Our dinner was booked for 8pm as there was a large party in at 7.30pm. We received the menus, only to be told that a number of the dishes were off, obviously the large party had taken the other items. Surely they should have pre-booked their meals leaving some for the rest of the guests. On Saturday morning, luckily we were both dressed, the fire alarm went off. After spending approx 30 minutes outside we were told that a room had overheated?! We then decided we had better wait for breakfast until the Chefs had time to start over. At 10am some of the items were empty and the fruit had just about disappeared. The waiting staff, all but one, didn’t seem to know what they were doing. We requested tea for 2, got the cups and milk but no tea, so waited 10 mins and requested again. Then received a pot for one.
Having stayed at this hotel in Brighton twice before, rooms 159 & 161, we requested that we not have a room with patio doors facing the others as before. Previously we had to keep the curtain closed both times, as because of the good weather people were outside chatting and one lot – smoking. The family room we were given, on the fourth floor, was really hot and the window would only open a few inches. This meant we had to leave it open all night but had to suffer the noise of the traffic and the rain. No water or biscuits were in the room, as before, it also needs some paint and a new carpet. All in all not a good weekend. After staying at the Mercure in Sheffield, Fawlty Towers came to mind this morning…

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Emma S
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Emma S,

I would like to thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here at the hotel.

I was delighted to read that the team you encountered were friendly and professional however, your stay did not fully meet your expectations like they have when previously staying with ourselves and for this I would like to offer my apologise.

I would also like to thank you for your co-operation on Saturday morning upon the fire alarms being sounded. I was pleased to note that the team ensured that the hotel was evacuated.

Upon making your next booking here at the hotel, I would request that you contact me directly and I can ensure that the best suited room type is allocated to you to best meet your requirements.

I thank you for your feedback.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night, two hundred pounds disgusting price. Room was very small very hot, wasn't even sunny that day. Trouser press didn't work, asked for an iron twice before we got it. And it didn't get hot enough to work so wouldn't go there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy B
Kathy B,

The team and I welcome guest feedback and I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with yours.

I would like to apologise that you feel the hotel did not meet your expectations and I will share your feedback with the team to ensure that you service and standards offering are reviewed and appropriate action is taken where needed.

I would like to thank you for your comments.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel one night and think that will be it. Although we had a spacey room with terrace and sea-view on the first floor I don't find the offering in line with the price demanded: the TV didn't work properly, the shower was a bath tub with a shower curtain and a fixed shower head, and coffee machine without any coffee or tea (had to call room service to get this). Since I am on it, I didn't find the breakfast great (small crowded place) nor was the service anything I would appraise much. All in all, not bad but next time in Brighton I will look for somewhere else to stay for £250 per night.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheOne O
TheOne O,

The team and I would like to thank you for your recent review; we welcome all guest feedback.

I would like to apologise that you feel your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be shared with the team and we shall review our service and standards offering in line with this and make changes we required.

I thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Darwin, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

So, let me start off by saying that this is a beautiful building and one can easily imagine the grandeur of yesteryear. It's in a good location too. The reception staff were very nice and very helpful.
I checked into this hotel after booking online and paying 180 pounds for one night. I got up to my room (room being a very generous description) to find a double bed in a boiling hot cupboard on the first floor. I kid you not, a midget intent on swinging a very small cat would have been defeated. There was about 30cm space around the bed and the walls or furniture. The bathroom was tiny and one could not turn around without hitting the walls. Did I mention 180 pounds for one night?
So, I went to reception and asked to be moved to a cooler room and one where I may be able to avoid bouncing off the walls each time I got off the bed. The receptionist was really nice and told me that none of the hotel rooms have air conditioning. An old building, I know, but then again so is the Grand and so many others in Brighton.
Anyway, I was offered another room, which was slightly larger, also on the first floor, although I think the bathroom had been fashioned from a corridor. It was only possible to get to the toilet by turning sideways and avoid burning yourself on the radiator. I have no idea how this was passed by health and safety, I roughly measured it and the space to pass through was about 42cm. Did I mention it was 180 pounds for one night?
I notice that some people have had more positive experiences than I have at this hotel and I did not see in the rooms on the upper floors. I can only assume that they clearly do not share a single attribute of the rooms on the first floor. Perhaps they reflect better value for the high price. I am left feeling totally ripped off.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else that is better value. At the very least refuse to stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Astroboy2011
Astroboy2011,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide the team and I with your feedback following your recent stay here at the hotel.

I would like to apologise that your felt the hotel did not meet your expectations. The hotel does provide a range of room types for our guests to choose from and upon making your next reservation with us, I would ask that you contact myself directly and prior to confirming your reservation we can discuss which room type would best suit your requirements.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the team that you encountered during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

All Mercure's should model themselves on the Mercure Brighton Seafront, Whilst the Hotel is weather beaten because it is right across the road from Brighton Beach, the Staff, Comfort, Location and Facilities make this Hotel a must stay. We were upgraded due to our Accor Membership Card and our room faced the beach with a very large opening window to sample the sea air. A large comfortable king size bed and well appointed bathroom made our stay very worthwhile..and speaking of worth, the value for money aspect was also brilliant. The breakfast was very good and there is also secure private parking for a very low 24 hour fee. The staff from reception, room service to restaurant all deserve a mention as welcoming, helpful an dedicated to visitor's enjoyment of the hotel. This Hotel deserves the very best recommendation. Do yourself a favour and stay at the Mercure Brighton Seafront.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room with a sea view, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HoneyAndPaul,

The team and I would like to thank you for your review.

Its is always a pleasure to receive guest feedback and we were delighted to read that you stay with us was a comfortable and relaxing one...and what great weather you had too!

The team and I pride ourselves in ensuring that we provide a welcoming and professional service to all our guests and in ensuring that not only do we meet but exceed our guests expectations.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Warmest Regards,

Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Review on behalf of my uncle aunt and mother in law who I booked for the week. They said the hotel is in a pristine location with spectacular views.

They loved their bedrooms. One standard soom and one accessible room. Very nicely decorated. My mother in law said the breakfast was superb and very good quality.

Could not fault the hotel at all. Thanks for looking after them guys.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Corbett_Shane

I would like to thank you for providing myself and the team with your Uncle's review following his recent stay with us.

I was delighted to hear that everyone had a comfortable and relaxing stay at the hotel and that you found the location of the hotel ideal for visiting all the local attractions.

It was our pleasure to look after your Uncle and the reminder of the party - we look forward to welcoming them back to the hotel soon.