“Great thai food and atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #84 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Tookta's authentic Thai cafe` and restaurant offers cuisine of a high standard ,many dishes originating from my own contemporary style ideas and recipes. A family friendly cafe`, Tookta caters for everyone. Spicy, mild, the lot. The customer is our number one priority and Tookta cooks to satisfy everyone's tastes. With a lifetime experience of fine thai food, which some of you may have already encountered at Tookta's Sunday Menu, The Office pub, sydney street, Brighton. Tookta is expert in using only fresh ingredients of the highest quality available. So Come along to Tookta's cafe` and experience the fine, Thai cuisine for yourself!
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great thai food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Came here on a wet windy Sunday before Christmas. V impressed with food and wine. Nice relaxed environment and cosy atmosphere. Staff friendly and helpful. Only downside no card machine so had to walk to cash machine. Would come back

London
“Not authentic...Brighton does kinda something Eastern badly. Not Thai at all but Tired!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Slow...slow...slow service but a warm welcome. The restaurant was warm and welcoming. The food was edible and hot...but Thai it was not...and it was not nice; it could have come out of a tin. It reminded me of the dreary cafes you used to find at the seaside...you had to eat something but there was no pleasure. It was not nasty...but it was a drag...dull, extremely bland food and slow, slow service. There was noghing to please.

This was no place for a treat...I did not expect gourmet dining but I did want to eat well. I'm mystified by all these rave reviews.

It was not expensive but it certainly was not value for money...there are so many nicer, better places to eat in Brighton. Such a shame as I was looking forward to a tasty Thai dinner...and let's face it, it's not hard to knock together a reasonable pass at a Thai meal at home....so a restaurant specialising in this cuisine should be delivering something superior...

It said Thai on the door but the experience was something else.

Had the chef gone home for the holidays?

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mike-in-London
south london
“tasty food in a warm friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

we had a splendid meal in this little cafe. It was warm on a cold windy night, the food was delicious and fresh and very good value for money. The menu was wonderfully uncomplicated - which I found very useful in a thai restaurant. We had a very relaxed evening - and the complementary tea and biscuits were greatly appreciated!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank thebigfox
Brighton, United Kingdom
“New management????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Tried Tookta's before and wasn't very impressed, thought maybe my choice of food, so when my other half wanted Thai I thought Id give them another chance as they still get good reviews. Well on a cold , wet and windy evening we walked up and the first thing on opening the door is a sign saying " cash only" no apology for broken machine or anything. Then there was the welcome, oh sorry there wasn't the welcome, one man and two tables of two to serve and he didn't take any notice of us at all, so we sat down at an empty table and waited to be noticed, after five minutes we got menus, the door opened and a chap shuffled in and went to the back where the tired looking open kitchen is, took his coat off and it was the chef!! Where had he been? Unshaven, messy T shirt and not very clean apron, where had the Thai lady and her "family" gone? Table next to us raised a concern about their green tea not being green but black! After some discussion between the cook and waiter it turned out they couldn't explain the anomaly of what was written on the packet and what was in the pot!!!! At last the waiter came to us to take our order apologising for the delay as they were sooooooooooooooo busy , 6 customers?? My wife went for the masanam with mixed seafood and I for penang with duck, asked for a little coconut cream as too much last time I went there, the waiter brought a jug of water which was a nice touch if only there wasn't a big chip on the spout, and my beer, two more customers arrived then a chap for a takeaway who had to go back out to get cash. Now the waiter had become assistant cook and we wouldn't be seeing much more of him, eventually the food came out, put in front of us and that was it, after I had removed the stringy herbs from the top I found my curry not unpleasant and the few slivers of duck were tender but still this stringy herb that you couldn't really eat, my wife said hers tasted ok if a bit sweet but lacked one main ingredient which was the seafood!! 3 mussels, 2 prawns and 2 slice of squid!! the rest was potato ! She left the potatoes and when we finished again we waited, and waited till the waiter saw too clear our plates, now he asked how it was and I mentioned the lack of seafood which didn't seem to elicit any response. Off he went , no offer of coffee, or desert etc. cook came out next to turn the sign to closed ( 9pm!) Apologised again to another table as it was so busy, down to 6 customers now and all had been fed. Now I wanted the bill but the waiter, cooks assistant was now also the washer upper! So I had to go and ask him for it when he had time, he brought it over , I am so pleased they don't add on service or I think I would have been in hysterics. Wish Id had the exact cash cos 15p seemed to much of a tip for this shambles, would I go again, never!!

4 Thank Jonathan R
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
“My Thai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Sarah wanted Thai for her birthday. Some of the local places either aren't authentic enough or are on the slide so I picked out the top ranked Brighton Thai on Trip Advisor; bingo!
I gave 5 stars because Tootka's claims to be a Thai Café and on that basis I can't fault it. The friendly, honest service and lovely authentic food were exactly what you'd hope for.
We started with prawn toast, spicy squid and tom yum soup - Sarah's test of good Thai food - and they were great, as we're the curries that followed.
It's a cosy, informal place which was inviting on a rough November night. I guess Tootka's won't be a secret spot for much longer, it's well worth a visit.

Visited November 2013