“A great stay and well done to management and staff. Everything is up a notch here!”
Review of Imperial

Imperial
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We've just spent a few nights here (again) and I wanted to write to say what positive steps have been taken by the management and staff to improve the hotel. There's improvements and very good service everywhere - on reception, in the breakfast room and in the rooms. Improvements include painting/decorating some areas, general 'scrubbed-up-ness' of all the public areas and rooms. Everything is just a little bit more organised, a little cleaner, a little more tidy and cared for and it's very noticeable. This lovely old typical Brighton Hotel has been lifted up a notch. The breakfast too has been lifted up a notch - from the presentation to the quality of the food, the choices and serving. We love coming here and it's great to see the hotel is being cared for again. Well done everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
What an amazing review - thank you so much. Hopefully you can visit again from Australia before too long

It was kind of you to highlight the improvements we have made and more are in the pipeline to add to this grand Victorian lady's charm. She has given a great deal over the years but has more to offer

Renewed thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Perhaps The Imperial as a name is a bit grand for the place. But it was decent enough, we booked an overnight stay there for to attend a cookery class in Brighton.

We found a parking space right outside the total, we arrived at 6pm and benfitted from the max 2 hours stay until 8pm, then free overnight. The hotel offers a discount voucher for parking for a longer stay, but we didn't need it.

The room was clean, if not a little dated, the lighting was dim. The opener for the sash window was detached. Bed was too soft for us, but that's just a personal preference, being more used to a much firmer mattress. The shower was sufficiently powerful, but needed more volume of water, I seemed to be standing there for an age rinsing off the shampoo. The bathroom itself was very small, after a shower the loo roll on the holder was soaked, and in trying to dry myself when I stepped out from the shower, I banged my elbow on the shower screen (I'm 5'3" and a size 10).

Out of date newspapers in the lounge should be disposed of.

The reception staff was pleasant. The team working at breakfast was the best - so happy (great way to start the day) and helpful, nothing was too much trouble, 10/10 for them. Good selection of continent breakfast and full English on heated metal trays, which dried up the bacon. Scramble eggs did not look too appealing. Or there is the fish and poached and fried eggs or veggy sausages option to order. The upholstery could do with a steam clean to freshen up and rid of minor stains.

It's a 15 mins walk to the main part of Brighton along the sea front.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelUpsAndDowns
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
We appreciate this balanced review and some useful pointers, thank you which we will attend to, where possible

In train are plans to upgrade a number of the bedrooms having worked hard on the front of the building and enhanced materially the WIFI which is now complimentary

Hopefully we can see you gain and renewed thanks meanwhile
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife and I booked two nights at the Imperial for a long weekend away in Brighton. The service was nothing special and we found the hotel somewhat utilitarian. The room wasn't very clean and is showing some age. We were suprised that the bathroom had no shower, only a bath with a handshower, which could not be attached to the wall.
I would have been happy with such a stay, but not for the price we paid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
While we very much enjoyed your visiting from Southern Africa, equally we were sorry that your stay was not perhaps more memorable. The Imperial strives to provide value for money and takes its responsibilities seriously

We wish you well with your travels

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed at the Imperial Hotel in July during our great British heatwave. Unfortunately the room I was in was very stuffy as it was at the top of the building so it wasn't easy to sleep. Apart from that I found the hotel fine for a short stay and the breakfast was good. I want to comment on the service I recieved after my stay when I needed a copy of the receipt for work purposes. When I phoned Victor was helpful, attentive and took responsibility for sorting out my request. Although it took us quite some time to sort out a technical problem he displayed excellent customer service. Thank you - it is the small things like that I remember when I stay somewhere!

Room Tip: Single rooms at the top are under the eaves and slightly cramped.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you so much - it was a hot July!

Victor has not been with us that long but is proving to be a great addition to the team so your kind words have been just what the doctor ordered

Hopefully we can see you back from the West Country before very long and meanwhile, renewed thanks
uk
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I booked in to stay at the Imperial just 2 days before arriving on booking.com, very easy site to use and I was glad to get a room at such short notice. I use a crutch to walk and was helped to my room when I checked in, and was helped at breakfast in the mornings, each time by very helpful and polite staff. When I needed a taxi, they called it for me. If I needed anything all I had to do was ask and it was sorted. My room was huge given that it was a single - I had visions of a broom cupboard - the en suite was lovely, clean furniture, very comfy bed and a TV to watch when you are done for the day. The décor is looking a little tired in places, but the whole pace is clean and tidy, so you don't really notice after an hour or so. The lift is a little jerky and small, but most guests were patient and happy to wait for the lift or just use the stairs. The breakfast menu was gorgeous - I tried both the full English one morning and the continental the next and both were lovely. The freshly made items at breakfast just made it for me, they were gorgeous. The only negative I have are the creaky floorboards in the corridor and the room. I feel sorry for whoever was below my room, because I couldn't take a step without a creak or two. It's a very old building so I guess some creakiness is to be expected, but I did feel as though I had to creep and tiptoe everywhere. The 24hr reception is great. I have stayed in some very questionable hotels and b&b's in my time, so I know a good, simple, clean no frills hotel when I stay in it. All in all, I would very happily stay at the Imperial again. It's a great price, lovely staff, great food and a convenient location. Thanks for a lovely stay. :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
We like this no nonsense review and it was a delight looking after you....hopefully a return visit will beckon very soon. As you say the Imperial is like a grand Victorian lady and she has her secrets. We have a program of refurbishment in place which will gather pace in the winter. Already we have renovated the front of the building and increased the off street parking by 20% which gives our patrons greater choice

Guests like you are an absolute pleasure and make everything worthwhile so renewed thanks
london
Reviewed 30 August 2013

In spite of their own interpretation of how they view themselves with their preamble description, the hotel, whilst having a 3 star rating, just about reaches that assumption, given that several points need to be seen to.

Namely the room we had, 215, smelt musty and damp which, when this was mentioned on departure, the receptionist said probably due to the windows not being opened. Just so but it was only a small side window that could , and was, opened when we found the others tightly closed. Certainly the room was light and airy with good space around the two single beds that were very comfy. but the room lighting was dim, the bathroom had a handbasin that was broken, there was grime on the shower grouting and white paint slopped all over the bath panels down onto the flooring.

The breakfast room at the front of the hotel looking into the side street was set out to give hope the food would also be alright, but my "full English" had all of the scrambled egg, tinned mushrooms and bacon you could sole your shoes with, returned to the kitchen. The beans and sausage filed a hole.

Not really worth the extra £7-50 per person as there are many alternative eateries just up the avenue offering cheaper fare which might be worth a look.

Shame really as whilst not being on the sea front we did get a glimpse of the sea from the side window and as we had a disability blue card could stay overnight and all through the following day without paying for car parking.
jbce

Room Tip: ask to smell first !!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
We cannot easily identify with certain this review although are pleased these guests found a number of positive aspects to their stay. However we and our neighbours in First Avenue have been rather put out by the suggestion we live on a side street when it is one of Hove's premier thoroughfares. Similarly our fruit and veg supplier was saddened to read the remark about tinned mushrooms which is simply not the case with all food prepared freshly each day

Having said all this we appreciate this guest staying and for taking the time to write
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have been staying at the Imperial for the last few years when visiting Brighton. It's a great location in Hove just outside of Brighton, good for parking and if you prefer to be in a quieter spot but only a 10 minute stroll into Brighton city centre, then you can't go wrong with this hotel. Friendly staff as well! A special mention for Dilyana (might be spelt wrong?!) on reception.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
We really appreciate this review and your five stars - needless to say Dilyana [100% on the spelling] is over the moon and we cannot wait for your next visit

Warmest regards