“Rooms Hotter than the Fires of Mount Doom”
Review of Home Brighton

Home Brighton
Paris, France
“Rooms Hotter than the Fires of Mount Doom”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Urgh. Stayed here a few months back with four friends. What an awful, awful place. First and foremost, the staff seem to get pretty annoyed when you ask them anything at all, and seem to think that you're some freeloader trying to crash on their sofa as opposed to a paying guest. Secondly, do not stay here if you are from a cold country, because the rooms are approx. 1 hundred billion degrees centigrade. Thirdly, I was on the top of a triple bunk, and getting up and down the damn thing was pretty life threatening. The hostel is also in a pretty dodgy end of town- me and my friends were verbally abused at a nearby cashpoint.
Just don't do it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cecil_Y12345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

Don't stay here, stayed in a 15 bed corridor with no air conditioning apart from one poorly located fan, the window opened 10 cm MAX and the room was baking especially when filled with 15 people. The beds were stacked 3 high meaning no movement or sitting up. Although some of the beds had lights not all did, so proved difficult when people wanted to sleep. The breakfast was disappointing, with a huge queue for one toaster, and they regually run out of orange juice and provided warm milk,other drinks were not available. The service was poor with rude staff who seemed to be on a power trip and treated us like rubbish, although we were paying guests. The cleaner didn't knock when entering the room which caused major embarrassment when changing, and was frankly quite rude. We also found out when going to collect our deposit back that they had been in our room in the day time and taken pictures of our stuff. DON'T leave your valuables if they are going in and out the room without anyone knowing. There are much better and nicer places to stay and I advise you go there!!! Stay well away.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank LizziCaf

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Orpington, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I've stayed over a couple of times, the first time for over a week, now this is a hostel, not a hotel, and on that tune you do get what you pay for! For the amount I paid I have to say that is very good, specially because I felt quite safe, even though I stayed in a dorm with strangers and my bags were among other people belongings. So Journeys if I ever return to Brighton I'll sure stay with you! :)

Room Tip: I stayed in a dorm with other 11 girls and this was no problem to me, but if you're too funny, t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Gertrudes C
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed here on the jubilee weekend so we knew it would be busy but the hostel is right on the main road so the noise level was ridicous!! The room was a mixed 16 dorm so it was sweltering hot, no storage and one tiny window. The showers and toilets were few and far between and only checked once a day!!! Not recommend for cleanliness but an ideal location for the gay clubs!!

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Great bar, reasonable shower and toilets. Good service, central location, power points Chang clean bedding, but avoid if the weather is warm. Remember that our its a hostel so you are in the same room as ~15 other people, that is the nature of a hostel.

The bedrooms would be good except there is no flow of air through and they face south, so they get VERY HOT.(~10 degrees higher than outside) Tried to wedge the door open to allow air to go through, but staff remove it (safety I guess). This poor design is the reason I would avoid this place in warm weather.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank MalcfromKent
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Journeys in Brighton is a good place to stay if you are on a budget.

The dorms, beds (bunks), bathrooms and communal areas are cleaned to a high standard. Staff are friendly and pleasant. There is securely storage for your valuable and each dorm comes with it's own coded entry. Did I mention the free wifi!?! Another bonus is it is within easy walking distance of the train station and town centre. All in all I can't fault Journeys; I needed somewhere cheap to sleep while I was working in Brighton and Journeys provided that. If you're expecting the Ritz simply don't stay there.

My only worry was the mixed dorms but I needn't have been. It was okay, the guys in our dorms were gentleman (apart from one who brought back some random girl) and by my final night the girls outnumbered the guys. However it would have been nice to have the choice of mixed or single sex dorms.

One negative; my dorm was right next to the communal lounge so I had loud music keeping me awake all night ... and I finished work a 1am!! It was great that they kept the lounge "opened" so late because it kept the parties away from the dorms but not so great if you're sleeping in room 1.

Room Tip: Don't opt for room 1, it's right next to the lounge which can get very noisey during the nig...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank kiwigirlabroad
Leeds
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Dear Journeys

Many thanks, it was a great weekend had by all, sorry we missed breakfast

Will defo come back and recommend

Paul