“Not for me”

Home Brighton
Oxfordshire
“Not for me”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my first experience of staying in a hostel, and it will certainly be my last.
Reception is very good, booking in was easy and we went off to our room. The room was on the very top floor up many staircases. At the top of the stairs we discovered that the bathrooms on our floor were out of order. This meant a descent of the stairs every time you need the toilet. The room itself was small with the bunk beds quite literally crammed in. No storage, no table, no chairs, just bunks and a bin. The room was fairly clean, although there is some mould on the walls and the window frame was rotten. You have to make up your own bed, but the sheets etc were very nice and clean.
The bathrooms/ shower rooms are just about okay. Not over clean, but usable. The stairs in the hostel are steep and fairly narrow, and a bit grubby.
The main room on the ground floor is where breakfast is served. This consisted of cereals or toast. Tea and coffee making facilities and wash up after yourself. All okay for some, but not for me.
The location is excellent, although parking anywhere near is a problem.
Overall I would say great location, but hostel is very tired and somewhat grubby.Certainly lacking in facilities. I will not be back.

Room Tip: Book a B&B
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OxfordshirePuritan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had stayed at this hostel previous but never thought I would write or mention anything about the staff. Undoubtedly they are the best I have come across during my travels. The hostel itself needs a bit of work specially the showers, but apart from that I cannot fault the location and the excellent service I received from the staff.

• Stayed June 2014
Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I´d stayed in this hostel for one night and even when that was 18bed dorm, I felt very secure. I was very satisfied even with the staff. Everybody was so friendly, helpful and they was willing to give me tips and advices when I needed something know. I really recomend to visit this hostel - prices, staff, enviroment - the great satisfaction and the best choice!

Veronika Pauknerová

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My cousin and I stayed in this hostel for two nights and whilst Brighton was great, this hostel was dreadful. We didn't have high expectations of the hostel but when we arrived it was far worse than we had anticipated. The toilets smelt and were dirty, to the extent where we chose to use public toilets instead of using them at the hostel. Despite there being a sheet saying that the toilets had been checked at various points throughout the day, they did not appear to have been checked, with the bin overflowing and tissues all on the floor. The showers were also horrible, with mold all around them and they were so small that you couldn't avoid touching the walls and there was no option to not wash your hair because there was no way to avoid it getting wet. The pillows were also so thin it felt like you were sleeping on nothing and the beds were all so packed into the room that when someone moved, even if they were in the bunk-bed next to yours, then you felt it. Also in the rooms, you need to put in a pin to be let into your room, however it was very temperamental and we often had to try 4 or 5 times before we got in and when that happens when someone is trying to get in early in the morning and the door keeps beeping, it's not the nicest awakening! Also there was no kitchen for us to use- we saw one through a window but it looked very disused, with things hanging off the walls, and we weren't given an explanation as to why it was out of use. Another thing, is that none of the toilets or showers were open on our floor so we had to go down a couple of flights of stairs just to go to the toilet! The ONLY positive thing I would say is that the location is good, with it being close to the sea and the Lanes. BUT I would never stay here again and would never want any of my friends to stay here. I'm sure there are lots of nicer hostels in Brighton, with better management, better facilities and better cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 520kitty

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Hi well I arrived in journeys hostel on a Friday night and thought wow amazing people chatting and my bed was good then from Saturday it all changed.. The night manager Adam was all moody and not talking as much as before?? All the travelling guests were amazing.. Anyway on Saturday I got in my room someone had moved all my belongings off my bed on the floor.. I have a uncomfortable confrontation with a girl we went to reception to sort this and they just didn't care but informed the girl she was in a different bed.. So everything was fine.. The next day I went out and came back and some of my precious things were stolen.. Very shocked especially as your in a hostel.. Not fair I informed staff and they said go to police.. Another is the reviews about the shower and toilet are true disgusting and dirty and u have to push a button for the shower and ladies wear a shower cap if u don't wanna get your hair wet.. Anyway worse part was i had booked my friend to stay on Sunday night he arrived in the morning and the lady at reception was like Hi... In and out all day got ready together went out came back at 2am and he wasn't allowed in..?? I had already gone up to bed he informed me of this and me and the night manager had an argument my friend went and slept in his car for the evening I was horrified.. They said u should pay before but no one informed me and they should never assume u should know this I had booked mine and paid up in full and use to staying in hotels so u wasn't to know and plenty of chance to let us know.. Idiots anyway I came down in the morning and said to a different guy who is the manager he said he was... Lol I asked how I make I complaint.. And I didn't get an answer at all and he was so rude and even knew my name before I said... So Adam had obviously been saying about what happened.. Even if they said u can stay for free next time I wouldn't take it and I wouldn't ever come back and that's a big thing for me to stay.. I want you all to know this as there are so many other hostels in Brighton that are far more better.. So stay there as u may not get your items stolen.. Bad service.. And unhelpful and uninformative staff..
Other than that Brighton is awesome baby

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Mooloolaba, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

At first , we were skeptical ... But after the 1st night we fell on love !! Staff are amazing and beds are comfy !! Stated four nights .. Showers aren't the best but you get what you pay for ! Hate people who complain after all it is the cheapest there ... What do you except ! I loved it :)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank kiahstone
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at journeys for the great escape festival in Brighton for 4 nights. Amazing, kind and helpful people that work and live there permanently. Beds are comfy, breakfast is good for value and the location is central to everything in Brighton like the seafront, Laines and train station. Had so much fun and would definitely go back! If you dont mind showers that are a bit mouldy, but want to feel safe and looked after go there!!

• Stayed May 2014