“Amazing? Well the wall tiles were!”
Review of Rotana

Rotana
Ranked #554 of 1,124 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bognor Regis
“Amazing? Well the wall tiles were!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Firstly orders taken we sat and waited. We thought it was a nice touch to be offered complimentary nibbles to start. We tucked into the bowl of hummus and meat thingy only to have it snatched away mid fork full. They had served us someone else's food! I was somewhat amused as this food was given a minute or two later to other diners! This was my first visit to this restaurant and it will be my last. My friend ate something lamb with rice. It tasted only of all spice and was very one dimensional in flavour. I had lamb cutlets which were dry and very over cooked the ' French fries' were not French and I wouldn't be surprised if they had been purchased from a low cost frozen food supermarket tasteless and undercooked. The average score I have given is very generous. The furnishings were good and the wall tiles were amazing.

Visited February 2014

“Don't be put off by the pipe smokers!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The shisha smokers outside remind me of the Edgware Rd in Central London and they, together with the fairly run down exterior, can be a bit off-putting. However, I would say our food was good. We shared a mezze and a grilled chicken dish both of which were tasty. It isn't licensed so only soft drinks are available. The service is a little amateurish but pleasant enough. Total bill for 2 was under £30 which represented good value.

Hillsborough, United Kingdom
“Good Leabanese - well worth a visit”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Preston street is one of these places (like Queensway in London) where ther is a worl of cuisine on your doorstep. Accordingly there is good competition and good food to be had at reasonable money and this is no exception. One of the better Lebanses have eaten in over the last year or so. Authentic good quality food and decent portions. Very friendly staff who are happy to explain menu.

• Visited July 2013
London
“Birthday dinner - so disappointing”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I happened to be in Brighton with my parents for my birthday -- on a monday night -- everywhere was quite quiet so we thought the lack of customers was ok. All the reviews looked good so I was quite excited.

What a disappointment. I ordered sambousik which was supposed to be a lebanese pastry filled with feta and dried mint, what I got was greasy pastry triangles filled with possibly mozzarella? no mint. These sad specimans sat upon a yellowing iceberg lettuce salad that had one slice of green pepper (which should never be in a salad) and a couple of red peppers (unevenly cut). I couldn't force myself to eat it. My dad got some kind of minced lamb pitta to start which was awful and bland and not very hot. He also had the dire salad underneath. My mum had a lentil soup, which, although not inedible, didn't taste of anything. It didn't have the garnish of parsley or cumin.

For mains I had shish tawouk and my dad had the mixed grill. Fries were fine. The meat had a rubbery tupperware taste as if it had been reheated. My mum had okra which was fine but bland, and was served with a gigantic bowl of unseasoned rice.

The waiter offered chilli sauce which we were very happy about as the food was quite bland, but what arrived instead was mayo and ketchup. We couldn't get his attention to ask for some chilli sauce. The same waiter also brought my dad's requested coke after we finished the meal -- about 20mins late.

The one good thing was the Moroccan tea at the end -- i feel this is a place where you go if you know everyone and you want to smoke shisha. I didn't feel very welcomed and our waiter didn't really seem on the ball, despite us being the only customers eating food.

Regardless of service, when I compare this with the Moroccan / Lebanese food I am used to eating in London, I am outraged that it calls itself the best in Brighton. As it was my birthday, I was particularly disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Yummmm !!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

- Authentic Lebanese Food
- Felt like ordering quite a lot from the menu, but could only manage to do with a few dishes due to practical limitations. Had the lamb Kabseh which was absolutely awesome, the lamb would melt in the mouth. Also had the Sheekh Kebab with fries and salad and it was again yumm. As starters had hummus which came with the actual Kubbus (Pita Bread) and we knew we made a good decision considering the supermarket hummus we been eating all this way. Theirs was soooo much better..!! I have had lebanese food many a times previously in the Middle East and this was seriously comparable.

• Visited May 2013